Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9349161 11/19/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I lost or misplaced my beloved Pentax DCF WP binoculars. I had them for many years and I am now researching glass that is south of $500.00

The Zen ED3 8x43 has caught my attention, but I have not held them. Do you have a pair? Would you buy them again?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have the 10x42's and love them, and yes I would buy them again.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I feel your pain - went through the exact same thing last year. Misplaced my Zeiss 10x40 Classics and had to find a replacement. I called Cameraland inquiring about the same Zen Rays as you. They had a special going on Minox and felt they were the best I could do under $500 at that time. I ordered both Minox and Zen Ray to compare - I ended up keeping the Minox, though the Zen Ray were every bit as good to my eyes. I understand that model Minox is no longer available, so if choosing today, I wouldn't hesitate on the Zen Ray.

I found my Zeiss right after hunting season burried on a back shelf in the safe crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have the 8x43, but have been using the 7x36 ED2 for several years.

I bought the ED2 direct from Zen Ray (offices are local) and Swaro 8x30 SLC-neu from a local store. I also have a Swaro Laserguide which is optically similar/same to the SLC-neu.

I spent about a week comparing the ED2 to the SLC-neu... dawn, dusk, bright days, cloudy days. They were very similar everywhere, except in lowlight. Hands-down the 7x36 was brighter. For one test, I viewed a neighbor's roof with grey shingles of various shades. With the SLC-neu, the shingles were big blobs with no distinction in shape or shade (it was getting very dark with little light remaining). With the Zens, I could see each individual shingle, and its shade. Stunning difference, but the Zens are 36mm. Still, the price difference was huge.

In all other areas they were similar, except some eyepiece reflections on the SLC-neu (more than annoying with sun over the shoulder). And the ED2 is not sharp all the way to the edges. This is somewhat misleading though... the FOV is HUGE and you don't notice the edges unless you literally roll your eyes to the edges. In normal viewing you just see a big image with nice sweet-spot.

In the end, the SLC did nothing better compared to the ED2 for me. I returned the SLC and kept the Zens. Since then, I have compared the ED2 to my LaserGuide (same as SLC) hundreds of times while in the field under various conditions. As noted in my previous tests, there was nothing I could see better with the SLC.

Right now I'm thinking about the Conquest HD, soley for the Lotu-tec since I hunt in the rain a lot. If it wasn't for that I'd stick with the ED2. ED2 will go to the kids or classifieds if I get the Zeiss.

Jason

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice write-up Jason

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one of the "open box" specials a couple of years ago.

Personally I think the Zen Ray ED3 8x43's are tough to beat. I was just using them tonight deer hunting at dusk, watching deer 40 yds away in the woods that I wouldn't have been able to see without them.

I highly recommend them.

Dan

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've been happy with the Zen-Ray I have. Optically they compare very well to the Leica's I have. Obviously they are not built as stout as the Leica but I have had no trouble with them at all.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Z-R ED3 8x43 about 18" away from my computer here in my home office. I use them to admire the deer coming to my 2 corn feeders to the west and to the NE of my office windows.

I also own a Pentax DCF WP in 10x50, as well as a DCF SP in 8x32.

Although not an apples-to-apples fair comparison, the ED3 leaves the very capable WP choking in the dust. The images just seem to jump out of the Z-R with admirable clarity for such an inexpensive glass.

FWIW, the Pentax SP is a particular favorite of mine. I would rate the SP even with the ED3 optically, but I find the ergonomics of the little Pentax to be darn-near perfect for me. The SP has accompanied me to Africa twice now. Interestingly, on my last trip, my brother went with me and used a ED2 in 8x43. Both of us were more than satisfied with our choices.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Good thread. Used to post a lot here under the same name back 2006-2010 or so. The Zen Rays were new back then and being made in China, controversial with some folks. Leaving the philosophical-political China question out of the equation, there was no doubt they were very-very good, vying for best bang for the buck title, but longevity was a question. Even though they had a great warranty some people worried they might not be around long compared to Zeiss, Leica, Swaro and Nikon.

To me for that price the gamble is worth it, but I'm wondering a few years down the road, how have they held up? I'm getting the itch again. I just took my eight year old 8x42 Ultravids and 8x32 SE's in to a local shop and compared them to the new Swaro 8x32 EL SVs. I came away impressed how well my Leica's have held up to the latest and greatest. The Leica's have way more off axis CA than the EL's, but in every other respect held their own.
I decided rather than sell my Ultravids at a loss to buy new Swaro's, I'd keep them and maybe buy a Zen Ray 7x36 or 10x43 Prime.

Last edited by GlacierJohn; 11/20/14.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
[i][/i]
Originally Posted by JGray
I feel your pain - went through the exact same thing last year. Misplaced my Zeiss 10x40 Classics and had to find a replacement. I called Cameraland inquiring about the same Zen Rays as you. They had a special going on Minox and felt they were the best I could do under $500 at that time. I ordered both Minox and Zen Ray to compare - I ended up keeping the Minox, though the Zen Ray were every bit as good to my eyes. I understand that model Minox is no longer available, so if choosing today, I wouldn't hesitate on the Zen Ray.

I found my Zeiss right after hunting season burried on a back shelf in the safe crazy

That worked out pretty well... wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glacier John,

Are the Zens' still being made in China?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pullit
I have the 10x42's and love them, and yes I would buy them again.

Same here....son and I both have the slightly older ED2's, 10x42's Great optics.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Has anyone tried the new 10x42 HD bino's from Zen Ray?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Glacier John,

Are the Zens' still being made in China?

The company headquarters are in the US and they are designed there, but their optics are built in China. At least they were last time I checked.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.