Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm in the market for some 34mm rings. When comparing them they aren't nearly as common as 1" or 30mm and when reading comments I start wondering if I'm missing some good ones I'm not familiar with.

One big name brand I was strongly considering has negative comments in the reviews that the scope tube tends to twist while tightening them canting the scope.

The gun currently has Leupold dovetail base and rings that seemingly have been fine. I am wondering though if a picatinny rail base with appropriate rings would flex less?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What is the application? 34mm assuming a heavy duty long range or severe service capable tactical rig. Yes on the rail. Leupold Mark 4, Talley Tactical picatinny rings and Night Force all make good 34mm rings. Both Talley and NF have 6 screw versions.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seekins...

Public landowner...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Spuhr...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cinch
Seekins...

BOOM!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
Badger Ordnance is the gold standard ring pair to buy for a picatinny rail... If you have to buy both then also look at Badger for the rail...

PROPERLY mounted a pair of serialized Badger Rings on a Badger Rail imparts damned little stress. I've mounted hundreds of Schmidt Bender PMII 34mm scopes with Badger Rings on Badger Rails. The VAST majority of the time they never left the first ring mark after the scope was dismounted for whatever reason. I find it hard to believe they stressed a tube but so much if they don't leave a ring mark...

I've been comped with just about every 34mm ring on the market EXCEPT Badger Ordnance. Marty Bordsen has never given me anything... Other than a no headaches involved mounting system to offer my customers. They have been so good that I sold them at cost, with scope purchase, as they did away with any call backs due to mounting issues... Leupold's Mark 4 rings generally suck unless they've changed something. Cheap castings with suspect metallurgy that had the clamp foot obdurating during after multiple torque release cycles(as in 5 or 6 times). The Badgers went 1000 cycles for the USMC without obduration...

Regards, Matt Garrett.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Again, Seekins!!

Badger is Wayyyyy overated!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the 30mm Seekins rings I've bought. Machined well and good hardware. Vortex Precision Matched are made by Seekings, last I knew.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'd look at APA's rings!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Again, Seekins!!

Care to back that up?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Again, Seekins!!

Care to back that up?

Yep....Every set of Badgers I have used have left rings marks...and yes they were torqued to spec. Fit and finish are more of an industrial type & the nut on the side seems to snag every damn twig that they can.

Are they tough and hold tight, no doubt.....but Seekins is a much better ring in my opinion!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I'd look at APA's rings!

Very nice rings also!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nightforce and be done with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Again, Seekins!!

Care to back that up?

Yep....Every set of Badgers I have used have left rings marks...and yes they were torqued to spec. Fit and finish are more of an industrial type & the nut on the side seems to snag every damn twig that they can.

Are they tough and hold tight, no doubt.....but Seekins is a much better ring in my opinion!!

I see. It is down to your opinion and incompetence...

I strongly suspect that I've mounted more 34mm scopes, Schmidt Bender PMIIs all, in Badger Rings on Badger Rails than you have by an order of a 100 to 1 or better over the last 14 years. Should you feel this an unfair number please speak up.

You allow the scope to self center in the loose bottom ring halves on the rail. After the scope is has bottomed out in the bottom ring halves they can be seated torward the front firmly against the torque shoulders. This has largely been done to begin with and is only a minor final positioning. The ring caps can begin to be installed on the finger tight torque bolts on the side of the bottom halves. When scope is level, based on the reticle and the bottom of the erector housing to the top of the rail, the top ring caps can begin to be torqued. I typically use a feeler gauge to set ring gap and start initial torque 3-6 inch pounds under final torque and move up. I gauge how much tension that final torque is applying and alternate in a cross hatch pattern. As in back right, left front, front right, back left. This is done incrementally until the Seekonk MCX snaps over the first time. I then go back over the screws in the same order and check torque one final time. The final step is to torque the cross bolt on the rings to the rail with a 65 inch pound Seekonk T handle.

When PROPERLY mounted they don't leave ring marks. Granted you can scratch an aluminum scope tube with a steel scope ring ring unless you take your time and know what you are doing. True enough it is easier to avoid such ring marks with an aluminum ring that has HEAVILY RADIUSED edges. That said I prefer a steel rail on a steel receiver and steel ring on that rail... I don't have anything against Glenn Seekins or his products. As a matter of fact he asked me to be one his first dealers back before he had produced much of anything aside from a few early rings. He, at my request, tried to produce a lower 34mm ring to drop the 4-16x42 PMII closer to the barreled action. We found, due to the tube diameter, that significant reduction in mounting height was simply not possible. A reduction of .080" was achieved. 1" versus .920". I thanked him for opportunity, after running the rings for a couple of months, but politely passed. I did not think they offered anything over badger, or up to for that matter, and I still don't...

The "nut on the side seems to snag every twig that they can"... I see. Are you serious or generally just not all that bright? If the torque bolt on the side of the ring snags on twigs and boulders than I suspect you must really be into deep sniper craft. Dragging your rifle without a bag? If you are snagging twigs I am at a loss that you worry about scope ring marks. I've never heard an actual sniper mention the torque bolt catching on twigs. Is this really a problem for you?

Badger Rings DO have an industrial finish. That is one area where they could likely improve. That said the IMPORTANT thing about Badger Ordnance Rings and Rails has been in maintaining a super tight manufacturing tolerances and excellent metallurgy. The USMC, among many others, use Badger Ordnance without complaint. Granted they likely see less twig contact than you do. That said the rifles mounting system has yet to receive complaints.

They are THE 34mm Picatinny Ring GO TO company and have been for the past 15 years. To say you prefer Seekins Rings from your limited experience is one thing. Telling those how WAYYYYY overrated Badger Ordnance is, to those who know better from actual hands on, is an entirely different matter...

Matt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matt...you're the best & so is Badger, thanks!!

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm putting a Steiner 3x12-50mm on my Win 70 300WM. I'm wanting to start playing out to 1k and will probably be rebarreling eventually but for now want to get started with what I have for the most part.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I bet those nuts snag on couch fabric and bath robes too!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oregontripper
I bet those nuts snag on couch fabric and bath robes too!

And pubic hair........

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,743
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.