Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I know the feeling....grin.

I've bedded three of my Rem 700s, and a 10/22 with Devcon 10110 Steel Putty.

They have all worked out well. I was a little paranoid about accidentally locking the action to the stock, but no troubles.

I fill any potential locks with modeling clay (Walmart arts/crafts) and used Johnson's Paste Wax (Walmart) for release agent.

If you can 'bed' two slices of bread together with peanut butter, you're 95% there....grin

grin. Yep. Let me add, make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without making a mess wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
LOL, Yeah, my first try I probably put in triple the amount of bedding material as needed. It was squishing out everywhere in quantity.

You want to use enough for it to squish out some. You get a feel for how much to use after the first one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My first few, I had bedding compound end up in places I didn't know how it got there. In my hair, on the floor. Don't let it cure in your hair, it's hard to get out!!! laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Since Aleks is asking about bedding Winchester model 70's:

Pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt in swirly McMillan:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 270 win fwt in hunters compact Mcmillan:
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 338 Alaskan:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Classic sporter 30-06:
[Linked Image]

FN BACO swirly McMillan:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1169_zpsb0488b25.jpg[/img]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hey guys, thanks for all the thoughtful responses. Appreciate all the help a ton. Special thanks to the guys who posted photos, as they were a big help in terms of ideas.

One more thing I haven't worked out is whether to bed just at the recoil lug and tang, the whole action, or the whole action along with the entire barrel channel. Pros and cons?

The barrel does not sit perfectly in the middle of the channel either. The stock inletting sees it sitting slightly towards the left and almost touching the stock so I was going to sand out the channel a bit to attempt and fix this some before applying the compound
. Any better ideas?

You only live once.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Wrap tape around the barrel towards the front of the forend to centre the barrel.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So just wrap it around the barrel near the forend tip a couple times to help it centre?

You only live once.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will make sure the barrel free floats in the stock

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Adjust the thickness of the tape donut to have barrel riding where you want it. Eyeball it for float, as that's about where you will be when the bedding hardens.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys awesome

You only live once.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A few random bedding thoughts:

+1 on locating the barrel via tape donut

I strongly prefer silly putty to modeling clay to fill voids in the stock and action, it comes out much cleaner and more easily for me.

I like to bed either the recoil lug back to the mag inlet only, or that area plus the tang. If doing the lug and tang I'll put a wrap or three of tape around the center of the action, floating the areas which aren't being bedded and getting a little extra thickness of bedding compound where they are. Don't go crazy with that or you can screw up the z-axis relationship of the action to the bottom metal.

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks carl. Is there any benefit to bedding the whole action, or am I better off just bedding the recoil lug?

Also, the tape donut should be on the barrel at the spot where it begins to leave the forend correct?

You only live once.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think there is some benefit to bedding the lug, as you can control the actions location relative to the stock completely that way. Bedding the whole action (including around the mag recess) is prettier, if you do it well and want to admire the bedding job.

The tape donut can be anywhere along the barrel/stock interface where it won't interfere with bedding compound squeezing out of the lug area. I do prefer it towards the end of the forend.

Empirical results rule!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There is a big debate around here whether to bed the recoil lug "solid" or to tape it off. I prefer to tape it off on the front, sides, and bottom with at least two layers of tape.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I prefer to do it my way. You can't argue with the fn results:

This one has 2 recoil lugs bedded tight. Works great on paper and even better on critters:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is a pre 64 30-06 fwt that shoots alright:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/013_zpsaa2b4d1e.jpg[/img]

Boxer says it's all about the bullets. What a crock of chit. If you can't get cheap azzed bullets like these Winchester powerpoints and Hornady interlcoks to shoot well I don't want it. Any numb nuts can get sierra gamekings and A max's to shoot? It's all about the bedding. Without that, you're chasing your fn tail and burning powder unnecessarily.. Pretty fu cking simple..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I prefer to do it my way. You can't argue with the fn results:

This one has 2 recoil lugs bedded tight. Works great on paper and even better on critters:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is a pre 64 30-06 fwt that shoots alright:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/013_zpsaa2b4d1e.jpg[/img]

Boxer says it's all about the bullets. What a crock of chit. If you can't get cheap azzed bullets like these Winchester powerpoints and Hornady interlcoks to shoot well I don't want it. Any numb nuts can get sierra gamekings and A max's to shoot? It's all about the bedding. Without that, you're chasing your fn tail and burning powder unnecessarily.. Pretty fu cking simple..

Your pretty fn amazing.......

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
He thinks so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my question, and frankly why I dont bed my own stuff...

After you drop the action in the stock and the bedding material squeezes out, how do you clean that off the stock? I have run tape on the top and use release agent but cant seem to get all the devcon off. How do you bedding pros handle that?

I was at Kampfields one time and he had several stocks being bedded and drying, they all had gobs of bedding material oozing out, and no tape IIRC. Will that stuff just snap off clean when dry if release agent is used?

Last edited by passport; 11/22/14.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
passport;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you well.

With the understanding that I'm in no way an expert or pro at bedding and even though I've done somewhere around 5-6 dozen over the last 30 years I still seem to be learning I'd say this about that.

So I tape the stocks with painter's tape - green or blue, but have found "fresh" tape is better than stuff that's been in my shop for years.

I then clean off the excess with popsicle sticks that I've ground flat so they're like small scrapers you could say.

Then I use a cotton swab with white gas on it but use that sparingly as one doesn't want the white gas bleeding into the "good bedding" as it were.

When I just left the pieces that oozed out there to dry and then attempted to cut them off it seemed that I either managed to scrape the bluing or it would break off below where I'd wanted it to.

For the most part now bolt guns are pretty straight forward jobs but then too different actions seem to respond a wee bit differently - so stiffer actions like a Remington 700 are typically an easier job than a military 98 whose cut out makes it a bit more bendy in the middle.

The most "interesting" bedding jobs for me were fooling with a Mini 14 trying to get it to hit anything at all really and a full length stock muzzle loader. The muzzle loader was a treat getting out of the stock..... eek

Anyway sir, like the proverbial road to Mecca, there's a few ways no doubt and that was mine. All the best to you and good luck on your bedding jobs whichever method you choose.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne, good info. I need to grow a pair and make another run at this..

And what is "white gas"?

Last edited by passport; 11/22/14.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 13 invisible), 1,423 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,441
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.