Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Or box blinds, or whatever they call them in your parts.

Who uses them? Or how about, what % of deer hunting do you do in various blinds, stands, etc.?

I hunt 65% out of tree stands, 30% handmade ground blind sitting on a stool, and (at most) 5% out of a box blind.

If I'm not in a tree, I take my portable little Ameristep chair and sit behind a log, or a brush pile, etc. Have taken many deer this way.

I have not sat in a box blind one time this year. And probably won't. When I go north, everybody in camp sits in a box blind with a bait pile. I use no blind, no bait, and shoot more deer than the rest combined. Always. For 20 yrs running.Not bragging when it's true, right? shocked

It seems we have skipped fall here and jumped straight into winter. Snow and wind all week. If ever I were to sit in a blind with actual walls around me, I'd think I would have done it by now. Maybe I am too stupid to come in from the cold grin

Anyway, love to hear your thoughts on how you deer hunt. Maybe even a pic of a blind or 2. In a couple hours I will go meet my bud down by the river, and we will hunt with "no walls" yet again with temps in the teens........

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
With active snowing, -12 temps and a 25 mph wind this year, yes, I did hunt from a box blind most of the time this year.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, we had some of that same weather as well. Which is actually what brought about this post.....grin.

It is the high wind that really sucks..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use them a lot, especially when hunting with my kids. Have 11 set up this year and all but one are large enough for two people. I rarely hunt a treestand but can see the merit in being mobile with a climber or even just a cushioned seat when it is pre-rut and buck sign is being hunted.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
With kids I'd say it is a good idea.

My heavy white snow camo is lying in the back of my Jeep right now probably still soaking wet. Luckily it is waterproof........

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We don't have one...yet! I deer hunt almost always out of a tree here in IN and have a 2 man ladder blind for hunting with the kiddos. But, I've got a couple of places in mind to build a box blind as I think they'd be much nicer for when the weather isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Normally sit trees, like this:

[Linked Image]

However, will use a ground blind when it's like this:

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never used a box blind or shelter of any kind. Always hunted on foot, sat on rocks or climbed trees. I have hunted from barn lofts in terrible weather.

As I get older and the weather gets colder (been some very frigid temps early this year), a nice box blind sounds more attractive.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Old barns work great.

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im with you 2muchgun, I sit in trees 99% of the time but sure wish I had a shack when its really cold or raining. Im getting too old to hunt trees....

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Agreed. I'm not getting any younger, but am still plenty stubborn grin

Snuck up on this guy tonight on way to tree....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a blind built on a trailer. Makes it much easer to move around. I have two little girls which get to hunt much more being out of the the cold wind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Agreed. I'm not getting any younger, but am still plenty stubborn grin

Snuck up on this guy tonight on way to tree....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sneeky bastard...................... smile Nice buck!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]
My most recent "hunting shack" from this year's Colorado deer hunt. Not really a shack
but it was such a beautiful and dramatic camp site that I enjoy sharing it.

[Linked Image]
I built this shack for hunting elk in Colorado three years ago. This one might actually qualify as a shack.

[Linked Image]
I built this for my first Colorado Elk hunt in 1978.

These were all built on public land so I had to remove them eventually. You can't tell that I was ever there.

I've built a few ground blinds by piling up dead aspen poles but never used tree stand.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We hunt blinds because its how its done where we hunt. Everyone hunts one area only... no walking and such.

I"d love to though. I do if no one else is around.

Even though I have a big blind thats really easy to sit... since they won't let my wife sit with me anymore, I often go sit here and there in a bush.

Even when she could, we'd often see some activity on a particular trail in our area, and go set up and ambush... we've lain on the ground wiht netting over us, and a log in front as a doe stepped over the barrel of my 1892 32-20...

I can and will do it any way. But I don't do tree stands anymore. No need for them in our area. Have done them plenty when I could still draw a bow thoguh.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a box blind on my property. Its 10 feet off the ground with a good view. I spend a lot of time in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's traditional around here to use box blinds watching feeders, and indeed the tactic makes it fairly easy to get youngn's. But older smarter deer learn to pattern hunters and avoid them. I've got one old guy on the trail cam who I have only seen once in the flesh, and he bailed out before I could get a shot. He shows up feeding at odd hours, or at night. He is going to be a challenge. smile

Last year on our lease the biggest deer was taken out of a ground blind, that the owner carefully hid overlooking a water trough.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beer drinkin', fishing, relaxing shack up by the pond.

Makes for a decent blind over the lower field.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice buck Ken, When i did build a box blind on my dads land it was open on 4 sides, dont like to be closed in, i cant hunt the trees anymore, cuz of my bad leg. I do use a tent blind some times now, but have one of them umbrellas you screw into the trees, there flat on one side and work as a good cover blind, when open in front of you as you sit on a stool, works pretty slick! dont weigh much folds up! there cammo but in the snow I have a white cammo sheet i thro over it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Beer drinkin', fishing, relaxing shack up by the pond.

Makes for a decent blind over the lower field.

[Linked Image]

Gotta love it, providin' it works. That thing's awesome...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.