Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Worth a read. Of course our politicians can't seem to see where the failure was. I can tell you it wasn't gun control.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...pportunities/ar-BBf46Or?ocid=mailsignout

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This needs as much distribution as possible.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many Adam Lanzas are out there right now? My guess is plenty. The question is how do we know who the next one is, and how do we stop him? Myriad mental disorders everywhere.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Read the report it was crystal clear he needed help, he wasn't getting the help, and that he was going to snap. Yet plenty of people had chances to intervene and didn't. The general public refuses to place any blame on them. However they are so quick to blame gun control.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 11/21/14.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager
This needs as much distribution as possible.

I agree

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It all boils down to the person most responsible for him was sticking her head in the sand.

That didn't work out too well for her.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
She was the main problem but there were many others that had a chance to take action and did not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We used to take care of the mentally disabled now we just throw then into society because the costs of taking care of them is to high............we pay for it one way or another.

Things like Newtown will continue to happen if the mentally disabled are left to fend for themselves.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Read the report it was crystal clear he needed help, he wasn't getting the help, and that he was going to snap. Yet plenty of people had chances to intervene and didn't. The general public refuses to place any blame on them. However they are so quick to blame gun control.

Yes, I read the report. My point is that as a society we're in denial about those who are troubled. We refuse to institutionalize people with serious mental health problems until AFTER they commit heinous crimes. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people out there who need help but we're ignoring them. Some of them are going to snap, and when they do we'll talk again about how people had chances to intervene but didn't.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
We used to take care of the mentally disabled now we just throw then into society because the costs of taking care of them is to high............we pay for it one way or another.

Things like Newtown will continue to happen if the mentally disabled are left to fend for themselves.
This^^^^.

Steve.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Steve we hold responsible those in the mental health and education professions as well as parents. They are the first and best line of defense. As well as a clear channel of communication between the three.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The State Hospital in Austin was a huge institution with people committed from all over the State. In the 70s-80s everybody in Austin that got busted for drugs just checked themselves in, stayed awhile and then walked out and disappeared. Crap like that wasted all the funding for the mentally ill. Shut it down a long time ago.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We need more govt. If only we had more govt, this would never have happened. More programs, more people watching, more accountability for the failure to report the signs.

Some agency should have stepped in and taken him from his mother, no matter if he had a record or not. He should have been stripped of his rights based on suspicion of what he might or might not ever do.

Someone needs to be held accountable for his crime, anyone, but him.

Wonder why we're turning into a police state...

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/21/14.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Steve we hold responsible those in the mental health and education professions as well as parents. They are the first and best line of defense. As well as a clear channel of communication between the three.

So far I haven't heard of mental health professionals, education professionals, and parents being held responsible. Interviewed, yes. And they probably felt awful about what happened. But they can't be held responsible.

I once found myself in social work, kind of by default. (I was not a trained social worker.) I dealt with some of these. I had a man who threatened people, and when I called the police on him they couldn't do anything because they didn't witness him being a danger to himself or others since by the time the police arrived I had brought order to the situation. After several calls, I found a way to force the police to get him a mental health evaluation. It wasn't easy -- it took a call to the Chief of Police in Washington DC. I was lucky even to get through. Once again, the police said they couldn't do anything, but my trump card was I had the word of their Chief. He ended up being admitted to St. Elizabeth's Hospital. The guy used to call me every week and ream me out for putting him there, but I may have saved someone's life. You might say the system worked exactly as it should, but I didn't do it by the book, and had a little luck to solve the problem. If that's what it takes in the social work capital of the world, it's no wonder people's problems aren't getting addressed.

I have also seen one agency or professional after another passes the buck. I even had one experience trying to get someone help where every agency I called told me to call someone else until one of them told me to call the first agency I called.

More recently, my son was a trained social worker. He dealt with the same frustrations. He's in another field now.

By my observation and experience, our mental health system is broken, and the people who work with the "clients" are underpaid and overworked. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Steve.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A similar synopsis could be written for the Aurora, VA Tech, Gabby Giffords shooter to cite a few.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like his mother was just as screwy as he was....

and then having a compulsive workaholic dad...

sounds the punk was genetically screwed the day he was born...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Sounds like his mother was just as screwy as he was....

and then having a compulsive workaholic dad...

sounds the punk was genetically screwed the day he was born...

Dad also didn't have the legal authority to do anything except continue to write checks to Mom in order to pay for having procreated with her. That might have a little to do with it as well.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So where do we start? What degree of screwy is needed to be locked up? Who decides what is screwy and what isn't? Do we base this on a single occurrence?

Why not just heavily drug our kids starting at age 4 and keep them that way?

Unfortunately there is no 'answer' and I sure as heck don't what the state deciding everything. All we can hope for is that parents do the right thing, same as it's always been.

I have an idea, lets have another Wannsee conference to find the SOLUTION.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
sounds like the real road block for Lanza, was his mother.

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sad

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.