-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Brain, Marc and I headed across the border for a weekend speed goat adventure. We decided to take our varmint AR setups. Marc numbered three .223 shells and we drew our shooting order. Brian was first, I was on deck and Marc was in the hole. It took us about 10 minutes to find the first good buck. He was on the opposite side of a winding creek. After a super stealthy stalk wink I lasered him at 601 yards and called a minute of wind. Brian dialed up the yardage on his custom turret and I told him to send it. The buck spun around and I called for a follow up shot. The buck dropped like a rock. Two seconds and two great hits with the 70 grain VLD's. Both bullets zipped right through the buck.
[Linked Image]
Next up, my turn. We spent about two hours looking over dozens of goats and found another worthy candidate. This time we had an irrigation ditch volunteering to host my buddy Kelsey and myself in what Kelsey called some serious skull dragging utilizing the micro terrain features. I don't even know what that means but it made me laugh. After about an hour of zigging, zagging, glassing and deliberating we made it about 260 yards from my buck. He didn't totally follow the script that I mentally designed, as I wanted a totally broadside shot. Instead he turned around and showed some indecision and gave me a quartering towards me shot. I slid the 70 grainer right into the boiler room and toppled him directly. Upon examining buck number two, the little VLD passed through the quartering shot as well. Two hours and two good bucks.
[Linked Image]
Now it's up to Marc: Marc likes to look at every animal on the mountain, name them all and make a list of pro's and con's for each buck. He is serious! We looked at hundreds of goats and had a blast doing it. When he found the one that he thought would look the best on his wall it was game on. We put a monster stalk on this buck and finally closed the distance. Brian and I held back and worked in line with the buck and Marc circled around. Marc got to a good vantage point that was 348 yards from his target. Brian and I couldn't see the buck initially as he was 200 yards in front of us but to low to see. A few minutes later we heard a "whack" and heard the sonic crack of the suppressed 70 grain bullet. Moments later the buck trotted out and stopped with a little wobble. Next we see the dirt on the backside of him and heard a a second "whack" right after the buck dropped. His second shot was just a hair over 500 yards and he too had both bullets pass through the antelope.
[Linked Image]

Brad Dana
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great antelope! Way to get it done quickly. Congrats!

Golden............
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice going! When you say the 70gr VLD "zipped through" Do you mean there was no expansion?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Great story, fun detail and some nice looking goats. I'll bet you guys are a blast to hunt with!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like a fun weekend, congrats.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the goats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done! Interesting, and effective, rifles!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you need a different bullet for a single shot/kill myself....:)
Nice goats you all ended up with in that short time also.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
We definitely have field tested these rifle/ bullet combos this year. The setups accounted for 5 goats that weekend, a number of deer and a whole bunch of coyotes, fox, and other assorted predators this fall. With an AR the follow up shot often times happens even if it's not mandatory. I have another 7 to 8k VLD's that I plan on putting to good use.

Brad Dana
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very well done all the a around!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gotta say I was relieved when I opened the thread, I thought the title was describing a sequel to Brokeback Mountain grin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What load are you running.?

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
601 yards with a .223... shocked Nice shooting.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Grand, we are using 24.3 grains if Varget.
LBP, we had good conditions for the shot. That is, however, pushing the limits of what we are comfortable with using a 223. Bullet selection is critical in my opinion also. This setup worked well for big game this year. We have
around 50 predators with this setup this year also and it lacks in the expansion dept sometimes.

Brad Dana
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nicely done gents

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bones, are you running a crimp on those loads?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Grand, no crimp on any of our rifle loads. We have all of our ammo professionally loaded to our specs.

Brad Dana

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.