Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm in the process of trading the equity of my house for a motorhome...(great deal if it goes well)... Being a current resident of Ca. I'm looking at establishing residency in one of the neighboring states...My basic concerns are vehicle fees/smog...gun laws...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nevada.
No state income tax.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I too would support Nevada as a great base of operations. Avoid Clark County as your reg and insurance will make you shidt your pants. Lincoln and Nye Counties are OK w/ Lincoln getting my vote. I live in NW Las Vegas and tomorrow will be looking for elk and coyotes 1 hour from my house in 50* temps. Summer sucks w/ great vigor.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nevada is better than California, but it's no paradise. They have a serious bureaucracy here and they'll nickle and dime you to death on everything under the sun to make up for not having an income tax. Cops are a bit overbearing on the highways, they'll pull you over for anything you can imagine; just another tax if you ask me.

No, I'd recommend Arizona or Texas. If it were up to me, I would have never left Arkansas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You around Lone Mountain...?

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Az for gun related issues...can be cool in the summer in the motorhome up on the rim and warm in the winter too...

K
kup Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
some good info in this thread and some of the links about full time RVing and where to have your legal residency

home base

kup
(coupe)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SD.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I'm in the process of trading the equity of my house for a motorhome...(great deal if it goes well)... Being a current resident of Ca. I'm looking at establishing residency in one of the neighboring states...My basic concerns are vehicle fees/smog...gun laws...

You said neighboring states, but that aside, the best are South Dakota and Wyoming, in that order, from a tax and certain other standpoints. With a motor home, you can be physically anywhere aside from your residence.

I have spent a lot of time on this very issue over the past two years and consulted with several experts. both for myself and for my clients.

Residency, more particularly domicile, matters most if you have substantial assets, and those two states are important for those folks, with Nevada coming close. In your case, Nevada may fit the bill.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can anyone think of a drawback to Wyoming? One consideration would be if the OP hunts, and what resident licenses would be available to him in his state of residency.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You and George in SD could be roomies. grin

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Do all the counties in Az. require smog checks? Nevada??? I wouldn't mind spending 6+ months at a time in either, but smog checks are a deal killer....I know for a fact that a "too clean" of an engine will fail a "smog check"...at least in Ca....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do all the counties in Az. require smog checks? Nevada??? I wouldn't mind spending 6+ months at a time in either, but smog checks are a deal killer....I know for a fact that a "too clean" of an engine will fail a "smog check"...at least in Ca....

Cochise don't,...and AIN"T gonna.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Az rural areas are a no I believe...but if you set up your residence in a metro area yes. Tucson smog checks are much less stringent thant Phx in my experience.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Should have said major metro area...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

to answer your question, no they don't just maricopa and pima(tucson) require smog checks. The yearly tax on vehicles can be onerous on a motor home. So do what others do, register it through a LLC in oregon for about 25bucks a year. I have run into quite a few people who winter on the desert, gets hot, they go up on the rim. Number of times i have been in a blizzard up around williams, and when i got close to phoenix the a/c went on. You can get a CCW permit in arizona to facilitate buying guns and going out of state. But you have the legal right to carry in this state without a permit.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hell, come to Texas. As pro-gun as it gets, year-round hunting and no property taxes.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't know WTF you mean by that, but I'm not looking for "roomies"...only pertinent information...if you don't have anything to offer other than your thinly disguised "gay" humor, please spare me & us, your feeble attempts at justification of your sexual preferences.....fuggin dick weasel...

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Cochise don't,...and AIN"T gonna.

GTC

Thanks G...I'll prolly be gettin hold of you in the near future. I still got to check some things on the MH, but if the guy is serious, I may be out of here before the end of the month...I didn't realize schitt could roll so quick.... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Hell, come to Texas. As pro-gun as it gets, year-round hunting and no property taxes.

Whaddya mean by "no property taxes"...?
We didn't have a state income tax there, but the property taxes on our house were outrageous...!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.