Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My brother-in-law called and said that my teenage nephew wants a .22lr revolver for Christmas. It will strictly be a target gun--no hunting, no self-defense. There'll also be no formal competing--just plinking. The kid is big-- 6'2" and 240lbs. His hands aren't huge, but I think a Ruger Bearcat or a SP-101 might be too small (given that we're talking a range gun only). But, if you think one of those is the way to go, just say so!

Why not an automatic? 'Cuz the kid wants a revolver!

I'm going to guess the budget is in the $450 range, certainly no more than $500. New or Used, SA or DA, it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing I'll end up recommending a single six convertible, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
All I can offer is the observation that the Smith 617 is incredible, but most likely too expensive. The bearcat is very small, so I would look toward a single six if he wants a SA.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For the price range and to get it by Christmas a Single Six would fit the bill.

If it was a wish list with a longer time frame a Smith n Wesson 17 or 18 can sometimes be found for a wee bit more.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm 5' 11", 220lbs and the Ruger SP101 4" with a Hogue grip installed fits my hands just fine. In your price range, that's what I'd go with.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The classic choices would be either the Single Six (or maybe a Single Ten) or a S&W K-22, but of course the K-22 is unlikely to fit the budget. Another consideration could be a Taurus Tracker. I have no personal experience with them but have seen some good reviews. The MSRP is about $450.00.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Ruger SP101 with the fiber optic front sight is a real shooter!

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Single-Six.

Slamo-dunko!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love the .22Mag but convertibles are overrated. The two cartridges don't shoot to the same POI and most folks end up sticking to one or the other. I'd go for the Single Ten, preferably the blued 4 5/8" model from Lipsey's.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The real trap in helping other people shop for guns is that you end up shopping for yourself! Now I'm lingering over this gun, thinking that I really need it! I better step back from the computer and get a grip!!

Wade

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They look nice in pictures but they're way too heavy for a .22. Slow to reload and and they have a much undeserved reputation for accuracy, when in fact of the several I've owned all would be hard pressed to hold a 3" group at 15 yards with the finest target ammo.

Collector craze has raised prices to ridiculous levels, actual "worth" is more around $250.

Just tryin' to help you resist.... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jim! You're an oak! Not surprisingly, Mrs. Waders is also "helping" me resist! smile

Wade

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get him a classic that will last a lifetime and gain value.
A Colt Frontier, or Colt Peacemaker with do just that.
Get it with both cylinders, 22lr, and mag.
I have the Peacemaker and love it.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CraigC
I love the .22Mag but convertibles are overrated. The two cartridges don't shoot to the same POI and most folks end up sticking to one or the other. I'd go for the Single Ten, preferably the blued 4 5/8" model from Lipsey's.

Definitely! The extra four shots are worth it and the Lipsey model also has the aluminum grip frame. Accurate and butt loads of fun...
I've got pretty big hands and the gunfighter grips work just fine.

Think I paid $480 for mine, new.

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Waders, the S&W 18 is hard to resist

This 18-3 followed me home one day...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If it is for plinking only, I'd highly reccomend sticking to a double action with swing out cycinder. Look for some used High Standards, or maybe even a Taurus if you are stuck in that price range,
A swing out cylinder is a lot more fun( read quicker to load) than a single action.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In the price range most if not all S&W's, Colts etc are out. A H&R Sportsman 999 is a very nice one that can be found used. The Taurus pistols have been hit and miss for me and the ones I know of, some good some not good at all. New it's pretty much down to the Rugers.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For that price range either a Taurus double action or a Ruger single action. Look at Bud's Guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A friend of mine bought a Taurus stainless .22 revolver, was a horrible POS. Million lb trigger pull, inaccurate, hard to get the cylinder out. He sent it back and they replaced it with one just slightly less crappy. I'd never buy a Taurus, at least a .22.

Hard not to recommend a S&W of any flavor, though they ain't cheap. I bought one of the new 17s a couple years ago for way too much dough, but I don't regret it. Very accurate, and damn just a fun gun.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would rather have a single six (actually a single ten) than any cheap DA revolver.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For his size and if he just wants to do it right the first time and have something he will cherish forever...a S&W 17. It's going to be used but there are enough clean used ones out there that if your friend looks long enough he'll find one that fits the bill.

Will run from $550-750 but if one is patient the right one at the right price will come along. If one isn't found by Christmas then have your friend do a gift certificate for one complete with picture.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Definitely! The extra four shots are worth it and the Lipsey model also has the aluminum grip frame. Accurate and butt loads of fun...
I've got pretty big hands and the gunfighter grips work just fine.

