24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I plan on relocating within the next 5 years to WY, ID, MT from Alaska which I have lived since 02 . Hunting , Fishing , Economy , and small town charm , and scenery are the most important to me . My background is retired military so I will need to offset my income with another job. Background of education is oilfield , and safety related . Just was hoping for insight on which state would be recommended .

Thanks for input in advance

Tim

BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Northeast Wyoming, or far southeast Montana, would get you close/in oil country to find a job.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has no oilfields at all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ND

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Laramie Wyoming. College town, some economy, pleasant. Close to good hunting and of course the college girls for scenery..

Golden............
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tim, you might look for jobs at INNL in eastern Idaho. Also, I know it's not on your list, but I wouldn't exclude TX. There's lots of oilfield and chemical plants where you could put your education to work.

I'm about 45 miles from Boise so if there's something I can help you with, please feel free to PM me. BTW, I was stationed at Eielson from 84-97. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm going through the same thought process. WY and SD have no state income tax and do not tax military retired pay, MT and ID do. Think about which states have military bases too if you want to have access to those. I'm leaning toward Cody, WY or the Black Hills of SD myself... I was at Wainwright 97-01.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the input nice to see some members that are from my neck of the woods I been here at Wainwright Fairbanks area since 2002 Bob & Redleg I don't think you would recognize parts of the town now Johansen Expressway is all box stores Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Sportsman Warehouse none of that was here when I first got stationed here . I was lucky enough to spend half of my enlisted career here in Fairbanks I established some roots built equity in a home and have enjoyed the great state of Alaska for years and been on some amazing hunts. It will be a hard to day to leave Alaska but heating a home is expensive, and not the best place to grow old (long hard winters).

Redleg Im a 13B I was in the old 4/11 FA for years got there in 02 so I bet we know a lot of the same people. I have a retired military friend that just bought a nice home with 20 acres 20 miles outside of Great Falls, MT over 4000 sf home with a pole barn around $350k that seems like a good buy to me. I been looking in the Pinedale, WY area seems like the housing market is higher than Alaska which I didn't think would be the case is housing high across the board in the states mentioned? Seems like I have heard Idaho has good prices on homes but I think the hunting might be better in WY.Not taxing military retirement is a huge benefit does any of these other states have good benefits from the VA?

AK Bob what does the INNL do?

Tim

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Tim, you might look for jobs at INNL in eastern Idaho. Also, I know it's not on your list, but I wouldn't exclude TX. There's lots of oilfield and chemical plants where you could put your education to work.

I'm about 45 miles from Boise so if there's something I can help you with, please feel free to PM me. BTW, I was stationed at Eielson from 84-97. smile
Here's a link for the INL if you want to learn more: INL Also, a lot of the Vets around here will make trips down to Hill AFB when they want to hit a base. Hill AFB is only about 2-3 hours from east Idaho depending on where you live.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hunthard
Thanks for all the input nice to see some members that are from my neck of the woods I been here at Wainwright Fairbanks area since 2002 Bob & Redleg I don't think you would recognize parts of the town now Johansen Expressway is all box stores Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Sportsman Warehouse none of that was here when I first got stationed here . I was lucky enough to spend half of my enlisted career here in Fairbanks I established some roots built equity in a home and have enjoyed the great state of Alaska for years and been on some amazing hunts. It will be a hard to day to leave Alaska but heating a home is expensive, and not the best place to grow old (long hard winters).

Redleg Im a 13B I was in the old 4/11 FA for years got there in 02 so I bet we know a lot of the same people. I have a retired military friend that just bought a nice home with 20 acres 20 miles outside of Great Falls, MT over 4000 sf home with a pole barn around $350k that seems like a good buy to me. I been looking in the Pinedale, WY area seems like the housing market is higher than Alaska which I didn't think would be the case is housing high across the board in the states mentioned? Seems like I have heard Idaho has good prices on homes but I think the hunting might be better in WY.Not taxing military retirement is a huge benefit does any of these other states have good benefits from the VA?

AK Bob what does the INNL do?

Tim
Pinedale is expensive as the billionares have ran the millionares out of Jackson Hole. The millionares are creeping down Hoback Canyon helping drive prices up along with the natural gas boom. That said, it's a great area IMO!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tim,

I am a First Sgt down south of you on Kulis Air National Guard. I have 23 years in right now and plan to retire w/ 32 yrs. One thing that I have been doing is looking at states and their tax laws.

As nice as it is to have "scenery" it is of equal or more importance, at least to me, to see what that state is going to take...especially my military retirement!

If you google "best states for military to retire" it will be a good start. Also USAA has a list of the top 10 places.

Also, besides the taxes, dont forget you MAY want to be near a commissary, military base of some sort, and the VA.

Good luck w/ your search and your decision.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anyplace with an oil and gas economy is going to be expensive. That's just something you gotta accept.

If you do choose to go to Pinedale, please say hi to Mr. Root!

No bases anywhere near Pinedale either. Closest is either Salt Lake or Cheyenne. I was an 0311, the Marine equivalent to a 13F. Miss those days.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

Thank you for you service I have considered the same points being close to a base means being close to lots of people Im use to living in Alaska so Im really wanting to live in a small community.

Thanks Tim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice to see some guys from the "ON TIME" outfit on the forum. At least in the case of Redleg172, I'm sure we probably peed in the same snowdrifts.

I'm not sure what your oilfield experience is, but I'd take a look around the Sydney, MT area. Housing will be expensive in any of the "boom" areas, but you would be within driving distance (at least by western standards) of Minot AFB for the occasional commissary / Cl VI runs.

A close friend does logging on exploratory drills in the area and has pretty good connections with several companies. He's currently out of country, but if you'd like me to put you in touch with him, shoot me a PM.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mesabi,

Was you in 4/11? Thanks for the info lots to consider but like to get inside info.

Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in the Opaheys a few years before you; from 99-01.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Just cause nobody's mentioned N. Idaho, I'd not encourage you to come here unless you're fully retired or employed ahead of arrival.

There is a V.A. in Spokane,Wa. with the base to the west, but taxes are not friendly and jobs are not plentiful.

I just built a house on 5 acres, and have tied up $325k.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tim, when you decide to look around, drop me an email. Great lower 48 states exist, but as you seem to know, they are west of the Mississippi.

Our 21 mile gravel road sucks, but nestled between the pavement is God's country and plenty of wildlife, if not nightlife.

We built a home/shop on 30 acres (out of pocket, thanks to our years in AK) right at $280k, and that was in '06 when stuff was really spendy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 72 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.