Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9356751 11/22/14
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm positive my dogs are more thrilled when I kill a deer than anyone else in the household, including me.

My male dog, Roux, was going absolutely ballistic when I hung a doe this morning. I mean he was going crazy, making noises I've never heard.

Doe is completely butchered and just needs to be wrapped now. I have to cut a tree down after the season, it caught the bullet from the doe.

I love this time of year.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Oh, I think the dogs are in a deer coma now. There are leg bones all over the yard.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gave my Lab a deer leg 2 nights ago. In one hour it was devoured....bone and all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Makin em sleep outside for awhile?

My last winter in the UP, I fed the dog a bunch of bones and scraps. The dog was sleeping at the foot of the bed and I woke up in the middle of the night in a canine cesspool.... sick When I got up in the dark to let the dog out, I stepped barefoot in about 3 more puddles of funk. Uff Da!!!!

Last edited by Pittu; 11/22/14.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They get excited when they find game also....couple days ago he sniffed this one out.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine loves all the trimmings she gets off the deer.

LOL
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My lab gets bad gas from venison

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I save ave most of the fat/trim and crock pot it or fry it, then bag it in ziplocks. Remove a ziplock from the refrigerator, and both dogs' butts hit the floor instantly! The pointer actually lays down in front of the refrigerator offering suggestions on what to get. .

Gas no worse than normal. Now let that deer ferment a few days and whoa!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Lab's main talent is in finding the most comfortable furniture in the house. When I kill a deer, he sniffs it good to make sure it's dead and won't compete for his spot on the couch or eat any of his cheese.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Every dog I ever gave raw deer to ended up with the squirts. But they love it sooooo!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Road kill whitetail is a favorite and yes, the heeler gets insane farts. Real fun in the pickup cab. Roll the window down type of crop dusting....

We thought about not letting the dogs eat deer(so they wouldn't sniff the wind, find one before we did and possibly get hit...), but figured they would sniff and investigate anyway.

Try to pickup any deer ASAP.

The 2 little house dogs growl and whine like crazy when I cut up meat in the kitchen. And of course I give in and toss them some scraps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my house dog loved venison. he passed away from kidney failure a few years ago. i think about him everytime i start up my driveway with a deer on the truck. i cooked trimmings for him for years but he really liked it raw.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wife's Maltese loves any raw meat that I am working on but deer is the favorite. He goes to the kitchen island and stays a soon as I get a knife and cutting board. I do give him lots of very small scraps, but have never had any problems from it. The Westie will eat a couple of pieces at times, but does not get very excited about it. Kate the outside dog loves and devours bones like they are candy. I am always amazed at the power in her jaws. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are living the dream and loving it, nothing finer.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Dogs make everything better

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My lab has been dining on venison scraps for a couple of weeks now and is putting on a few pounds for winter.

I love this time of year also.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dogs make everything better

Amen!

What did the tree catch?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My lab gets bad gas from venison

Had almost an entire gnarly old buck made into venision bologna one year and every time I'd thaw out a chunk, the lady of the house would toss a few pieces to our lab. Then she'd grumble about how bad the dog would stink up a room.

When I suggested she not share deer bologna with the dog, she said the foul odor was better than losing a limb, if the dog didn't get dibs on the bologna. That ol' boy would be right on his toes the instant ya took a chunk of bologna out of the freezer.

Every dog I've ever owned was fascinated by dead deer at deer camp. One year we cut the deer up at camp and my bud threw the legs way out in the woods. The beagle I had at the time would fetch every damn leg back, given the chance.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One year my lab mix got a hold of some elk brains when I was finishing up with a raghorn bull. His stomach swelled up horrible bad and his butt made noises similiar to an air release on a semi. Just about had to repaint after that incident.

Our wiener dog, may he RIP, who we lost about 3 months ago. He would come running to the pickup every time we brought a dead critter home. He would jump for everything he was worth trying to get at em. I would give in and put him in the back of the pickup and he would growl and snarl and tear into em. He chewed the ears off several if I didn't catch him in time. Another great thing about that little brown dog was his love for elk. About a week before season I would take him and ride the 4-wheeler through the main logging roads in my elk hunting spots. He had a special bark for elk. When he winded em and barked and new that was a good spot to come back to when season opened. Man I miss that little dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great stuff, Brent. Take stock in the wonderful times he offered...gone but always remembered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.