Think I paid $480 for mine, new.

[Linked Image]

Dang that is a bunch of scallops in that cylinder...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You will notice that 90% of the replies do not answer your question for a revolver in the $450 range. Go back and re-read only the replies that do.
Taurus revolvers are certainly not top of the line. Sort of a cheap man's S&W. However when I was running handgun classes ,I picked up three of them for students. We ran a lot of rounds thru them and the only problem was with one that the rear sight adjustment was screwed up.

Yes I do have K-22. My most favorite rf revolver, but it is not in your price range, so scrap that. Might look for one of those High Standard's Double Nine which were fair revolvers patterned in a single action style, but a double action, or an older H&R. I'd still recommend something with a swing out cylinder that the lad can stuff rounds in fairly quickly and shoot. I have seen to many youngsters get bored with ejecting one round at a time and reloading like a single action requires.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Unless one finds a real deal, the options are somewhat limited. If he has large hands then the SA Rugers and Colts could be an issue. When looking for gloves I start at XXL and normally have to go larger. The Rugers and Colts just do not feel right. If money was not the object I would say S&W or perhaps a Dan Wesson.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, saddlesore. I suspect he'll be getting a Ruger single six (or ten) this year. Maybe next year he'll want to sell it and apply the proceeds to another gun.

We've all been there...

Thanks everyone for the help!

Wade

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I had a Single-Six convertible, blue 4 5/8".

I really liked it. Traded it away many years ago on a GP100 and kind of regret it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Can't go wrong with a Ruger Single Six. I see them for sale used under $300 routinely.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another voter for a Ruger Single Sx, or even the Single 10. Hard to beat, IMO

Run from the Taurus .22 Revolvers!!! If they are not broke, they will be!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Would have to agree with CHL on the current run of Taurus small frame .22s. I used to loan my S&W .22 revolvers to the local 4H shooting club....kids from 8-18. Not even the 8 year olds had a problem cocking back the hammer on the J-frame guns. The director of the program got a grant for some handguns and bought the newest generation 941s. The DA pull is totally unusable for most of the kids and many have to have the hammer cocked for them SA. One out of the ten purchased had to go back out of the box as it would not work.

Had had one of the older polished stainless 5" 941s in ..22 Magnum. It was an EXCELLENT shooter and just as accurate as the S&W 651 I had at the time. I sold it to one of my best friends who still has it. These guns had the 1/2 underlug barrel and polished finish vs. the full underlug/full underlug barrel of the current generation.

Have not done anything more than handle the current Tracker size .22s. I have three of the .41 Trackers in both stainless and titanium and all have been great shooters.

Can someone tell me if the dual cylinder Ruger Single-Six is any more accurate with the Long Rifle cylinder than it used to be. I have had five of the dual cylinder guns and only ONE was as accurate with the Long Rifle cylinder as it was with the Magnum cylinder. With the Magnum cylinder all were tack drives. With Long Rifles they shot patterns....all that is except for the Hunter Model that is just as accurate with either cylinder.

How about the Single-Ten. Being a dedicated .22 Long Rifle gun has anyone found them to be more accurate that any previous experience with a dual cylinder gun?

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by K1500
All I can offer is the observation that the Smith 617 is incredible, but most likely too expensive. The bearcat is very small, so I would look toward a single six if he wants a SA.
Not much need to look past this post. No offense to subsequent commentators. To me, this just sums it up. The model 17 is probably the finest .22 revolver ever made if size is no issue. If only single actions are counted, the Super Single Six is probably the best. To me, the 617 is the top of the model 17 line-the pinnacle. If you don't like stainless or extra bulk, the model 17 is the way to go.

Years back, Venturino did a test of single actions. This must've been clear back in the eighties. I can't remember if the Colt Scout came out on top accuracy wise or the Single Six did. Personally, though I've got the Colt, I think the Single Six is the better of the two. They were the top two accuracy wise, in the article, regardless.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just to be a little different, how about a H&R break action. I am 6'4" with large hands and these revolvers fit me surprisingly well. I picked a 6" model up at a pawn shop a couple of months ago for a shade under $300.

