-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hollering at bears is wasted effort IMO&E. Perhaps wounded ones are more responsive, but I doubt it.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Pucker Factor!

It broke my Pucker Factor meter !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took a lot of restraint not to shoot sooner........I would not have waited that long & would have been using a 458.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Hollering at bears is wasted effort IMO&E. Perhaps wounded ones are more responsive, but I doubt it.

I bet I'd win and I'd bet wounded are LESS responsive. LOL.

More I think about this, I"d like to know more about the hunter etc..... a bowhunter waiting out a 10 foot plus bear, I"d be willing to bet I'd take ANY legal brown with a bow. In the right situation.

Waiting a big one out, you either have lots of time and money on your hands and spend many seasons working on it, or you will be pushing the envelope.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here's a few observations from my point of view;

1. The first shot was a miss, if it had been a hit the bear would have reacted the same way it did to the second shot. I my experience bears ALWAYS react to a hit.
It would not continue beach combing.

2. The second bear reacted to the first bears body language when it was hit with the arrow and skedaddled.

3. The bear very obviously hit their scent cone when it turned and came at them.

4. The camera man had to stand more erect in order to see the bear over the hunters shoulders which made him more visible to the bear once it turned on the scent cone. The bear was zeroed in on him during the charge.

5. The guide made every effort to let the bear walk away and die from the bow shot although I'm pretty sure it would have taken quite awhile for it to die unless he got lucky and got the liver.

6. The guide saved the camera man from a potentially fatal mauling with a very good shot, only a brain or spine shot would have stopped that charge that quickly.

Of course I wasn't there but these things seem obvious to me, and anybody that would critique these guys actions hasn't been in many real life hunting situations before because things don't often go perfectly as planned.

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The camera showing the charge was a GoPro mounted on the bottom side of the forearm of the guide's rifle. The bear looked to be focused on the guide at that point.

I am not convinced the bow shot was bad... the angle looked to me like it was an attempt at slipping one behind the ribs and angled forward but did not penetrate as much as it could have.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The camera showing the charge was a GoPro mounted on the bottom side of the forearm of the guide's rifle. The bear looked to be focused on the guide at that point.

I am not convinced the bow shot was bad... the angle looked to me like it was an attempt at slipping one behind the ribs and angled forward but did not penetrate as much as it could have.
Similar to my take. I'd be easily convinced that the second arrow hit bone in the off leg/shoulder, failed to penetrate said bone and rebounded towards to the entry. Not being there makes it more difficult to assess, but I gotta believe that from the guide's angle he was satisfied with the shot and that it was a dead bear walking. I see that from the fact he clearly felt no need to shoot until that was the only option suspecting the arrow to sort the bear rather quickly.

For my part, it made an interesting video, and I can easily see how it could've gone south. Otherwise its a testimony to an experienced, prepared, and cool headed guide. Pretty obvious that the guide had been around more than a couple of bears (and bear hunters). Makes me look forward to May.....

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I have to disagree, Mark. For a bear in doubt, or uncertain, I have found screeching at them to be more effective than a gunshot into the dirt . Of course, this is based on an experience of one each. In the case of the gunshot, the bear then responded favorably to voluminously cussing, as well.

So that goes 2 for 0 in my experience, but you have probably had more close encounters of the turd kind than I.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't doubt that a bear of that size would probably have reacted by disappearing had it been unwounded. But based on my experience with the bears we have out on the west side - largely unhabituated to people-animals, hollering as well as gunfire for the sake of noise is not very reliable as a method of warding off bears. That's not to say I blame the guide but I have had exactly zero results in trying to sound large and mean when bears have approached or been roused nearby. IOW, I wouldn't attempt a warning shot either. I did spray a bear's legs one time with rock particles when he approached way too close and didn't appear to be done 'examining' us. (That was after we - there were two of us- both tried to make as much noise as we possibly could vocally.) I already knew that rocks or water near a bear were the best hope for bullet placement short of poking the animal, and I figured I probably had only one opportunity if I tried to poke him in the very dim light- he was too close to get two shots, very likely, so I decided to gamble on the 'spray and pray' method. (Bears have consistently shown an aversion to having 300 grain slugs- regardless of their source- splattered against rocks or boulders in their immediate vicinity. laugh )

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Bears are individuals, are as encounters. And different localities may mean different re-actons as a mean.

