Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
243Win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I guess the lrx bullets are not good for cold weather!! I was just on a whitetail hunt in northern Alberta and on the first day we got to a lake and there was a pack of 5-6 wolves so I try to load a shell into my rifle and the bolt wouldn't close and my first thought was that my handloads were seated to long but I know they were good. So upon inspection and removal of the bolt I found the tip of the lrx missing and some how it ended up on the bolt face and wouldn't allow the bolt to close which allowed the wolve to run away and left me swearing and very pissed off.

So thinking that was a fluke because I've never had a problem with ttsx , the next day as we were riding down the road and there was a coyote on the road and once again I load the gun up this time and didn't make the shot and while removing the cartridge I found another tip missing. After flipping the gun around I found the tip broke off. So needless to say I will no longer be using the lrx line of bullets which sucks because they shot great. My 270 wsm will now be fed 140 ab's which I know will not break off. Oh yeah temps were -27 to -15 Celsius.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could move to a warmer climate. And they might work there grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 243Win
So I guess the lrx bullets are not good for cold weather!! I was just on a whitetail hunt in northern Alberta and on the first day we got to a lake and there was a pack of 5-6 wolves so I try to load a shell into my rifle and the bolt wouldn't close and my first thought was that my handloads were seated to long but I know they were good. So upon inspection and removal of the bolt I found the tip of the lrx missing and some how it ended up on the bolt face and wouldn't allow the bolt to close which allowed the wolve to run away and left me swearing and very pissed off.

So thinking that was a fluke because I've never had a problem with ttsx , the next day as we were riding down the road and there was a coyote on the road and once again I load the gun up this time and didn't make the shot and while removing the cartridge I found another tip missing. After flipping the gun around I found the tip broke off. So needless to say I will no longer be using the lrx line of bullets which sucks because they shot great. My 270 wsm will now be fed 140 ab's which I know will not break off. Oh yeah temps were -27 to -15 Celsius.

I've heard the accubomb tips break off too. What's wrong with the good ol partition? Too much out of date for some of you guys???? Don't give us bs about them (partition) not being accurate enough either, because I won't buy that one... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's too bad. Not easy to get a crack at a wolf up there.

It can happen with an AB, too,and it isn't a cold weather issue.It did to me but at the range and it wasn't cold.Second round down after I fired the first and cycled the bolt...the tip had broken off a 160 AB,and the big open cavity hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp so the round would not feed.The tip had somehow migrated to the back of the action....it could just as easily have gone forward, too, into the locking lug recess, or chamber.

The additional "BC" is not worth it at normal game ranges,in fact out to 500-600 yards.Tips are part of the shooting scene these days,so I have hundreds here and load them for targets or varmint hunting. They see range time but I won't do any serious hunting with them for just this reason......one of those things that might work fine 99% of the time.

It's the other 1% I worry about. Just like what happened to the OP,and you can't see it coming.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Just run the 130 gr TSX and have zero worries.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had Accubonds break off too. Some were even broke off in the box.

That doesn't mean I won't use them but does raise concerns for those times when you want the even the remotest of possibilities eliminated.

Kinetic bullet pullers will sometimes do a number on plastic-tips. Something to think about.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just pull all the tips off your LRX's - problem solved!!! smirk

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I've had Accubonds break off too. Some were even broke off in the box.

Same here. I shot them anyways though, no noticeable point of impact change. Not sure how it would affect the performance of the bullet though.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I've never had any problems with Hornady Interbonds, the tips stay on and do their job very well.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There were problems w/earlier ab's. Nosler happily replaced some of mine after I gave them lot numbers from the offending batches. They said the tips were OK but installed improperly....just saying what I was told. They also told me to take any loaded ammo and tap the tip sideways on a hard surface....if they survived that they should be good to go.
Maybe try the same w/the offending Barnes and give em a call w/your "survival rate" !?

IC B3

243Win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

that actually crossed my mind !! At least it was just a wolf I couldn't shoot and not a 180" whitetail.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I killed a bull bison in February with the temp around 0 to 10 degrees, and I was using the 200gr LRX via my 300 RUM. No tips fell off, nor had any issues. You might have got a bad box or something.

243Win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So today i tried 140 accubonds and they shot great , 3260fps and 1.75" group at 200m which I will take any day. But I tried my load again with the lrx and they shot a group of 1" at 200 m at 3415 fps . I just love the lrx accuracy in my tikka so I will just carry on shooting them. My only concern would be a tip breaking off and getting ahead of the bullet. Is there a chance of catastrophic failure if a bullet tip breaks off again and get ahead of the round that is in the pipe?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would just burn up all you have of that lot run, check the numbers then start fresh with a new batch..Wouldnt hurt to send Barnes and email informing them of it.

I've had it happen with accubonds, havent seen it with barnes but am aware such things can happen.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had to send several LR Accubonds back to Nosler for inspection and then go through two other boxes and give Nosler a total number of bullets where the tips were deformed/off center (significantly). They were kind enough to replace that exact number (IIRC it was like 58 of 300). Kinda sucked spending that much on the bullets and then doing Nosler's job (inspecting)??? They were 150 grain 270 bullets.

PennDog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There you go.. Pull some tips, see how they shoot with no tip.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've shot A-max bullets with no tips. Believe me, you won't hit much if you do that.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
243Win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I did talk to Barnes and they wanted to send me 3 boxes to replace mine but couldn't because they can't ship them to me in Canada.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I did talk to Barnes and they wanted to send me 3 boxes to replace mine but couldn't because they can't ship them to me in Canada.

That doesn't make sense...how do they ship reloading components to Canadian retailers?? Say like P & D Enterprises / WSS.

Maybe they can ship them to an Alberta retailer to hold for you.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Is there a chance of catastrophic failure if a bullet tip breaks off again and get ahead of the round that is in the pipe?

I would say, yes, to that.

Are your bullets seated long? Maybe the tips are hitting the front of the magazine under recoil or the chamber wall when loading.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.