Print Thread
Hop To
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I've been rereading old RIFLE mags and came across an article by JB("A Brand New Scope"maybe?). He tested a Master Series Pro Hunter and was impressed enough that he said he would be buying one. I went and bought two. A 2-7x32 and a 6x40. Maybe about a yr later the bottom of quality control dropped out. I'm just wondering if any other manufacturers are using that unique erector system. By the way that 2-7x32 has been on my SIL's 45-70 GG for many yrs and is doing fine. The 6x40 is back on my lt wt .300 where it always performed well.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect Simmons patented the system.

Have seen the same change in quality between early models of various optics and later versions many times. One was a Porro prism binocular Tasco introduced maybe 15 years ago. They had a prototype on a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming, and I was VERY impressed, so asked for a test sample when the production run started. It sucked.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
It's a shame to let such good designs go to waste. I couldn't post your article but did find this:

http://www.ampro.co.nz/products/simmons/Simmons_riflescope_selection.pdf

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a friend who used to swear by their older "44 Mag" scopes. After a couple of less than impressive newer ones he switched the newer ones out for Weaver Grand Slam and Super Slam scopes.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Isn't this a resurrection of something that Simmons came out with several years ago?

I have a NIB Master Series 3x9 that I've never mounted.

At the time these originally came out, my sense was that Simmons would suffer from its reputation for low end scopes, no matter how good the new ones might be.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39

At the time these originally came out, my sense was that Simmons would suffer from its reputation for low end scopes, no matter how good the new ones might be.

Tis true.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have one of those 6x40 models. It was mistakenly shipped to me by Optics';/.

I ended mounting it and I still use it.

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E

My 6x40 started out on my lt wt .300 for 2 seasons. Went on .22Mag for 1 season. Went on my son's M70 .25-06. Recently put it back on my .300. NICE scope.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Same thing happened to their Aetec line. Whenever they shifted production from the Philippines to China, the QC went to chit!!! I have one of the original Aetec 2.8-10x44 scopes, and when they updated to the new "Master" series, I bought another. (falsely thinking it was better, with the new erector system). Went through about 4 of those on warranty and finally gave up. Still have the Philippine made Aetec on a 7mag that's seen over a thousand rounds with many a mile hunting together and never needed adjusting from original zero.

As far as II know, Simmons never made a Philippine "Master Series" Aetec, but guess it's possible they made others in that line before moving all production to China. For instance, the Whitetail Expedition.

Last edited by John_in_MS; 10/10/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swaro has/had a similar design, but they use(d) individual springs around the circumference of the tube that function similar to the 360 spring that Simmons released.

From what I recall, the Simmons True Zero system was developed when Simmons was owned by Meade. The story goes that Meade provided the design to Simmons. For some reason I remember WVZ writing about this.

I recently had a Simmons that was supposed to have the True Zero system, but when I looked into the objective with a flashlight shining inside I could see a big leaf spring!

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
the original 44 mags were really good scopes for the $$.

have one that sat on top of a 350 rem mag Model 7 custom shop for a number of years and is still good today.

new ones are c**p

Last edited by Jglenn; 10/20/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 of the Aetec scopes with the True Zero system. Bought them as soon as they came out. One had the Eye Piece come out and I was given a new scope under warrantee. 2.5-10x44 and a 4.5-14x44. Optically they have been great scopes. Hold zero and adjustment is 1/2" per click. Both scopes have Electrical tape on the Eye piece focus adjustment, to lock them in place. The Chinese factory used a soft Plastic Button as a stop in the eye piece adjustment. The scope could have been a winner, But the Meade/Simmons penny pinchers over rode the Designers on the quality control in manufacture. I got a bit of inside info years ago at hunt camp from engineering side people that designed the scope system. What was designed and planned was different than what was sold. Design a BMW construct a Yugo off the plan, type of corporate decisions Process.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,118
Posts18,464,562
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.