Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I really like my 06 Dodge Cummins diesel quad cab, but there's just not enough room in the back seat for trips with the whole fam. I don't tow enough to justify a diesel but do need a 3/4 ton to tow the camper. So I'm seriously considering selling it off next year and getting something with a bigger back seat. I've been happy and frustrated with all three manufacturers in my life so really don't have any brand loyalty. I'm thinking 2010 or newer but doubt I'll buy new, I'm too rough on my trucks to buy new and still sleep at night.

I'm leaning toward the Dodge hemi in their crew cab since they did away with the quad cab. I don't need their mega cab room. But I'm going to look at GMs and Fords too. I'm not in a big rush, but my family will wonder what's wrong if I don't research it to death.

Any opinions?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not a huge fan of Ram trucks,but I think the 6.4 would be sweet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.4 looks cool but check out this website first. Not quite sure what was wrong with the 6.4, but it is a bit disturbing.

6.4 test

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you like the Dodge/Cummins, find another one with bigger cab. It's nuts to get a 3/4 ton crew cab with gas engine. You don't need to tow much with it for diesel to make sense. And when you do tow it's a whole nicer with torque. My diesel is driven every day and very seldom used for towing, and I'd never consider trading it for a gas engine. No matter what brand, gas won't get near the mileage of a diesel and it sure's h#ll won't have near the power.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^ I sort of agree. With any anything short of local towing, a diesel makes sense. If you don't tow you don't need a diesel.

Cons:
Diesel costs more up front.
Fuel is quite a bit more.
Newer diesels don't get the phenomenal mileage older ones do.
Maintenance is just a little bit more.
Repairs can be a lot more.

Pro:
You get most/all/more than all of the increased cost back at resale.
Power
Power
Power (especially at low RPM's)
Durability (but the rest of the truck can fall apart around the drivetrain)

I have a 2011 duramax. Gobs of power, but there are some issues. I suffer from fairly frequent regen's, which lower daily driving MPG to around 14.5. A gasser getting 11 MPG would be cheaper on fuel.

There is a fuel pump (CP4) that the big three use that is known to grenade at fairly low mileage. Some folks report it as early as 50,000 miles. It costs $13,000 or so to fix. I'll say that again. It costs $13,000 to fix. The pump is expensive and in the valley of the engine, and when it goes it sends metal through EVERYTHING fuel touches. All the rails, injectors need to be removed and replaced when the pump goes. You could buy a new gas engine and tranny for $13,000. The pump is made by Bosch and is not rated by Bosch to be run on the crappy SCAR rating U.S. ULSD gets. The big three run the pump anyway.

If I only towed locally, I would get a gasser. I tow maybe 4,000 miles a year, and a decent amount of it is at altitude and on grades. I have still considered switching to a gasser next go around (until I watch videos like the one I posted).

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cummins is NOT using the CP4. They are still using the more reliable CP3. Just FYI.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Chevy 3/4 ton 08 with the 6L gas engine and my buddy had a Ram 06 1/2ton with a hemi. We got very similar mileage towing the same trailer but my 3/4 was more stable. You couldn't use cruise control at all. We both bought diesels, me a Chevy, him a Ram and both are very happy! Look for a newer used diesel!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger
Cummins is NOT using the CP4. They are still using the more reliable CP3. Just FYI.

Good to know. I have never owned a Ram but the CP3 is better than the CP4 in that it doesn't send metal through the fuel system when it fails. Some Duramax guys are converting to the CP3 with a kit, but it is pretty expensive.

Last edited by K1500; 11/21/14.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, all. Good info. I didn't know about the fuel pump. That video of the Dodge vs. GM is pretty telling. Based on the comments, it seems like there is a little question about how the driver ran the test. But apples to apples, it makes the Dodge look horrible.

Please keep the comments coming! I do like the power of all the diesels, I just don't think I tow enough (5-6 times/year) to justify the cost.

sd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I really want to like the big Hemi, but it seems like they maybe have the wrong gear ratios paired with it. Forget about how many times you tow, how many total miles per year, what type and weight of trailer, and in what terrain (mountains, flats, altitude)?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few comments........

