Print Thread
Hop To
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 308 Winchester. Took the rifle out yesterday and shot a few rounds through it and the accuracy was reasonable but nothing to write home about. I don't have a lot in the rifle itself, so I thought the short action 700 might be a great one to customize. I thought I'd start with a new stock and new trigger. So, having said that here are my questions:

If I pick up a stock such as the B&C Medalist with aluminum bedding block or an HS Precision with an aluminum bedding block, would these be a drop in fit or will gunsmithing be required?

I also like the look and feel of laminate. Anyone have experience with the Bobby Hart laminate from stocky stocks?

Finally, what trigger do you recommend for a hunting rifle to replace the factory Remington?

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11/02/14.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both the B&C and the HS Precision would be drop in if ordered correctly. But I think both have what you want usually in stock unless you want custom paint. I would skim bed either of those stocks if it were me. You can check out Stocky's Stocks website and see if they have what you want. Or I think Brownell's stocks those as does Midwayusa.

No shooting experience with laminate stocks. My only memory of the ones I had before I sold them was that they were heavy.

Trigger....Look no further than Timney. All are pretty good, but the Timney is simple and rugged.

Last edited by 257heaven; 11/02/14.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Redhawk rifles also keeps a lot of B&C and possibly H-S in stock and often have better prices than Stocky's. They have timney triggers too so you might get a one stop shop

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most all the hs and B&C c stocks I have used were drop in and usually don't need bedding unless you want to squeeze out a little more accuracy..never used a bobby heart....had pretty good luck with Boyd's also for the money..
Timney on the trigger.......

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I have had good luck with B&C stocks...but I skim bed them almost as a matter of course....dont want to have to back up a few steps..

Trigger: I use old style Remington Triggers. Timneys are good too....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use the Bell & Carlson you mentioned, M4 Medalist with aluminum chassis for a varmint rifle. It's a swap barrel rifle using Pac-Nor barrels chambered for 22-250, 22-250 Ackley and .308 Winchester. A .204 Ruger or .223 Remington conversion is next up - yes I'll need a custom PT&G bolt.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-553/bell-carlson-medalist-tactical/Detail

The action was purchased separately from Brownell's. Greg Tannel installed a .250" thick precision double pinned recoil lug made for stocks with aluminum chassis so the inlet didn't have to be modified.

The chassis was skimmed bedded for a perfect fit.

I only use Jewel Triggers on the 700's, and Timney triggers on others along with some JARD triggers.

Here's the 700 in .308 Winchester kit:

[Linked Image]

That stock accepts all the barrels, they are swapped in and the barreled action screwed down into the stock. I can use the detachable magazine bottom metal as shown, or swap in the OEM Remington internal box magazine, follower and hinged floorplate. It does shoot as well with any of the barrels or cartridges. The group below is ten shots at 100 yards with an early developmental load, 8 shots through the upper cluster and two blow-its by old lead finger.

[Linked Image]

Good luck with that new stock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am curious regarding the recommendation for Timney triggers. I've owned quite a few 700's and they're older ones. The only trigger I've had an issue with in the past is an old 700 '06 with a Timney trigger. Pull the trigger hard with the safety on and let off the safety and the rifle fires if loaded. I like the old Remington triggers and have had no experience with the newer ones so perhaps that's the reason for the need to change out the trigger. I've used Timney triggers on Mausers without a hitch. But I thought that Jewel made a much better trigger than Timney (expensive??). I've heard that Timney trigger housings were soft -- is that correct? Hey, I'm trying to learn here, no slam intended.

Last edited by Bugger; 11/20/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
I am curious regarding the recommendation for Timney triggers. I've owned quite a few 700's and they're older ones. The only trigger I've had an issue with in the past is an old 700 '06 with a Timney trigger. Pull the trigger hard with the safety on and let off the safety and the rifle fires if loaded. I like the old Remington triggers and have had no experience with the newer ones so perhaps that's the reason for the need to change out the trigger. I've used Timney triggers on Mausers without a hitch. But I thought that Jewel made a much better trigger than Timney (expensive??). I've heard that Timney trigger housings were soft -- is that correct? Hey, I'm trying to learn here, no slam intended.

I have 5 or 6 Timneys and really like them. I also am a fan of the older Walker Remington triggers. They also have a bad reputation of firing by themselves as well. Never had a problem with any of them, but I don't try to adjust them down to nothing. And the housing on a Timney is made out of aluminum. I guess it's softer than steel. You probably need to try a new Timney.

I have several Jewells as well and love them. Those CAN be adjusted down to nothing safely. But they're costly.

The one Shilen I have I'm not too enamored with. But that's probably just me.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am also having the same problem with an adl in .308. I had the factory stock bedded and floated however I'm still not getting the best groups. Would an aftermarket stock or barrel help me out?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I am also having the same problem with an adl in .308. I had the factory stock bedded and floated however I'm still not getting the best groups. Would an aftermarket stock or barrel help me out?

Proven scope?

Good crown?

Bolt lugs both making good contact?

What ammo have you tried?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have tried core loct and federal blue box as well as multiple reloads. i cant say for sure how good the crown and bolt lug contact is.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can visually inspect the lugs for signs of wearing in. Nothing fancy.

Give the crown a look with a magnifier. You don't want burrs, uneven wear, and so on.

You might try a box of Federal match ammo. It's a very good reference.

Last edited by mathman; 11/22/14.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I got a B&C with the aluminum block for my Rem 700 Whelen and it dropped in. I haven't bedded it yet and may not need to. A friend has one too and his shoots fine without bedding. They seem to be a much nicer stock than they used to be and for 1/2 the cost of a McStock.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently had a friend order the Hart laminated stock with the alumunim bedding block for a Remington 700. I was impressed! Looked very nice and fit well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.