-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Federal Judge Says California Attorney General Kamala Harris Wrong on Gun Control Laws

Court denies Harris� arguments and agrees with gun rights group The Calguns Foundation, says state�s firearm waiting period laws likely fail to meet Constitutional muster

ROSEVILLE, CA � In a rejection of California Attorney General Kamala Harris� stance on the rights of law-abiding gun owners, Senior Federal District Court Judge Anthony W. Ishii denied Harris� motion for summary judgement today in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed by The Calguns Foundation, indicating that California�s 10-day �waiting period� gun laws are likely unconstitutional.

�The fact that a federal judge saw these laws for what they are � baseless restraints on the exercise of a fundamental civil right � is monumental,� explained Gene Hoffman, Chairman of The Calguns Foundation. �California�s waiting period laws for those who own guns is not Constitutional and this order really underlines the point.�

In his order, Judge Ishii said that Harris has �not presented sufficient evidence to show that the [10-day waiting period laws] passes either intermediate or strict scrutiny.�

About the laws being challenged in the case, named plaintiff Jeff Silvester of Hanford, California, said, �I have a license to carry a loaded firearm across the State.It is ridiculous that I have to wait another 10 days to pick up a new firearm when I�m standing there in the gun store lawfully carrying one the whole time.�

�This is certainly an exciting development in Second Amendment case law,� noted Brandon Combs, an individual plaintiff in the case and the Executive Director of The Calguns Foundation. �If our Constitution means what it says, then California�s gun waiting period laws have to be overturned and law-abiding people must be allowed to exercise their rights without irrational infringements.�

Regardless of the final decision at the district court, the case is virtually certain to end up at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and possibly even the United States Supreme Court.

�Cases like this one will define the limits of government regulations on firearms and Second Amendment rights,� said Combs. �We look forward to making sure laws like California�s waiting period are properly scrutinized by the courts.�

Judge Ishii was appointed to the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of California by President Bill Clinton in 1997.

A full copy of the Court�s December 9, 2013, order may be viewed at http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/?p=1683.

The press release announcing the lawsuit and case docket may be viewed at http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/?p=1024.

The Calguns Foundation (CGF) (www.calgunsfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that serves its members, supporters, and the public through educational, cultural, and judicial efforts to defend and advance Second Amendment and related civil rights. Supporters may visit http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/donate to join or donate to CGF.

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/20...al-kamala-harris-wrong-gun-control-laws/

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And Fl has one really weird one, a certified, working police officer must abide the three day waiting period on handguns unless they also have a FL CCW. Makes a lot of sense to me when they are REQUIRED by law to carry even off duty!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is it me or is calgunsfondation.org outperforming the NRA in California? Second Amendment Foundation from Washington State is supporting us in the 2A battles here.
NRA recently supported a Sheriffs candidate that has a .05% CCW issuance record and shows no real chance of changing in spite of Peruta.
I am just not feeling it for the NRA here. It seems that they would be fully behind all the lawsuits here to prevent precedent from spreading.
Is NRA primarily focused on "the big picture" only?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Calgunsfoundation.org is the best thing we got. Worth supporting.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a NRA life member, support the Second Amendment Foundation

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Calguns is powerful here. Much more so than any other organization. But to be fair, they only have one state's laws to worry about.

This ruling is outstanding. Soon we will be rid of that stupid law.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I can't stand Kamela Harris. She has advanced politically and professionally solely on the basis of her gender and looks. Intellectually she is a complete lightweight and as politically craven as an AG can possibly be. There is no Leftist political position she will not espouse to advance her career.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.