Come on down and take your best...

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pray tell your wolf "experiences" in WY and WA?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It would take far longer than your attention span.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wyogal
It would take far longer than your attention span.

... nothing then?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't throw pearls before swine...learned that early in life.

IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don't throw pearls before swine...learned that early in life.

Boo!

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve
Come on down and take your best...

It ain't hard if you don't 'obey'

Never seen one myself wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Seen one run down a cow elk with a calf on the Scab creek feedground, then the rest of the pack joined in. Wolves run elk and deer into areas, that cannot sustain them, no forage. They get weak, while constantly being harassed day and night, until the wolves go in for the kill. Heard the terrible sounds of a bull
moose, saw how a pack of wolves began to take it down, tearing at it while it was still alive. It wounded one of the wolves, but the rest kept at it. About 5 yr ago, I was stalked by 4 young wolves after a rain storm, as I walked a game trail. 4 wolves approx. 4 ft from me. I yelled, and charged them. They scattered, but one ran behind me.
I documented this experience about 5 yrs ago, here on the Fire.
G&F reported they shot a pack 4 fours ago in the area of my experience. This year I watched a big charcoal colored wolf following 5 deer through the woods, where I hunted. I've heard them howl many times. More wolves back in the area. More molestations and beef calf killings. Kill a pack, and more move in. The Eastern Shoshone Tribe recently decreed that wolves shall not be shot nor bothered on the Wind River Reservation. I expect that after their elk and deer herds have been decimated, they will be screaming for assistance from WY G&F.

Last edited by Wyogal; 11/22/14.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
lol

That is what predators do in the wild.
They prey and check.

What, 400 count or less in the whole state?

Sounds like you might be better off in a high fence for your next wilderness adventure...

or just move to the city.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot all the wolves!

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kill em all quick or they multiply.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well, thank you for posting that, confirmation of my posts of a couple of weeks ago.
I wish my deceased friend was still alive, he was predicting this a few years ago on the north kaibab.

Like I said, my friends in the deer camp heard them on bill williams mt.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/22/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by krp
I heard the collar on it is similar to the yellowstone packs. Rumors aside, this is a weird deal and I'd wager the wolf was 'helped' on it's journey 'down'.

Kent

Doubt that very much. Give these wolves a little street cred...
As to numbers, anecdotals from ranchers, locals, hunters, place population much higher than G&F says. Don't believe those beaurocrats.

The issue is, how did a collared northern wolf get to the grand canyon in Az... collared wolf.

Where do collared wolves come from, how many collared wolves are there total in the US, and is this a sanctioned federal wolf... or a private enterprise wolf.

The most likely scenario is someone or group decided to release wolves in areas they want because the feds aren't moving fast enough or the right direction for them.

That collar is the key.

Kent

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
I heard the collar on it is similar to the yellowstone packs. Rumors aside, this is a weird deal and I'd wager the wolf was 'helped' on it's journey 'down'.

Kent

Doubt that very much. Give these wolves a little street cred...
As to numbers, anecdotals from ranchers, locals, hunters, place population much higher than G&F says. Don't believe those beaurocrats.

The issue is, how did a collared northern wolf get to the grand canyon in Az... collared wolf.

Where do collared wolves come from, how many collared wolves are there total in the US, and is this a sanctioned federal wolf... or a private enterprise wolf.

The most likely scenario is someone or group decided to release wolves in areas they want because the feds aren't moving fast enough or the right direction for them.

That collar is the key.

Kent

I would think tho kent, that if a group were to do that, they would remove the collar to prevent track back or monitoring. It has always amazed me with the mexican grays on the east side of the state that they were expected to stay there, or they would all be collared. How far can a wolf move in a day? Quite far i think.
For the time being anyway, they have a pretty good food source up in that area.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC a couple years ago a Mountain Lion was hit by a car in Connecticut. After examining its DNA, they decided it had roamed in from South Dakota, about 1500 miles. If a lion can do it, I'd think a wuff could as well, being known for their endurance.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-walked-from-south-dakota/1#.VHCi3VMvhXE

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 11/22/14.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm always surprised when someone questions an animal's ability to travel 500 or even 1000 miles.

Mankind is the weakest of all predators and there are many documented cases of a man (or woman in the Indian's case) walking those distances.

As far as the Wolves go,,,, I kinda like the idea of having a few around to hunt or just listen to in the high country.
What I don't like is the fact that the Gubment was involved in the management of them because, as we all know, Gubment could f-k up a two nagger funeral.
The feds let the whole thing get completely out of control and then dumped it on the states (sound familiar?), but the damage is done at this point. Short of an aggressive trapping/poisoning program (yea right) in the wilderness area's where the Wuff's are living large, they'll continue to increase until they completely deplete the prey and mother nature starts thinning em out for us.
Unfortunately, that day's not too far away for the Selway with others to follow.

The Wuff situation's no different than welfare, affirmative action, or any number of feel good idea's the folks we elect shove up our collective asses regardless of the consequences.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

now saying it is a female

Dylan Smith TucsonSentinel.com

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials announced Friday that they've got the straight poop on an animal seen near the Grand Canyon, confirming that a gray wolf from the Northern Rockies is making a home on the North Rim. While biologists were unable to capture the wolf for testing, DNA analysis of the wolf's scat showed that she is a member of the endangered species.

The wolf was first spotted north of Grand Canyon National Park in the North Kaibab National Forest, and is the first gray wolf known to be in the area for over 70 years.

