Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
JB, just received my copy of your latest book and have some questions on binoculars. I also have your older, Optics for the Hunter. My primary hunting bino is the Leupold Wind River Porro I.F. 7x30, made in Japan. I really like the fact that with the individual focus, objects are in focus without having to dink with a focus wheel. These are at least 25 years old. I'd like to maybe get some better glass but would prefer I.F. I'm not finding much out there. I'd appreciate your opinions on I. F. vs center focus and any recommendations on brands and models of both kinds.

Thanks in advance and thanks to Eileen for the advice on aging the deer I don't have yet.

Thanks.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 11/20/14.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Anson,

Those Leupolds were pretty good binoculars, especially for the price!

There aren't many IF binoculars made anymore, but Steiner's military models include several. I just tested a few models and they're pretty darn good optically. From the sound of it you'd probably be most interested in the 8x30, but it costs considerably more than the Leupold did back in its day, around $800.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
JB, I found a Steiner MM30 for $249. What model did you test? Looks like all their military models have I.F.

Optically, does I.F. equal center focus if quality is the same?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I tested the M30, which is the higher-priced model.

IF doesn't affect optical quality.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why isn't IF more popular? It is so quick and convenient to use a bino with it, without having to adjust focus back and forth like a CF binocular.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Partly because bird-watching is a HUGE part of the binocular market, and birders typically glass at closer ranges than hunters, so need to change focus rapidly. Plus, some hunters prefer center-focus, especially in less open country. So optics companies make what sells to the most customers.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Partly because bird-watching is a HUGE part of the binocular market, and birders typically glass at closer ranges than hunters, so need to change focus rapidly.

Yeah, that may be true, but anything past about 20 yards or so is in focus, without having to adjust anything (other than when you first get them). You can't change focus any more rapidly than that ;-)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, that may be true for lower-magnification binoculars, it sure isn't for many 10x binoculars. Even if you focus them for 50 yards, they usually have to be tweaked for longer distances.

And bird-watchers often look at birds well under 20 yards. That's why binoculars in tended for the birding market sometimes focus down to under 10 feet.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I agree. Imagine if you had to focus your riflescope before shooting game. It's in focus just like the IF binos. Birders have more time to fiddle with focus, I would think.

Where I hunt, there usually isn't a lot of time to evaluate a deer and then transition to the rifle.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I tested the M30, which is the higher-priced model.

IF doesn't affect optical quality.

JB, I know the only way to know is to compare side by side, but have you done any tests of the lower priced binos? Say $300 or less. I've read a lot of Looney Newsletters but don't remember anything but some scope tests. I'm wondering how the MM30 Steiner would compare to my old Leupolds. May have to take them with me to the bino store.

Also, how good are the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and 8x30? In your book, you mention having the 6x30. My wife might be interested in those.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, binoculars have to be tested side-by-side, because magnification plays a definite role in perceived brightness and sharpness. There aren't very many variable-magnification binoculars out there, and most aren't all that good. So I compare binoculars to the best of each basic size I have on hand, which are usually very good.

The 8x30 MM30 held up pretty well against a Swarovski EL 8x32. The Steiner wasn't as bright, but was very close in sharpness. Also, many of the Steiners have "wings" on the eyecups to block out side-light, which brightens the view considerably. With the wings out, the Steiner was very close to the Swarovski in brightness as well.

On the down side, the wings prevent using glasses. If you wear glasses and take them off to use the Steiner with the wings, it has to be refocused, which is more difficult with IF.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a pair of Wind River 10x42s. The original models. I love them. I use the center focus to look THRU the thick timber. I can focus from 20yds to 100 with a small turn of the wheel. It brings out things that you may not see with a constant focus bino. As you roll the focus, individual thing stand out to you very easily, without having to pick them out from the entire forest.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I think somebody mentioned that technique in the book!

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey Anson, Black Friday is coming up. I got a pair of Leupold Yosemite 6x30s for my grandkids at a Black Friday sale last year for $64, so keep your eyes open!

PS. They are also my backup binos for elk hunting...and my primary binos for any hunting that puts me in the timber more than scanning open areas. Their light weight makes them a delight to carry, and the optics are far better than the price would lead you to believe.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the heads up. If you see a deal, shoot me a PM or post it here please.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are interested in IF Steiner's, as John indicated, go for the Nighthunter series, Commander V's and Military Series and not the Military/Marine series. The upper end series have much better glass and coatings and are built to a toughnes standard. I've owned a bunch of Steiner bino's and their upper end series are much better optically than the Military/Marine series. I've owned just about every roof prism series model they've made along with their 7x50 Whitetails, 6x30 Whitetails, 8x30 Hunting Series, 8x42 Predators, 8x42 Peregrines, 8x44 Peregrine XP's and a pair of their 8x56 Nighthunter XP's. The Peregrine XP's rival any bino made today.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Nighthunter scopes are pretty darn good as well, both optically and mechanically.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.