Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Practicality went right out the window with this one, but it's just quirky enough that I couldn't not buy it. Should be a great javelina or treed cougar rifle, not that I'll likely ever get to hunt either. I'll probably try to shoot a close range doe with it just to say I did. I have some of the new Hornady FTX loads that look promising.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That is very cool! It should be more fun than a .22 for popping cans and probably not a bad home defense gun if you changed out the sights.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is the most accurate 30 carbine rifle ever made. I'm not sure why that excites me.

LOL
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
but what is it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a Marlin model 62. Also made in the 256 Winchester magnum. Fun guns.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ironically, one of my first posts here on the 'fire back in 2003 was about one of these very rifles that I saw at a gun show. Now, 11 years and a couple days later, one lives at my house...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you're still having a hard time determining what to do with it, then I'll house it for you for a few years till you decide,,,,,,or forget. laugh

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mart
If you're still having a hard time determining what to do with it, then I'll house it for you for a few years till you decide,,,,,,or forget. laugh

Hmmm...you're in Alaska. It might make a good wolverine rifle. That's a void most hunters don't fill!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A guy's gotta have the right tool for the job. I'm thinking you're right on track. Seems to me like a lever 30 carbine would fit the bill perfectly as a wolverine gun. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch to push it into service as a lynx rifle. grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
would be a great rifle for calling coyotes in the woods with the right ammo

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
slightly ot but the first deer I ever saw shot was with that cartridge. out of a surplus carbine. think I was 11 yrs old and my oldest brother zipped open the belly of a fork horn muley. deer ran half a mile down the hill with out any thing but heart and lungs. flopped down in the shade of our pickup, waited till we got there and then went over the side of the logging landing, another half mile into the bottom of the canyon before giving it up. have never shot another 30 carbine but dearly want one.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With cast bullets think of it as a re-loadable .22 LR alternative .............

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
That is odd, i've never run across this rifle chambered in .30 Carbine. Sweet find, just for the WTF factor!

LMBH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one of those but not near as nice as yours. Got it in a trade for nothing years ago when I was a gun dealer and doing shows every weekend. Couldn't give it away and the "purists" made fun of me. Refinished the stock but it still looks homely. Found it in my safe a year or so ago and put an old Weaver 3x straight tube scope on it just for grins. It shoots lights out at 100 yards. The action is very fast and slick and my old lady can sell it or give it away when I'm gone. I wouldn't hesitate to pop a deer here with one where I live because they are small, the ranges are short and I can put it in the right spot. Your rifle is very nice.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would love to have a .256. Been trying to find one but they are very pricey.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I shot it at 50 yards the other day. It did not like the old Remington FMJ loads I tried first. This ammo is probably at least 25 years old and newer stuff might do better. I then tried some Hornady FTX Critical Defense and it perked up. After a couple of sighters, it put two in one hole and then I had a wild flyer so may have wanked it (the trigger is atrocious). Shot number four went back into the same ragged hole as the first two so the potential is certainly there with good ammo. I didn't shoot any 100 yard groups because the 2 1/2x scope wasn't enough for the small targets I had with me. There is a small hanging steel plate at the 100 yard line and I rang it 3 out of 3 with the 50 yard zero. I'll not attempt a shot on a deer at much over 50 yards anyway so I was satisfied. I'll carry it as a second gun into some of the box stands we hunt and see if the right opportunity presents itself.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's just a cool rifle! Cor-Bon sold a load using a Barnes 100gr X-Bullet that would work well on deer at reasonable range.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tmitch
That's just a cool rifle! Cor-Bon sold a load using a Barnes 100gr X-Bullet that would work well on deer at reasonable range.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I want to try those too. I've always been leery as to whether the various .30 Carbine soft point loads would actually expand enough to be effective. The Winchester hollow point would probably expand most readily but would it offer enough penetration? The Hornady FTX loads I have should surely expand well seeing that they are intended for defense against two legged varmints, but again, I'm wondering about penetration. Hope to find out. I have no intention of using this rifle for general deer hunting and only intend to shoot a doe or two if I can get a clear broadside lung shot at something around 50 yards. Any of the expanding loads should suffice under those circumstances. That Cor-Bon load would probably be the best and I intend to get a box or two when my distributor gets them back in. The Speer Gold Dot load is another one I intend to try, although it "looks" like any of the other standard soft points.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Cast up some of those Lee 115 grain RNFP GC or 120 grain RN PB projies and start plinking at things near and far.
Betcha if one loaded them right, that the 115s would not bounce off of the skin of a deer.
If the gun does not like those, then the 110 RN SP bullets should work for the project at hand.

One does not often see one of those and seldom in LN condition

Last edited by LouisB; 11/27/14.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.