Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A nice looking tree stand rifle. Not my cup of tea though. It sure wouldn't look like that after a season of elk hunting here in the mountains.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nyrifleman: Thanks for the link to that elegant custom Model 70.
It truly is a work of art.
I prefer 25" or longer barrels on my Hunting Rifles!
The last custom made Big Game Hunting Rifle I had made was built on a Transition Model, pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action.
Its in caliber 280 Remington and it is VERY stable afield with the extra mass and its free velocity improvements with the longer (heavier barrel).
I was surprised to see in the sellers description that Wisners now offers "checkered bolt stops" for the old Model 70's - I am sure the sellers meant to say "checkered bolt release".
The pictures indeed show a very handsome checkered bolt release on that 30/06.
Stunning Rifle in my opinion - worth $7,000.00, that is the question!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
http://www.hallowellco.com/goudy%20+%20Heilmann%203006.htm

Elegant, the wood isn't so flashy that it overpowers the rifle as a whole.

Am I the only one who prefers 23" barrels on non-magnums?

I'd love to own this one.

At $7000 that thing isn't going anywhere.

The right Winchester guy with the correct change would never blink an eye at 7K, same way with Echols mod 70's, 15K, no problem! Im still saving up for one of the Echols stocks!! This 7 K gun is a fantastic looker! I love the paneled bolt knob and the sharp bolt release. I would love to own D'Arcys Legend in .264 win mag but for now Im tickled to death with my low round count Westerner in 264 win mag, I have almost saved enough for his cap and gun case decal!! I think back to that old rolling stone song, 'you dont always get what you want BUT you get what you need and can afford! I do plan on going up in GA and spending several days with the cat daddy, Mr Robert Gradous and help,watch build my own beanpatch Hammer. Ive spoke with him several times, I have a pal up in NC that has built three guns with Mr Robert, all are state of the art absolute finish nail drivers, All trips have been a blast, all say he is a great teacher AND ANAL to 1,100000th! very best WinPoor
http://www.gradousrifles.com/

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I own an early original Echols. Well actually not a true Echols. When he was just beginning he worked in a small shop in Colorado. He installed a recoil pad on a Ruger 77 for me. Three elk seasons later the stock was broken. I saved the broken stock as this will probably be the only Echols work I will ever have.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

At $7000 that thing isn't going anywhere.

Don't bet on it... wink

Lots of guys have that tied up in currently manufactured junk and several superfluous magic cartridges. $7k is no stretch at all for a rifle like that.

It'll hunt too.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Very nice. Think I could carry that bad boy for a couple more years. At least till 65. Pay the grandson to be my gun bearer, and he can have it after i'm done.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a beautiful rifle.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Who needs an 06, when you have an apple and a good sharp knife?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just kidding.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LoL!! An apple and a sharp knife hunting kit would save a lot of $$$!

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you can live with that gouged wood near magazine well while somewhat overpriced that J.P. Sauer is better value. The original Mauser action is superior to the pre64 model 70 action. If you don't mind CRF plus lack of fixed ejector that HVA M8000 is very nice. Lots of hand labor there. I would take either over what you crave.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

If you can live with that gouged wood near magazine well while somewhat overpriced that J.P. Sauer is better value. The original Mauser action is superior to the pre64 model 70 action. If you don't mind CRF plus lack of fixed ejector that HVA M8000 is very nice. Lots of hand labor there. I would take either over what you crave.

Laffin......

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Laffin......

Ok, Goudy & Heilmann isn't G&H. You know, Griffin & Howe.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OK... I have to bring this up... a 1952 model 70 and they state that it "NOW" has a cloverleaf tang... Why in the world would you go to the effort to make the gun a Cloverleaf tang when it was not originally?

Last edited by Sako; 11/24/14.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sako
OK... I have to bring this up... a 1952 model 70 and they state that it "NOW" has a cloverleaf tang... Why in the world would you go to the effort to make the gun a Cloverleaf tang when it was not originally?

No reason other than to try to substantiate custom made status.

If you look closely there are really nice custom rifles out there. One I remember well was custom short clone Mauser action in either .358 or .350. It had hand finished fancy checkered walnut stock some action engraving and fine iron sights. It was true custom because action came from in house. The name on the rifle was Wells (someplace from AZ if I remember correctly). That rifle was well worth several grand.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by battue
Handsome to look at, but not perfect to hunt with at 8lbs 12 ounces.

Flatlanders can't pack what the mountain boys can it seems. It is a weak generation that can't carry a rifle unless it is under 7 pounds...

I've seen your Elk hot spot in a recent thread. You would have to get in shape to hunt Deer here in the Pa flatlands. Not so sure you could keep up or think 8-12 is all that great.

You mean the one where the 4 wheeler is parked in the background. He probably thought it was out of the picture whistle .....OOPS... blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Turns out it didn't last the week.

Which is good for my bank account.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Glad someone got a handsome rifle and I hope they enjoy it to the fullest.

Some of the Eastern flatlander country we roamed around in this weekend. Correction: make that rocky flatland country. smirk Long live LW rifles. grin

Addition: There are no as in none, roads in there. A highway runs up the middle valley of both sides, from 9 to 3 In the pic, but it is park the truck and pick your way up.

[Linked Image]

Not many "boys" from N-E-S or W will hang with this fellow when it comes to going-he wore my azz out frown - and if we would have connected with the Buck that did this I would have paid dearly for a 4-wheeler to get him out. That is up on a 50yard or so wide saddle and when it dropped off it didn't fool around. In fact a 4-wheeler wouldn't have got the job done.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/25/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,535
Posts18,453,012
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.