Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My sons (7 and 4) are really, really wanting a dog. We've had dogs in the past, but have been without one for about 2 years now since the last one passed. Mom is relenting and I have negotiated for us to get a breed that hunts and we've narrowed it down to a couple of versatile dog breeds. Our preference is for a puppy and we'll probably wait until spring to get one.

What I'm curious about is if any one has an suggestions as to books/DVDs etc for training versatile dogs. Eventually I'd like to hunt both upland and waterfowl with the dog and may even consider doing some blood trailing. I've searched and found a few books, but just curious if anyone has any specific suggestions. Thanks in advance.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only book I have ever purchase on training was richard wolters titled Gun Dog. It is primarily for point and retrieve. But the insight of the early developmental puppy stage of training and discipline can benefit any breed of dog I think.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pointer
What I'm curious about is if any one has an suggestions as to books/DVDs etc for training versatile dogs. Eventually I'd like to hunt both upland and waterfowl with the dog and may even consider doing some blood trailing. I've searched and found a few books, but just curious if anyone has any specific suggestions. Thanks in advance.

These books/manuals will provide you with an excellent understanding of how to train a versatile hunting dog:

HOW TO HELP GUN DOGS TRAIN THEMSELVES, TAKING ADVANTAGE OF EARLY CONDITIONED LEARNING by Joan Bailey (Swan Valley Press)
http://www.swanvalleypress.com/

ARMBRUSTER TRAINING MANUAL by Leonard Armbruster. Available to members of Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar/Group North America. Mr. Armbruster was a German ex-patriot who wrote this manual for the fledgling Group North America. It was/is the mainstay of many novice Drahthaar handlers, and it is an excellent reference for developing your versatile pup through its first year and the breed tests. http://www.vdd-gna.org/documents-forms/

DRAHTHAAR PUPPY MANUAL - Fourth Edition, by Altmoor owners Roger Smith and Nancy Bohs. http://altmoor.com/Drahthaar/index.html

THE TRAINING AND CARE OF THE VERSATILE HUNTING DOG by Edward Bailey and Sigbot Winterheld, North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) http://navhdastore.org/thetrainingandcareoftheversatilehuntingdog.aspx

Last edited by MT_DD_FAN; 11/21/14. Reason: fixed grammar

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info! I see about getting all of those headed this way!

MT- The DD is on my short list! My wife's preference, based upon looks & reading alone, is for a pudelpointer, but I'm leaning DD. I'm thinking either way would be sufficient if the pup comes from good stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google "NAVHDA", the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association. The training book available from them covers training of versatile breeds to include trailing. Plus, the name Sigbot Winterheld sounds cool!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NAVHDA is great.

Google them up, find a local chapter, go to a spring test, and watch some dogs run. You can see some different breeds, find out about breeders and lines, and make some good contacts for training.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You question on which training program depends to some degree in what dog breed you decide on. If you are gong to include "waterfowl" hunting you may decide on a Lab which also can double as a great upland dog. The labs I have had much preferred upland hunting to duck blind hunting.

What ever dog breed you decide on... RESEARCH the dogs pedigree, buy a dog that is trainable. All my dogs cam from field trial or American Kennel Club AKC hunt test bloodlines.

Just make sure what ever breed you decide on you get more dog than your paying for judged by the pedigree. It'd much harder to train stupid.

Doc

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
The only book I have ever purchase on training was richard wolters titled Gun Dog. It is primarily for point and retrieve. But the insight of the early developmental puppy stage of training and discipline can benefit any breed of dog I think.

The book that helped me the most quite a few years ago was "Water Dog" by Wolters (same author). Easy to read, easy to understand with lots of pictures. He also had a book out called Family Dog and Im sure thats good too. Just depends on what your looking for.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

The book that helped me the most quite a few years ago was "Water Dog" by Wolters (same author). Easy to read, easy to understand with lots of pictures. He also had a book out called Family Dog and Im sure thats good too. Just depends on what your looking for.

Richard Wolters never trained a dog, he was a good writer and wrote on Training methods used on his own dogs. Jack Jagoda trained Richard's Labs. Jack told me himself with Richard standing right next to me at a dog event we all attended. Sorry it's true.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 12/01/14.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If Lab's are your choice look up "Total Retrieve Training" by Mike Lardy. You have to train the trainer before you can train the dog.

I was a struggling trainer and attended two of Mike Seminar's and adopted his program. Even if you only want a hunting dog
his program will get you a finished dog you hunting partners will want to hunt with and be blind with you and...your Dog.

Doc

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore

Richard Wolters never trained a dog, he was a good writer and wrote on Training methods used on his own dogs. Jack Jagoda trained Richard's Labs. Jack told me himself with Richard standing right next to me at a dog event we all attended. Sorry it's true.

Doc

I'd like to hear more about that. If this is true, it breaks my heart.

Water Dog is THE BEST training guide out there

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Doesnt much matter, if what he wrote was how the trainer trained, it matters only the method, not who used/uses em... IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the additional info and suggestions! Right after Christmas I plan on calling a few kennels and seeing what they are planning for litters in '15.

Mooner- I think I may do that! There's a NAVDHA chapter not too far from me.

Doc- The wife has ruled out labs due mostly to shedding.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Doc

I'd like to hear more about that. If this is true, it breaks my heart.

Water Dog is THE BEST training guide out there

After reading about this, I did some research. It seems it may be true.

When I say Water Dog is the best out there, it means from my limited experience.

I have trained 4 dogs from start to finish with the methods in Water Dog. I couldn't be happier. Could they have been Field Champions using Wolter's methods? I think they would have been competitive if I took the massive amount of time necessary to complete the jouney.

I do know that my hunting buddies are blown away when I can sit my dog on a whistle at 200 yards and handle her into a retrieve.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the additional info and suggestions! Right after Christmas I plan on calling a few kennels and seeing what they are planning for litters in '15.

Pointer,

I understand the shedding issue, yet all dogs will do more than that inside your house and your truck...just sayin.

I bought a 4 hole custom built stainless dog trailer to hold all the training gear, guns, ammo etc. Best dog gear I ever bought.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used Wolters methods. My not be the best but they worked on my setters. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Pointer,

I understand the shedding issue, yet all dogs will do more than that inside your house and your truck...just sayin.

I bought a 4 hole custom built stainless dog trailer to hold all the training gear, guns, ammo etc. Best dog gear I ever bought.

Doc
I totally get what your saying and agree. She just has a problem with the hair. Since we are getting a pup, I'm sure it'll chew up more stuff to cost us more money than any amount of hair would. That said, gotta keep momma happy or I'll end up with a designer breed that doesn't do anything but eat and poop...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep the dog in a crate when not supervised.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Doesnt much matter, if what he wrote was how the trainer trained, it matters only the method, not who used/uses em... IMHO.

That's the bottom line.
The suggestions in the section on how to choose the specific temperament of pup from a litter was spot on from my own experiences. Even at that young of an age, their personality traits have been pretty well established.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Pointer,

Doc
I totally get what your saying and agree. She just has a problem with the hair. Since we are getting a pup, I'm sure it'll chew up more stuff to cost us more money than any amount of hair would. That said, gotta keep momma happy or I'll end up with a designer breed that doesn't do anything but eat and poop...

Pointer,

Get the dog breed you want your wife will love it anyway regardless of the house "clean up's that will have to be done over time.

The best solution is to take you wife to pick out a pup and let her choose the dog. Your wife's maternal instinct will come out and she will choose the right dog for you both... that she can "puppy love".

This works every time. wink grin

Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,049 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.