As a few others have commented, if you change the grips on the SP101 it can fit well also. My SP101 wears wooden Hogue and even though it is a .357 and not a .22, it is easy to shoot and fits my hands quite well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grips can be changed to fit, on most of 'em.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I you have a few pawns shops around hit them up and see what fits your bill. Someone can learn what thier likes and dislikes are from a cheap (but mechanically sound) shooter just as quickly as an expensive one.
Chances are if he takes with shooting regularly, he will be eyeballing gun cases on his own before long anyways.
Good luck to all and enjoy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
If it is for plinking only, I'd highly reccomend sticking to a double action with swing out cycinder. Look for some used High Standards, or maybe even a Taurus if you are stuck in that price range,
A swing out cylinder is a lot more fun( read quicker to load) than a single action.

That's a matter of opinion and highly debatable. The first handgun I bought with my own money was a Uberti Virginian .22 convertible when I was 12yrs old. It was years later that I added a couple K-22's (17 and 18) and my rimfire single actions have seen WAAAAAAY more use than any of my S&W's. If a Single Six ain't fun, you're doing something wrong. For me, there are plain few things more fun than a .22 single action.

Been trying in vain to wear out this Old Model:
[Linked Image]

Patton wouldn't approve my grip choice for the Bearcat:
[Linked Image]

Unfortunately the USFA 12/22 is long gone and way out of the OP's price range:
[Linked Image]

The model 18 that I paid $200 for has definitely been under-utilized:
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

That's a matter of opinion and highly debatable. The first handgun I bought with my own money was a Uberti Virginian .22 convertible when I was 12yrs old. It was years later that I added a couple K-22's (17 and 18) and my rimfire single actions have seen WAAAAAAY more use than any of my S&W's. If a Single Six ain't fun, you're doing something wrong. For me, there are plain few things more fun than a .22 single action.

Your opinion is just as highly debateable, especially for a youngster that wants to get out there and burn up ammo. Just about anything posted here is strictly opinion isn't it?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some is, some isn't, some more informed than others.

Burn up ammo? I don't know anyone who is "burning up ammo" when it comes to the .22LR. I've been sitting on two cases for two years.

Like I said, if you find a .22 single action boring, you're doing something wrong. The Single Six has been in continuous production since 1953 so obviously, I'm not the only one that feels this way. Besides, the only advantage the DA has is in unloading. Loading is a wash, at best. Of course, I only shoot 20-30,000rds a year through single actions so what do I know???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do agree with the loading/unloading part. My Single Ten isn't really any slower to load than any other (and I also have a MkIII 22/45). you can actually load two per 'click' on the ST.

I also like the fact that a SA does seem to make you 'slow down' and enjoy the experience more. With the current state of .22 ammo I sure ain't burning up the 22/45! Matter of fact, it's hardly been shot because the craziness started right after I bought it. frown

I actually have been hunting with some Aguilar shorts in the ST recently. They had two boxes left at SW so I snagged them...

Anyway, this is all opinion and as long as the kid doesn't get a POS ANY .22 handgun is usually a barrel of monkeys level of fun...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Since he's not going to hunt with it he might as well skip the convertible and go with the Single-Ten. The longer reload time may help to conserve hard to get ammo.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some is, some isn't, some more informed than others.

Then there are ones who think they are more informed!!!!!

As for being informed, I carried an NRA Certfied Instructors credential for 20 years and just stopped renewing this year, Range Safety Officer, past Gun Club President, helped put together a 560 acre a gun range, taught over 500 students Basic Pistol Classes for Concealed Carry Permits, of which Sheriff's office monitored and said I had the best one on Colorado Springs. Most of that was with a 22 RF.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/23/14.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Then there are ones who think they are more informed!!!!!

Some really are. And there are those who don't do enough .22LR shooting for their opinion to even be relevant. Those who also love to complain about carrying a full size 4" revolver.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I do find the SA reloading process to be a PIA. Really for me it comes down to the feel with very large hands I have never found one that I can shoot well. Perhaps I have not looked long enough, but then again I have no want to. I carried a 629 4" for a couple of years, finally got tired of the weight. Now have a 357PD 41 mag. Often forget it is there. Let him decide what fits and would be best. Have him handle a few, you might be surprised at what he picks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Waders
It will strictly be a target gun--no hunting, no self-defense. There'll also be no formal competing--just plinking.

I'm going to guess the budget is in the $450 range, certainly no more than $500. New or Used, SA or DA, it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing I'll end up recommending a single six convertible, but thought I'd ask here first.
Thanks!

The Single-Six fits your price point, is a quality gun, accurate and will last forever if taken care of. I've had three over many years, you can complain how slow they are to load but with practice you can load them pretty fast.

