Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475

Management should never agree to a contract that controls their destiny.

Nail on head...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by viking
If unions are not a huge part of the problem, why are other company's moving or wanting to move to right to work states.

A friend works for the RR, he said if the fridge don't work, the conductor/engineer area is dirty, or they don't have a locker they get to bill extra, like 20-50 bucks a day. Now I don't recall the exact amount but it was ridiculous.

That's because LEADERS were not chosen. Managers were chosen.

That's how unions win. They march on top of managers.

Don't promote a pussy. It will cost you in the long run.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I didn't imagine this thread would contain any pissing match.

In my thinking, with the employment situation in this country right now, if a company can't find a labor force that works hard, they aren't trying. Unions may have something to do with this, making it difficult to fire morons and slackers, but the ship is always steered by the rudder, no matter which way the wind is blowing.

The firearms market has gotten pretty competitive; yet the name Colt still means something to those who are looking for quality firearms. Colt has made so many bad decisions regarding their production and the guns they are putting out that they are screwing themselves. It has become all too common for big names to start putting out shyte in the interest of cost-cutting, and then losing market share.

When companies grasp that guns aren't thow-away items the way that appliances, cars, and computers have become, and that quality at a higher price will always win out in the long-term, they prosper. When they discard this simple understanding, they lose money. When the used market for older guns is consistently bringing higher prices than the new production guns, something is seriously wrong. I'd love it if Colt was still building their simple, rugged revolvers (like the Trooper) at a competitive price. Or their 'Snake' line. Maybe they are? I quit paying attention 10 years ago.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
...Colt�s biggest sin was their failure to innovate, and horrible marketing. THAT is a leadership problem, has nothing to do with the union.... they make the best production (non-custom/semi-custom) 1911 these days, with perhaps only Dan Wesson making a nicer 1911. Colt�s are fully the equal of anything coming out of Springfield Armory, and better looking aesthetically, just more attention to detail. And Colt�s beat Springfield & Kimber for the Marines contract. And did so with union employees whom some claim aren�t worth a crap.

I certainly agree that Colt's quality is superb and their innovation is lousy. Compare them to say, Mossberg or Savage. Not too many years ago, either name was synonymous with mediocrity at best, with Savage going thru bankruptcy��today, both companies seem to be kicking butt in the innovation department and they've done it without going after competitive shooters (which while a narrow market, drives innovation) or the Military (other than a modest Govt. contract for Mossberg).

The name "Colt," like "Winchester" is probably too iconic to die; hopefully they won't go the route of Remington/Marlin and get purchased by a Cerberus/Freedom Arms group�..I think that bean counters don't tend to make good gun company decision makers.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully the new owners move Colt to a state that still believes in the 2A, the Constitution, and one without a union albatross.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Funny schit that Colt can fail in today's climate.

"One of these is not like the other." And magically, the oddball is the same company that had a government dick in its mouth for some time.

SHOCKING.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

"One of these is not like the other." And magically, the oddball is the same company that had a government dick in its mouth for some time.

SHOCKING.

Travis

Been saying something about having just one client/customer. None want to listen.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 4ager

SHOCKING.

Travis

Been saying something about having just one client/customer. None want to listen.

Thai is definately a problem that lies at the feet of management.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by viking
If unions are not a huge part of the problem, why are other company's moving or wanting to move to right to work states.

A friend works for the RR, he said if the fridge don't work, the conductor/engineer area is dirty, or they don't have a locker they get to bill extra, like 20-50 bucks a day. Now I don't recall the exact amount but it was ridiculous.

That's because LEADERS were not chosen. Managers were chosen.

That's how unions win. They march on top of managers.

Don't promote a pussy. It will cost you in the long run.

Travis
Sometimes people can get by without being managed but they can never get by without being lead unless they're already where they need to be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well then, Management saves the day.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, I can wait a while on buying a new Commander smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully the new owners move Colt to a state that still believes in the 2A, the Constitution, and one without a union albatross.
Yeah, I'd love to see Colt's give the finger to the North East.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well that should help them limp along a little longer, but that's not a solution.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Yea, because moving to new, nonunion facilities has really helped the QC and reputation of Remington and Marlin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Yea, because moving to new, nonunion facilities has really helped the QC and reputation of Remington and Marlin.

Well you kinda have a point there, and a good point. I think the move is more political than union vs. non-union. When these companies move they need to put a real insistence on quality. Moving such an operation is a very tough thing and you can't expect it to not have its growing pains. But long term employees are hard to replace, union or no union.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe not that company, but the South Carolina non union Winchesters are very fine rifles. And competitive.

If my big game rifles were stolen today, I could - with the insurance settlement money- replace them all with off the shelf Winchester Model 70's and be a happy and VERY well armed big game hunter for the rest of my life and have some excellent rifles to hand down.

Here is another vote (not that our opinions or 'votes' mean squat) For the Colt name etc to get picked up by FN or a similar company. With Modern CNC equipment maybe the Pythons and Troopers and Diamondbacks could be re added to the line up along with a really good and well equipped 1911 for about $750 out the door.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sure as Hell helped Winchester/FN, and will help Beretta. I don't think you really want to play this game, unionista.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A long time ago UI created the print advertising for Colt. The guns sold like nobody's business but there was a small problem - the genius management at Colt tried to have the Cowboy made in Yugoslavia, they discontinued the Magnum Carry, and the Defender was almost impossible to find on a dealers shelf I was told by an "insider" that probably knew the entire story, that there were orders for 50,000 Cowboys and they could not be manufactured on the antique Colt equipment. One of the Colt chaps gave me TWO Magnum Carry revolvers that still grace my hip when UI am cruising the wilds. What a shame that a great company has fallen so low - and that such wonderful handguns have disappeared.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

Maybe not that company, but the South Carolina non union Winchesters are very fine rifles. And competitive.

If my big game rifles were stolen today, I could - with the insurance settlement money- replace them all with off the shelf Winchester Model 70's and be a happy and VERY well armed big game hunter for the rest of my life and have some excellent rifles to hand down.

Here is another vote (not that our opinions or 'votes' mean squat) For the Colt name etc to get picked up by FN or a similar company. With Modern CNC equipment maybe the Pythons and Troopers and Diamondbacks could be re added to the line up along with a really good and well equipped 1911 for about $750 out the door.
Puthons are dead and will never come back, that much I can promise.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 24 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.