The wolf's "epic journey through at least three western states fits with what scientific studies have shown, namely that wolves could once again roam widely and that the Grand Canyon is one of the best places left for them," said Michael Robinson of the Center for Biological Diversity.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued an emergency permit earlier in November to allow researchers to capture and conduct DNA testing on the creature, which observers said resembled a gray wolf.

Officials with Fish and Wildlife, along with those from the Arizona Game and Fish Department and National Park Service, were unable to detect a radio signal from a collar worn by the animal.

Biologists "attempted to capture the animal to collect blood and replace the radio collar," said FWS spokesman Jeff Humphrey. "Those efforts were unsuccessful and have been suspended due to cold weather, as our primary concern is the welfare of this animal."

Instead, the animal was confirmed to be a female Rocky Mountain gray wolf after testing was done on feces collected Nov. 2.

"Any future capture efforts will be for collar and transmitter replacement, and the wolf will be released on site," Humphrey said.

Thanks to our donors and sponsors for their support of local independent reporting. Join Henry Nicolai, Richard & Mary Fimbres, and Vanessa Richter and contribute today!

"The lab may be able to determine the wolf's individual identification by comparing its DNA profile with that of previously captured and sampled northern Rocky Mountain gray wolf females," he said in a news release. "This analysis will take several weeks to several months."

"The DNA results indicate this wolf traveled at least 450 miles from an area in the northern Rocky Mountains to northern Arizona," said Benjamin Tuggle, southwest regional director for FWS. "Wolves, particularly young wolves, can be quite nomadic dispersing great distances across the landscape. Such behavior is not unusual for juveniles as they travel to find food or another mate."

From the FWS release:

Gray wolves have not been observed in the area for over 70 years when the last of the animals were removed through a decades-long predator eradication campaign. This female gray wolf is not associated with the Mexican wolf population, a subspecies of gray wolves that occurs in Arizona and New Mexico south of Interstate 40.

Humphrey said that the "confirmation clarifies that this gray wolf is fully protected under the Endangered Species Act."

Robinson, with the Tucson-based environmental group, said he is "very worried that if wolves are taken off the endangered species list she will be killed and wolf howls from the North Rim's pine forest will never again echo in the Grand Canyon."

FWS officials proposed removing gray wolves from the endangered species list last year, with the exception of the Mexican gray wolf, a subspecies found in small numbers in southeastern Arizona and southwestern New Mexico.

"Where wolves have already been taken off the endangered species list in the northern Rockies and upper Midwest, state-authorized hunting, trapping and snaring, along with federal aerial gunning, are driving wolf numbers downward," said a news release from the Center for Biological Diversity.

That group has recommended keeping the wolves on the list, and identified 359,000 square miles of additional habitat in the lower 48 states that they said could significantly boost the population of wolves.

"There's so much more room for wolves in the West if only we extend them a bit more tolerance," Robinson said. "The Grand Canyon wolf is a prime example of what wolves can do if only we let them."

It took nearly two months to announce that the canine spotted in Arizona is indeed a wolf.

The animal was photographed during the week of Oct. 5 by a turkey hunter who sent the photo to the Arizona Game and Fish Department, Humphrey said earlier this month. The encounter happened near the Grand Canyon�s North Rim.

Fish and Wildlife officials first attempted to identify the animal based on a tracking collar it was wearing, but the signal was too weak, Humphrey said.

Humphrey said earlier in November, before the testing, that the canine could be a gray wolf, a wolf-dog hybrid or a Mexican gray wolf, though he added that the last option was unlikely due to the appearance of its collar.

Mexican gray wolves, a subspecies of the gray wolf that once roamed much of North America, were reintroduced to eastern Arizona and western New Mexico in 1998. At last count, there were 83 Mexican gray wolves in the wild.

Susanne Stone, senior Northwest correspondent for Defenders of Wildlife, a nonprofit conservation organization, said earlier this month that long journeys aren�t unprecedented for gray wolves.

�They�re known for being a widely dispersive species,� she said. �Young wolves can act a lot like teenagers: They like to leave the nest, fall in love, get in trouble.�

Drew Kerr, carnivore advocate for WildEarth Guardians, a nonprofit environmental group, speaking before the animal's species was confirmed, that the most important thing officials can do is raise awareness about its presence if it is a gray wolf.

�When we have these wolves that travel great distances, they often get killed before anyone finds out,� Kerr said. �We�re hoping that this wolf gets an element of celebrity that might protect it.�

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Where is the DNA ran on animals. I hear a lot about it, but where is the lab? Who has the DNA profile of all the wolves in the Americas? Who is the expert on wolf DNA?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lived in Idaho a couple of years and was amazed how few people believed there were wolves around the region .

I took a picture of a track in SW Idaho ,Owyhee desert , a 300 wm /208 amax cartridge laid in a wolf track beside a dead mule deer buck carcass. The cartridge took up 2/3 of the foot print at best -one guy who hunted said "it's just a big dog track" not a wolf. I asked him do big pet dogs kill mule deer and eat them ? he said it could.
A wolf from the Boise pack was killed by a car in central oregon 10 years ago and some folks think there are only a couple of wolves in eastern oregon/washington.
There are wolves in washington oregon nevada california utah colorado arizona new mexico and even further I'm sure .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
While biologists were unable to capture the wolf for testing, DNA analysis of the wolf's scat showed that she is a member of the endangered species.

What endangered species would that be? mad

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (2UP, 35, 44mc, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.