Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have recently acquired a Mauser Sporting Rifle and am uncertain as to its origins I will be following up this post with pictures in hopes someone can help me figure out what I have.

Last edited by Biggun113; 11/20/14.

The new fads of tactical firearms and matte black finishes doesn't appeal to me, give me a well made classic rifle with beautiful blue and well figured walnut and I'm satisfied to have a rifle with a soul
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

The new fads of tactical firearms and matte black finishes doesn't appeal to me, give me a well made classic rifle with beautiful blue and well figured walnut and I'm satisfied to have a rifle with a soul
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I apologize for so many pictures but hope it helps figure out what this rifle is and where it's from, the front sling swivel is 6mm wide as is common in Europe the barrel is unmarked no chamber designation or makers marks anywhere on it. The rifle is chambered in 8x57 Mauser. The sling mount and sights are sweated to the barrel the rear sight being the common 2 blade rear sight. The claw mounts seem unusual to me on the rear mount I'm not sure what the rear ring looks like as the scope and rings didn't come with the rifle. The stock is a typical European design with very thin width and schnable forend but lacks the usual reenforcement ovals on either side of the receiver, the reciever serial number matches the stock but the bolt and all other metal parts have a number 742 on them that don't correspond to the receiver and stock, the bluing is very nicely polished and uniform, the trigger guard looks to be hand formed, the set triggers have a crisp but heavy pull on the single stage and very crisp and light on the set stage, the rifle feeds well and functions flawlessly. The stock is marked with the receiver serial number and B&B on the bottom of the pistol grip. The front claw mount is dovetailed into the receiver on the front ring.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hard to say, a guild or cigarette military rebuild? Look for proof marks they can help with date. Mounts for the claw mount scope bases can be expensive.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Smith, I'll look over the rifle closer for proofs I know there are some on the bottom of the receiver but can't remember what exactly, I know the follower has an old English font D under crown there are several letter under crown markings in places on the rifle

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Cigarette military rebuild? I'm not familiar with that term

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guild guns were built by the German gunsmith's around WW1 to WW11, a cigarette rifle was built by German gunsmiths post WW11 for cigarettes.. Many GI's traded cigarettes, food etc for custom rifles during the post WW11 era.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.