Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm trying out some epoxy to bed a barrel and action right now and hope it isn't a disaster. I used PC-Woody epoxy to repair some large missing parts and gouges in hardwood furniture the other day, and it looked like a good bedding compound. I have a nice little 257 Roberts "glued" into a cast off stock I fixed up.

I also used Pam as a release agent for the first time. How well does Pam work? I've heard it does well, but I'm wondering whether I'll need to make some space in my chest freezer tomorrow morning. eek

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/21/14.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
which pam?

I've got to say, for whatever reason, I got crappy release from the butter flavor, not to mention an ass chewing.

But the high heat pam, and the olive oil pam were OK.

Still got ass chewings though.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not buttery flavored, just the regular original Pam. I noticed it has silicone as an ingredient. I think I'll use it for slippery stuff and not for cooking.

I washed my hands twice with dish detergent, and my flingerzz are still slipping off the keyboardsxz

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I hope everthing turns out well for you with this. Save the pam for the waffle maker and buy a can of Hornady One Shot. Shake the hell out of it and it will treat you well....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Used it a couple times and was not all that confident in using it ever again. Got the actions out, but they needed a little persuading! I'd get some one shot or paste wax (Johnson's) and go from there.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hornady stuff worked perfectly for me the couple times I used it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I dont get why some want to cut the cheapest coners they can , you have spent money on gun, stock and all and save a few , very few $ on such. For christ sake do it right !!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, from now on before I embark on ANY project I'll be sure to ask your permission. whistle

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by luv2safari
OK, from now on before I embark on ANY project I'll be sure to ask your permission. whistle
WOW your not just a smartass , but a cheap smartass , now GFY

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You sure rile up easy. I'd much rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass. grin

You need to relax. This was a fun thread until you popped off.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Many times fun lacks common scense , so go have fun on your bedding adventure .

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
Many times fun lacks common scense , so go have fun on your bedding adventure .

I plan to. I already made space in my freezer, made a new wooden mallet, and made a list of cuss words appropriate to the project. wink

I've used Kiwi neutral shoe polish for 40 years and Johnson's paste wax about as long. This is an experiment with an economical barreled action and a stock someone tossed out...not a bad stock, just cut down and perfect for my grandson.

Let's not fight over something this trivial. wink

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hell man I like experiments !! sorry to get off on wrong foot ; guess I miss took the OP

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll report the success in the morning...or, ask for suggestions as to getting the dmned thing apart. grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Didn't have good luck with Pam. Last stock I epoxy bedded I used Penguin Himalayan Wax spray on bees wax boot protector. Worked great, no mallet needed.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dunno, for a release agent I've always used... release agent. Just seemed to make sense somehow.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Dunno, for a release agent I've always used... release agent. Just seemed to make sense somehow.

Where's the adventure in using proven products? confused crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh man! I've got enough adventure in my life trying to fix things I don't know anything about. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let us know how it worked... info like this is great for in a pinch situations especially those of us that live rural.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Was gone hunting so am late to this discussion, but I've fully or partially bedded dozens of stocks using car wax as a release agent. In my experience it works better than many "official" release agents.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6MMWASP, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 11 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,196
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.