Forget about "need"......towing or not, If you like the power of a diesel is all that matters. No way a gas engine will make diesel power at a useable rpm. And no way will a gas engine be as economical under load. Your comment about the truck falling apart around the drivetrain.......diesel and gas trucks are the same except for the engine, a diesel engine under the hood won't make it fall apart any sooner.

That first gen CP4 isn't as good as the CP3 but you're making a bigger deal out of it than it is. (And btw, Ford and VW also use the CP4, not Dodge) You hear about the failures but there are tons of them out there with no problems. One friend works in a big diesel shop and LML's come in very seldom for an injector pump, and of those that fail most are on warranty. It's a hassle taking one out but some guys have switched to a CP3. Today's ultra low sulfur doesn't lubricate well and a fuel additive takes care of the problem. Simple. I don't care for the new body style but that CP4 pump wouldn't keep me from buying one. Also a Fass or Airdog is something to definitely use.......I lost a set of injectors to some real bad fuel and have been with a lift pump/separator ever since.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The urea schit will keep me from ever buying a new diesel anything.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Urea is the least bothersome thing about a new diesel. Regens are the most bothersome thing

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Is the regen where the engine speeds up to clean the exhaust out? I know the Fords had the schit, didn't know they all did now. Sweet Jesus, phouc that.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Is the regen where the engine speeds up to clean the exhaust out? I know the Fords had the schit, didn't know they all did now. Sweet Jesus, phouc that.

My 2014 Ram has done it a few times that I'm aware of. Only symptom is a strong smell at idle and increased fuel consumption. It may have done it going down the road but Ive not been aware of it. No change in driving behavior at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Regen is where raw diesel is injected into the DPF to burn off the soot. From what I have read, early versions injected diesel into the exhaust stroke, but that caused trouble with cylinder wall washing. The newer Duramax has a 9th injector to inject diesel directly into the filter (don't know but I think the others are the same now). The idle is sped up at a stop to assist in keeping the DPF temps high. You won't notice a regen on the open road. You can notice one in town due to the higher idle. The big pisser is it uses more fuel and hurt mileage. It is a pisser but it's the EPA price you have to pay to get 400hp/800 torque from the factory.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Must be a GM thing. No elevated idle on the Cummins, just the strong odor.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do you need a pickup, or could you get by with a Suburban/SUV and a trailer for when you need an open box? A Suburban, Expedition or Navigator would be much more comfortable for the family.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I'm a GM tech for a living. There is not a new diesel I would own. If its not needed for work there is no reason own a diesel. Maintenance and repair costs are too high. And they are less reliable than the gassers. You wont beat the newer GM trucks for reliability.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm sure gas will go back up again soon, but here, gas is $2.46 and diesel is $3.59. That's 46% higher!!

No way you're gonna get that diesel power out of a gasser, but there's no way you're going to get 46% better mileage out of the diesel (not current ones), either.

The honest truth is that you might get 14-15mpg hwy from a gasser, and you might get 17-18mpg out of a diesel.

Fifteen years ago, you'd do good to get 150k miles out of a gas engine. There's plenty that'll do 200-250k these days. Yes, a diesel CAN do more, but not without dropping a few thousand on injectors/lift pumps/etc.

I don't think longevity of a diesel is as much of a selling point, anymore (at least, not like it used to be), vs. the gas. I don't think mileage is, either (not unless the prices of gas and diesel equalize). Resale?? You get more from the diesel, but you pay more, too, so I'd say that could be debated.

I'd say the real determinant is whether or not you're towing 10,000 lbs or more (and doing it frequently). Once you get above that, the power differences are much more obvious. You'll be revving the heck out of the gasser, while that diesel just chugs along.

Stripper Ford gasser 4x4 crew cabs can be found here for $32-$33k. The stripper diesels start at $44k. Not for sure about the Dodge's, but I bet the price difference is similar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.