With that said, I prefer S&W double actions, the Models 17, 18 or 617 would be excellent for a range only gun. I feel they add an additional dimension in that you can learn to shoot double-action. Unfortunately they usually exceed your price limit, Not always though, sometimes a 17 or 18 can be found for around $500. About 3 months ago I (regretfully) passed on a S&W 18 at my dealers in 90% + condition for $500. You don't see them often at that price as unfortunately most sellers look at what the actually collectable ones go for and think their 80 to 90% gun with no box, literature or tools are going for and think theirs is worth the same. Are they worth $500 to $700? go price new revolvers and your question will be answered.

As far as accuracy goes I find that the Single-Six's and S&W revolvers are more accurate than most shooters are capable of... i.e. 1 1/4" to 2" at 20 yards. The key thing regarding rimfires and accuracy though is you have to try different ammo to see what they will shoot well. As far as trying match ammo in them and declaring them inaccurate because they don't shoot it good; I tried that with the match .22LR (UM1) that Federal developed for the olympics thinking that I wanted to see what a couple of my rimfires were Really capable of... guess what they did not shoot it worth a hoot! They shot CCI standard velocity much better at approx. one-sixth the cost.

Regarding Rimfire Ammunition; I know you're a regular here but I'm not sure if you're into rimfires much... have you tried to find any .22 LR in the last year and 10 months? After that nut case shot up the at Sandy Hook Elementary School Rimfire ammunition has been scarce to outright unavailable. So if they are set on getting him a revolver they need to start looking around for .22LR ammo immediately.

Regarding the Bearcat and SP 101; Not fond of the fixed sights on the Bearcat I had, especially the stainless version. Yes you can regulate the sights, but different .22 LR ammo will shoot to diff. POI. The SP 101 I feel is a good gun, the upper end plus of your budget, But the trigger to be kind Sucks (at least on the one I had and the one I now have), And will definitely need a trigger job.

Enjoy the search,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Small lightweight 22 revolvers make it hard for me, with my shaky hands, to hit anything.

[Linked Image]
Colt Official Police 1951
Heavyweight 22 revolvers shoot small groups for me.

[Linked Image]

S&W K22 1955
Again, heavyweight 22 revolvers shoot small groups for me.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My first choice for a kid would be the Single Six convertible or a Single ten. Second choice would be an SP101 22 LR. I bet you could find a used one for <$500. Put a set of Hogue grips on it and he's good to go.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wade, Just yesterday I saw a very clean S&W 17 and K22 both close to the upper end of your budget. Smaller shop up my way.

PM me if you want details.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Waders, the S&W 18 is hard to resist

This 18-3 followed me home one day...

[Linked Image]

Ooooo, Aaaaah.

I've always had the hots for the model 18; one of these days I'll buy one. That is assuming .22lr ever becomes readily available again. I have a 10 shot 617 that is enjoying the quietest time of its life; breaks my heart.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd go with the Ruger Single Ten.

Stainless, 5.5 inch barrel and indestructible.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

Awesome pair of colts

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't overlook the high standard double nine in your price range

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought a ruger bearcat for my kids to learn with when they were small. They always had a great time with it. The single six will be more accurate but the bearcat has found its way with me on more occasions than the bigger guns..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ABSOLUTELY do not buy a 317 kit gun. I bleed S&W blue and it pains me to say but my 317 was a pile of junk. I bought it sight unseen cause i wanted so bad.Barrel was canted and it spit lead terribly. Sent back and S&W replaced it it was so bad out of spec. Also I am a pretty experienced pistol shooter and it was very difficult to shoot accurately due to the extreme light weight and the fiber optic sights. For a trapper with very close shots it was the ticket but for any distance it was very hard to shoot. Several pistol shooters i know said the same thing when trying it out. The guy i sold it too i was completely honest with about it and he immediately replaced sights. He used it for trapping and loved it for the weight. I really wished i would have spent the money on an SP101 kit gun. I have handled a few and would need to change the grips but I think on a budget (non 617 budget) thats the way to go.

Last edited by k20350; 11/25/14.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A Charter Arms Pathfinder is a possibility for the lower budget. Although the High Standard has merit as well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd give serious consideration to a nice older Model 17 Smith & Wesson (K-22, 6" barrel). These can be had with a bit of looking for about $500. I can't say enough good about them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like my SP101. You can buy bigger grips for it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
either the s&w 17 or 18 is my suggestion. and it will cost a bit more than your budget but its worth it.

My diploma is a DD214
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Taurus Tracker 9shot 22mag is nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 49 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.