Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by birddog65
Our domestic oil production has already lowered the price of SAUdi oil. The more we drill the lower the price. Remember "drill baby drill" she was right.

I remembered enough to do a look-see...
October 2, 2008 Vice-Presidential debate:
Joe Biden stated that McCain thinks "the only answer is drill, drill, drill. Drill we must, but it will take 10 years for one drop of oil to come out of any of the wells that are going to be drilled."

Sarah Palin replied "The chant is 'drill, baby, drill.' And that's what we hear all across this country in our rallies because people are so hungry for those domestic sources of energy to be tapped into.�

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I work inside the 2nd largest (maybe 3rd now) refinery a lot and I didn't realise how much crude is coming into a refinery via rail. Seems really ineffecient to me, but I dunno. Maybe because the one I do work with is connected to the pipeline infrastructure include the LOOP (pipeline connection offshore that they unload to) and has a dock on the MS river for tankers.

I love tankers. Apparently they like to run over stuff at the dock and smash into them on a regular basis. Good for my business lol. Not enough to damage the tanker but the dock structures just don't have a long lifespan lol.

Otto is my co-pilot.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Didn't read the thread but I'm sure the answer is money in politician's pockets.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
As for the deaths and injuries, check Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents#United_States )

As for the number of incidents, check:
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States_in_the_21st_century )

As for other facts on pipelines, check: ( https://opsweb.phmsa.dot.gov/pipelineforum/facts-and-stats/incidents-and-mileage-report/ )

True, there a a number of extra jobs that will be aided by the pipeline (e.g., retail sales, auto sales and mechanics, etc.), the fact remains that many of these jobs already exist and will not be newly created.

And, the fact remains that pipeline accident clean-up is expensive and should be paid by the pipeline, not the US taxpayer. If TransCanada, an international company, desires to walk away from a spill and not pay for the clean-up, it will be the taxpayer who pays. Certainly, paying eight cents per 42 gallon barrel into the Trust Fund is not too much to pay.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If TransCanada, an international company, desires to walk away from a spill and not pay for the clean-up, it will be the taxpayer who pays.

I know your here for damage control, and to parrot your president, but ask BP about anteing up after a spill.

As to jobs, I suppose a few is too many huh?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by djs
As for the deaths and injuries, check Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents#United_States )

As for the number of incidents, check:
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States_in_the_21st_century )

As for other facts on pipelines, check: ( https://opsweb.phmsa.dot.gov/pipelineforum/facts-and-stats/incidents-and-mileage-report/ )

True, there a a number of extra jobs that will be aided by the pipeline (e.g., retail sales, auto sales and mechanics, etc.), the fact remains that many of these jobs already exist and will not be newly created.

And, the fact remains that pipeline accident clean-up is expensive and should be paid by the pipeline, not the US taxpayer. If TransCanada, an international company, desires to walk away from a spill and not pay for the clean-up, it will be the taxpayer who pays. Certainly, paying eight cents per 42 gallon barrel into the Trust Fund is not too much to pay.

As I suspected you are proffering a dishonest argument. Keystone is a crude oil pipeline. To get the numbers you wanted, you had to conflate it with natural gas pipelines.

In addition you failed to address the real question, how many INCREMENTAL deaths are associated with pipelines. In other words, if you compared the deaths and damage associated with moving this product by pipeline, would that number be more or less then doing so by the next best method, as if so, by how much.

You seem to believe there is a better solution, so what is it?
Continue shipping by rail, stop all this oil at the border, or something else?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kraky111
I wonder where rail infrastructure is manufactured...must be booming.

The Fort Worth plant is supposed to be able to turn out 3 locos a week headed to 5.The GEs biggest domestic customer BNSF..no surprise there... took delivery of 17 locos from FW last year none of which would run.
BNSF has demanded all future orders be built at the GE Transportation plant in Erie.Pa. Will see how long that lasts.The FW plant is state of the art.Apparently all the wets they have working for them have problems with high tech manufacturing.