A wounded bear I expect is all predictions on off. Do't have any experience on that level with griz/brown.

As for the blacks, the only one that gave me hesitation- I ate him.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
The thing many may not realize is how far away really close stuff looks on a GoPro... That bear was CLOSE!!!

Absent other forces, air is going to move toward the warmer surface because it will get lighter and rise creating a relative vacuum behind it.
Close is an understatement! WOW.

I did notice that it would've been pretty hard to shoot that bear under the chin... wink

You only have issues visualizing an under-chin shot because you aren't a SMURF!
LOL! I still remember that tidbit being pointed out to Dewey. Good times.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
yikes, that was close! Thanks for sharing the video, and CONGRATS on an awesome brute!

dave

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
After watching this several more times and stop/starting it at the first shot, it looks pretty clear to me that the first arrow went right through the bears stomach. You can clearly see the bear hump up as the arrow hits it. Why it didn't go apeshit is beyond me. You can only catch it when you slow it down. That would make sense looking at the hole in its gut (exit side) when it is laying there. The second shot looks like it might have hit something hard as others have suggested and was broken off. You can see the lumenok fall away as the shaft is snapped. Anybody see this?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After watching this several more times and stop/starting it at the first shot, it looks pretty clear to me that the first arrow went right through the bears stomach. You can clearly see the bear hump up as the arrow hits it. Why it didn't go apeshit is beyond me. �.. Anybody see this?

I kind of wondered about that as well. Actually, a surgical hole in the stomach might actually have been why there was no more reaction than what he shows; (maybe just thunk it was a touch of indigestion commonly associated with eating botulinum laden beachus corpii. wink )

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I saw the hump typical of a deer gut shot with an arrow.

That even looks worse though on the dead bear.. looks more like intestines to me but could be stomach, typically stomach does not come out of a wound that small though.

Regardless the first shot was still not good. For whatever reason but I"m enough convinced that the 2nd shot was not bad.

Wind was teh end culprit. If you don't watch it, in this case it could literally bite you.

I did not pay enough attention to appx time of day vs an expected wind shift.

RE reaction to a gut hit. Typically there isn't much reaction to arrows actually from what I"ve seen with over 100 bow kills over the years. They sometimes only flinch the skin and keep on doing whatever until they fall over or all of a sudden get weak from blood loss and make a short wobbly dash... sometimes its full on get out of dodge.

Gut hits typically evidently don't fell that well as most animals go less than 100 yards and bed down. But they must not scream in pain either and there is generally no mad dash.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wow, you guys sure like to analyze this!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

It's November. My hunting is over for the year, trout fishing is hanging on by a thread, permits are in for next year, I have nothing left. Don't judge me. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ummm�bears are all snoozing soundly at this point�..well, mostly. Moose season is 2 months past��not enough snow yet for caribou��not inclined toward "Price is Right"�.. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its fun to me, to try to see what happened... lucked that we were videoing once... I shot a doe... and entry looked heartish... as I was aiming.

Blood said liver. WTF?

Video upon final getting it to frame by frame in the camphouse..... showed her kicking as arrow hit... deflecting it out the liver sure enough....

Had we not seen video before we trailed... it would have been confusing.

Had video been shot from other side.... some would say I'd have gut shot her.. I'd have known in my mind what I saw on my side....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

It's November. My hunting is over for the year, trout fishing is hanging on by a thread, permits are in for next year, I have nothing left. Don't judge me. grin

Our general season elk hunts start this coming Friday, We still have 2 rifle deer seasons left. Archery deer starts middle of December- still plenty to do here. Come on down!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

Our general season elk hunts start this coming Friday, We still have 2 rifle deer seasons left. Archery deer starts middle of December- still plenty to do here. Come on down!

Hmm, I wonder how my wife would like it if I put some cash and CC on the table and told her I would be home for Christmas?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.