Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Sad situation just occurred here in S/W Montana.
Last Friday, November 14th, a very large herd of Elk were "flushed" off a private ranch where they had been holed up since August.
A few years back the Elk began using the ranches in the vicinity, all fall/winter, as a refuge from Wolves.
Anyway the Elk headed off the ranch for some unknown reason and a firing line/gauntlet was quickly set-up by lurking Hunters.
The resulting "shoot-out" resulted in Hunters firing in the direction of other firing Hunters and tragically a 48 year old man was struck in the face by a high powered Rifle bullet!
Luckily, the Hunter is still alive.
Word is he lost his nose and jaw and will need steel plates to reconstruct his face.
This incident occurred three miles from my home!
I have reported here for three years now on this relatively new phenomenon of the Wolf wary Elk taking refuge on valley floor ranches from August through the winter, over the last few years.
Now the situation has taken a sad turn.
One report relayed how some of the Hunters began taking refuge from flying bullets behind their vehicles during the "Hunt"!
Again a very sad situation this - on several levels.
Sadly, as of yesterday and today, the Elk have now returned to the ranches in question.
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds familiar. Same kind of 'hunting' goes on in our backyard too.

http://helenair.com/news/local/upda...675aaeb-7d62-58bd-827f-e709e1f1ab4c.html

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
MontanaMarine: Thanks for the links to the informative articles.
They describe what is becoming of Elk "Hunting" in Montana.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sad situation just occurred here in S/W Montana.
Last Friday, November 14th, a very large herd of Elk were "flushed" off a private ranch where they had been holed up since August.
A few years back the Elk began using the ranches in the vicinity, all fall/winter, as a refuge from Wolves.
Anyway the Elk headed off the ranch for some unknown reason and a firing line/gauntlet was quickly set-up by lurking Hunters.
The resulting "shoot-out" resulted in Hunters firing in the direction of other firing Hunters and tragically a 48 year old man was struck in the face by a high powered Rifle bullet!
Luckily, the Hunter is still alive.
Word is he lost his nose and jaw and will need steel plates to reconstruct his face.
This incident occurred three miles from my home!
I have reported here for three years now on this relatively new phenomenon of the Wolf wary Elk taking refuge on valley floor ranches from August through the winter, over the last few years.
Now the situation has taken a sad turn.
One report relayed how some of the Hunters began taking refuge from flying bullets behind their vehicles during the "Hunt"!
Again a very sad situation this - on several levels.
Sadly, as of yesterday and today, the Elk have now returned to the ranches in question.
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Shaking head.... sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that's sad.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Damn woofs caused a guy to get shot in the face?

Keep pissing in the wind varmintguy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I keep hearing about the wolves running the elk off their normal range and keeping them holed up. I don't think the answer to this is to trespass, bump the elk, then get shot at by other hunters. People don't think rationally when it comes to elk. Have seen it too many times.

I will say that if hunters are shooting in my direction, knowing I am there, they are taking their own lives into their hands.

Rosco, you won't think it's very FF when wolves have overrun Utah and destroyed or chased off the elk population there. Maybe you'll begin to see how absurd this whole wolf fiasco has been.

It doesn't even in the most miniscule way detract from the morons blazing away with their rifles, regardless of who or what they hit.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I said the same thing you did,minus the estrogen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no hunting on the property where the elk congregate, but wolves pushed them on there. They step off and immediately get shot up, but the wolves pushed them back.

Got it.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sounds pretty reckless to me, might even be grounds for criminal charges if they can determine who fired the shot that struck the hunter..I've hunted Elk for many years and have yet to see an Elk worth getting into this kind of situation over !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those dang wolves!!!

Are they responsible for ISIS too? And illegal immigration?

What about Obamacare?!?!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I now hunt wolves [unsuccessfully] in what used to be Elk country because of the lack of other hunters. I also prefer wilderness areas due to lack of ATVs.

Also Elk are heavy and difficult to pack out.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And some us of wonder why so many ranchers post their land.

Last edited by super T; 11/19/14.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
rosco1: Indeed this situation would NEVER or extremely rarely had occurred before the Canadian Wolf introduction to Montana!
The Wolves indeed are causing continuous stress and drastically changing the habits for our Elk herds!
The majority of the blame certainly goes to the "Hunter" who got excited to see Elk finally coming off of private ground and let his excitement greatly diminish the due care and caution a Hunter should always invoke when shooting at game.
But if you think the Wolf re-introduction had nothing to do with the situation then you are simply a fool!
Yeah the damned woofs are partially to blame for this near fatal shooting!
Thank for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
The majority of the blame certainly goes to the "Hunter" who got excited to see Elk finally coming off of private ground and let his excitement greatly diminish the due care and caution a Hunter should always invoke when shooting at game.

No, not the "majority," the totality.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Lvmiker: Much of the Elk and Moose Hunting opportunities in the western part of Montana have been greatly DIMINISHED since the introduction of Canadian Wolves here!
I archery Hunted a secret drainage in SW Montana every September/October for 25 years and always had Elk to Hunt - now there are NO Elk there and the Moose population is next to nothing - but we got WOLVES!
Nothing in my secret spot but the occassional Wolf track and some scat with Moose hair in it.
Sad.
I am happy to see the increased tags for Wolves this year - if nothing else the greens in the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks know which side of their bread thats buttered.
After years of not selling out the Elk licenses and much lost revenue they are now trying to relieve the Elk decimation by selling more Wolf tags.
Anyone that thinks Wolves are not to blame for reductions in Hunting opportunities in western Montana is simply not paying attention (or is stupid!).
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some people adapt, others complain on the innernets. Probably why you always see the same guys with big bulls year after year and the same guys complaining year after year.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
HuntnShoot: You are absolutely 100% right on!
I pray the folks that live in and Hunt in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon and Arizona don't get HIT by the transplanted Candian Wolves like we here in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming have.
Those Canadian Wolves eat everything including Bighorns, Moose, Elk, Deer and I have even seen the Wolves chasing Antelope!
Last week we saw a black Wolf in the middle of a cultivated field not 6 miles from our county courthouse chasing Mule Deer!
"Moron" is indeed an apt descrition of the perpetrator of that harm to another human being.
I just got a phone call that relayed the bullet in question entered the victims nose, smashed through his cheek bone just below the eye and exited by his ear.
I just can't imagine the pain that poor soul endured (will continue to endure!).
More later - headed out for wildlife viewing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If there's so many wolves, why don't you go kill some?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.