The Erie plant was opened in 1906.Currently has about 3200 workers.Has its own power plant,water treatment plant,mini hospital,police force,and its own zip code.Right now there putting out about 14 locos a week.Thats both domestic and overseas orders.Best year I can remember was 2008 before the crash.We did 22 locos a week with help and 24/7 work load.

The Erie plant makes locos and all the guts for off Highway Vehicles.OHV has taken a big hit because of our raghead dear leaders war against mining.The GE had a layoff back in Dec.377 people lost there jobs.Pretty much because of OHV.The GE has hired all but 100 back and the 100 will be back by the end of Jan.Then because of orders and retirement we hear that they will be hiring more.I hope so.We should be good for the next 3 to 4 years.Pipeline or no.

So we are not booming.But we are busy.

I spent 30 years as a tool and die maker building very high precision plastic injection molds.
I made the chit.
The trade deals signed by chi-com echo sucking american politicians.Have pretty much ended high precision manufacturing in this country.
Nowadays I make the chit that transports the chit.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Dave, I really appreciate your post. Especially this part:

Originally Posted by dave7mm
Apparently all the wets they have working for them have problems with high tech manufacturing.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Apparently all the wets they have working for them have problems with high tech manufacturing.

It's illegal for a company to hire illegals, and they face huge fines when they get caught. But then again, GE is Obama's go-to company and any time they can move work to a blue State, they do. Bless your heart for having to put up with it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The transportation plant is a fixture here.
If you live here you either know someone or are related to someone that works there.In the mid 70s there were 14000 workers.Back in the 50s there were 20000.
My dad always called it a one horse town. And he didnt work there.
Just a few years ago the average age of a GE worker was about 56.They have had waves of retirement here the last 10 years or so.And the GE has pretty much wiped out the machine, tool and die and autobody shops.Hiring new people. They actually have a higher skilled workforce now then 10 years ago.Its been tuff on the little guys though.

For years the place was never on my radar.I started in the tool and die trade at 15 and never expected to do anything else.Im more surprised than anyone that I actually work there..

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear
If TransCanada, an international company, desires to walk away from a spill and not pay for the clean-up, it will be the taxpayer who pays.

I know your here for damage control, and to parrot your president, but ask BP about anteing up after a spill.

BP has antied up a lot of money in cleaning up the Gulf ($27-28 billion)

And the "White House says 75% of oil captured, burned off, evaporated or broken down as 'static kill' operaion shows signs of working" according to "The Guardian" newspaper (see: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/aug/04/bp-static-kill-successful ), but, 75% means that 25% still remains, after spending about $28 billions (see: http://www.bp.com/en/global/corpora...ill&gclid=CM6Fm8rUkcICFU4V7Aod-1QAfQ )

And, there is no "too few" jobs; all jobs are important. but, at what cost or potential cost. If a leak in the KP occurs, who will pay for it and will a limited number of jobs justify it? As an Alaska resident, perhaps y0ou can speak for the Alaska fishermen whose livelihoods were impacted by the Exxon Valdez a long time ago or, don't their jobs count?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by watch4bear

BP has antied up a lot of money in cleaning up the Gulf ($27-28 billion)

And the "White House says 75% of oil captured, burned off, evaporated or broken down as 'static kill' operaion shows signs of working" according to "The Guardian" newspaper (see: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/aug/04/bp-static-kill-successful ), but, 75% means that 25% still remains, after spending about $28 billions (see: http://www.bp.com/en/global/corpora...ill&gclid=CM6Fm8rUkcICFU4V7Aod-1QAfQ )

And, there is no "too few" jobs; all jobs are important. but, at what cost or potential cost. If a leak in the KP occurs, who will pay for it and will a limited number of jobs justify it? As an Alaska resident, perhaps y0ou can speak for the Alaska fishermen whose livelihoods were impacted by the Exxon Valdez a long time ago or, don't their jobs count?

So now you want to shut down all oil tanker shipments, as well as all pipelines?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course he does, he's a democrat...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Took the words out of my mouth. Other than that CRF problem you have, you are a really smart guy. laugh

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What CRF problem? I shoot Weatherbys, unless you mean the fail on fire safety, glued on bolt handle, and sheet metal extractor issues perhaps? smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.