Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So I put the asphalt plant away Thursday morning at noon, drive 4 hours home, pack my bags and my guns, give the bride a kiss on the cheek and off to the deer camp where half the guys have been swizzling Forty Creek already waiting for the Saturday opener when I walk in, at least the camp was already nice and warm. wink

Did some running around Friday getting thing that we forgot like peanuts in the shells and lamp oil and propane light mantles, etc, the usual. Spent the afternoon back at the stand, cleaning it up and kicking a foot of old leaves out, check the trail cams, etc. Finally Saturday arrives and I'm in my stand bright and early (couldn't see my hand in front of my face). All I see opening day and Sunday are the odd does getting pushed around by hunters but I wasn't in for one of them even though we had 4 doe tags in the gang. Monday morning rolls around an I wake up to a foot and a half of snow on the ground, just great! I ride my quad back to the back of my lot and follow the neighbors in, didn't even stop to chat because I wanted to beat them into the bush in case they kicked something up, well, I spent the first 20 minutes staring into his lot but nothing moving. I lean back in my chair and reach for my smokes and realise I brought a pack with only 1 cigarette in it, great, this is gonna be a hard 5 hours in a tree. Then I glance over at my old stand which is about 50 yds away and falling apart when I see a deer underneath it. I grabbed ole faithful (my 110 in 7mm-08) and wait for the thing to walk out from behind the tree's, and he did, wasn't expecting to see a rack and when I did I got the shakes. Damn deer was staying still but the scope wasn't. Thankfully one shot and it was a double lung, he didn't go more than 75 yds and down. Cool, no pressure on this guy back at camp now. We already had a doe on the pole so the 8 pt was making things look better. Come the next day one of the guys in the camp was getting frustrated with the hardwoods and went up the mountain to hunt the apple orchard. He sure wasn't expecting a hot doe to come running past him when he noticed the fork horn on her tail. one shot from his 25-06 brought the young horny fella down, when he looked behind him he noticed his grandfather was also looking for some lovin and dropped a 13 pt buck 30 seconds later. Happy camp, we spent the next couple days just relaxing while the young fella kept hunting our tags but he never saw a thing. All in all we ended up with a doe, the fork, my 8 pt and Jamie's 13. If you've been around awhile Jamie was my bud that fell out of his stand and broke his back about 7 or 8 years ago, he's all good again and I took his buck up to the taxidermist for him yesterday. Can't wait for next year!

Monday morning view:

[Linked Image]

My 8 pt and Ole Faithful: (if you guys take a good look you can see whats known as "scope eye". First time ever for me in all my years).

[Linked Image]

Doe and the 8:

[Linked Image]

The other 2 and the game pole Wednesday morning:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good for you Joe, sounds like good times for ya.

LOL
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great story and pics. Thanks for letting us enjoy your hunt.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you finally got to enjoy yourself! Sure enjoy seeing those big north country whitetails!!

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good story Joe. Your buck is a dandy, and that 13 point has some real character to his rack!

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice Bucks, sounds like a good time! Glad your buddie is doing well again!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice, that big one has some nice mass to it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on another successful season, Joe.

Pleased to hear your buddy Jamie has mended. Congrats to him on his double buck season as well.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ya, I think that he was an old buck on the downhill slope of his life, I'd bet is rack used to be a lot more impressive in his younger years. Not a real high rack but ya, lots of mass and character. Taxidermist used the same words. Liked the crab claw brow tines to. It had a hole under one antler and I thought it was a broken off drop tine but he said he's seen it before and says it may be a bee sting when in velvet, kinda neat.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. Sounds like a fun camp to be a part of. Congratulations.

Thom

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
nice! good times, great pics!

dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff, but that thumb hole stock has to go...

Arthur wouldn't approve

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you had a great time and a good hunt. Good on ya. Maybe next year you'll get "da tirdy point buck." grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well done! Bet yer glad the scope eye was only from an 08 case.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great story Joe - thanks for posting. I don't think you would have got that eye ring with a .22HP. By the way, what position were you holding the rifle in when the event occurred?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Looks like a successful hunt. Good your buddy is back in hunting health. I'm dreading the day I get my "scope eye". I just hope there aren't any witnesses. grin

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
I don't think you would have got that eye ring with a .22HP. By the way, what position were you holding the rifle in when the event occurred?

Had my left elbow resting on my wall and I shoot using my right eye, not real sure how I got the smack over the left eyebrow.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Any chance that it happened prior to leaving home? Sometimes a memory loss occurs after a head injury. grin GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Good work, Joe! Staying up all week? Now that the work is done, it's time to drain a few beers and some more Forty Creek!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/23/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Originally Posted by boltman
I don't think you would have got that eye ring with a .22HP. By the way, what position were you holding the rifle in when the event occurred?

Had my left elbow resting on my wall and I shoot using my right eye, not real sure how I got the smack over the left eyebrow.

Joe - that is quite a mystery - holding the scope to your right eye and having it hit over the left. I am very impressed you hit that deer laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.