Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good afternoon all.

With some of the early backpacking and mountain hunting season behind us I didn't know if anyone had any paradox pack field report? I see the big thread about these packs but that was in early October and there are no recent reports.

Thanks,

PigGuy

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used one to pack out a mountain goat last year. Super lightweight and good bag layout. Not as comfy for me at least with heavier weights as some other packs I have used, but they cost more and weigh more. Its a good price point for a pack, especially if you are only hauling a few animals out of the backcountry annually, or do a lot of non-hunting backpacking.

That said if I got to do 10+ miles backpacking out 90 or more pounds I have better (slightly heavier and more expensive) packs that better suit the task for me. That said in its price range and weight range I don't think it has a peer! Likely one of the best bang for your bucks when looking at sub 4 pound hunting packs that can haul weight! Its a great option for sure and worth looking into.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I used one on Kodiak Island to pack out two deer and a couple of Afognak Island elk. One of those loads was a no kidding 160 pound plus load and the pack handled it well. I don't usually like to carry such heavy loads but the sun was setting and we had to get all the meat away from the carcass before dark.

I am trying to attach a photo of me and the other person who used a paradox pack on the hunt. She was the one who shot the biggest elk of the trip.

In the picture I only have a front quarter on the pack - not the BIG load

[Linked Image]

PATRICK

Last edited by pgsalton; 11/03/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Patrick those elk are HUGE!!!! Loved the video BTW! The quarters look nearly on par with a 50" moose. Sorry I didn't say hi in the Kodiak airport last month! You looked preoccupied, next time man!

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
AK Lanche, I was preoccupied because I was picking up the elk hunt crew! But i am sorry i missed you. And the elk on Afognak are huge. The big elk on this hunt had back quarters that weighed 90 pounds, but we once shot an elk that had 110 pound back quarters. But nothing that a Paradox pack can't handle!

I actually really like the waist belt on the paradox. I found it did not slip as much with a heavy load as some other packs I've used.

Patrick

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh well, would be great to sit down and hear some stories first hand. Looked like a great but brutal trip! You hunt with some troopers no doubt!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the replies to both of you. It looks like you have had a great season so far! The pack will be for a seven day backpack goat in British Columbia next fall, and it appears that I would make a good decision going with the Paradix.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used mine for a few moderate loads of elk meat, probably in the 60 lb range and I thought it was fine.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is the paradox pack material noisy?
It just looks noisy, maybe it isn't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is when it's new, and gets less noisy with use. Not what you'd want for silently sneaking through brush though.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Whoa! Packing meat in Xtratuffs; that's badass...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used my unaweep to pack out two mule deer this season and really like it. Good belt for skinny guys, I didn't have the hip bone bruising like I got from my long hunter and timberline. It's light and stout.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Granted I'm a bit biased, but I carried out 4 loads this season.

- A bear cape from a good boar , not super far, but off trail and rugged probably 75 lbs , and 1.5 hrs mostly off trail
- 2 elk loads (one mine and one Owens) , not super heavy 60 - 75 lbs probably each was 1.5 hrs , mostly on good trails
- 1 Mule Deer , a bit over 90 lbs scale weighed , mostly off trail, ravines / brush / some 3rd class scrambling , 4 hrs and 15 minutes, probably ~6 miles . Difficult pack out . Only stopped for 5 minutes due to a slight slip and fall and deciding that was a good break time.

Took the pack bag off , threw it in the washer looks like new. It worked well for me , but then again it should.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the insight.
PigGuy

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here's a little trip I did with my Paradox. It worked very well for me.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ack_Rafting_across_Admiralty#Post9097952

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had about 70lbs of elk meat on mine today, with a 10lb rifle strapped into the water bottle pocket.
We were 2 miles in and 1000 ft up.
This is by far the best pack I have owned. Comfortable and feather light going up,and very comfy loaded up for the hike out.
After today my hunting partner will be buying a Paradox. He struggled with a similar load and was in pain for the last mile or so.
I cannot emphasize enough how happy I am with this piece of kit, and I tell everyone that will listen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't give you a field report; but, I have to provide my initial impression. Have you ever picked up an empty box you thought was loaded with heavy stuff? Well, Ed T handed one to me to check out and when I grabbed it I about accidentally threw it over my head it was so light. I'm trying one next year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Love the quote....

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have used it thus so far. Did not get the large load of meat I was looking for in CO but the pack served me well.

[Linked Image]Untitled by hatchied, on Flickr
I broke down and started using around home to carry stand into a large public swamp where I am killing deer. Much more comfortable tote of the stand, if only I could figure out the drag

[Linked Image] by hatchied, on Flickr

[Linked Image]Untitled by hatchied, on Flickr
[Linked Image] by hatchied, on Flickr

The property is foot travel only and I am hunting spots folks generally don't want to go. The Paradox helps in the effort emensely

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.