Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm curious what experiences ya'll have had with Leica or Swarovski ranging bino's. My simple approach is it's combining two pieces of gear, less for me to fiddle with and have to carry.

How good is the glass? How accurate is the ranging? I've been thinking about a Leica choice.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
once you use them you will not go back especially as a western hunter. I have the swaro's The latest leica's don't seem to fit me well and the glass has more green tint than even the previous model. The leica probably has a better RF, although the rf on my swaros totally blows away the previous model, leica HD's. The swaro RF easily ranges beyond 1000 yards on nearly everything. thats as far as I can shoot for the most part. I am really happy with them. The rangefinding is very accurate, leica does have some extra bells and whistles as to RF function. it really depends on what your want to do with them. Your probably not an extreme long range hunter so, pick the one that you like the glass on the best.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I picked up the Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B'd this past summer and they're frickin awesome! I owned the original Bushnell's, the Swaro's, both Leica 1600 and 1600B's, then the Gunwerks G7 and the HD-B's rock! I've got world class glass and a rangefinder/ballistic calculator all-in-one.

I like to spin elevation turrets so I down load my ballistic data to the MicroSD card and drop it into the battery compartment. The printed info says it will give dope to 1000 yds buy mine will go 1008. It uses the internal inclinometer, baro pressure and temperature to properly calculate a precise ballistic solution. It's always been within one 1/4 moa click of my Shooter ballistic app.

My Nightforce scopes all use 1/4 moa "turrets" so I set my HD-B's with 1/4 moa "clicks". At first, the 1/4 Mao clicks were a "No Go" as far as buying the set. Once I figured I'd make up a simply division 4 cheat sheet, that issue was gone.

The issue I had before I bought my set was the online program, which was powered by what I believe to be Gunwerks G7 ballistic program. The end user could only use G1 and not G7 ballistics (G1 = flat base bullets. G7 = more modern spitzer, boat tail ballistics). One day I sat down and compared several of my LR loadings and found it was only a 1"-2" difference at 1000 yds, the max distance the HD-B's are supposed to give dope to. Who cares, I thought!

Well, my pair are the gem of my eye. I've never had an issue ranging at least to 1400 yds on the brightest of days with the remainder of the distances I range going further. I cannot get them to go beyond 2100 yds, but, I don't care because I don't plan on killing anything that far out.

I got mine so I could carry one item and not two (bino and rangefinder). They work very well and even saved my elk hunt last month when I ranged a spike bull at 1020. All I had to do was range a few sage brush until I hit one at 1008, got my dope and added one 1/4 moa click. By the time I got set for the shot, he had moved in 70 yds without my knowing and I shot right over him by 41". I quickly ranged him again at 950, pulled my dope from the HD-B's, quickly dialed down 9 clicks and killed him....with 4 minutes of legal light remaining. Not sure I could have done all that in time with a rangefinder and a hand held ballistic app.

I can't compare my Leica glass to other world class glass because I haven't looked through them other than my 20+ year old Zeiss 10x40B's. The Leica's were better.

Alan

The 4 division cheat sheet, lamented at Kinko's using their luggage tag lamination plastic and two luggage tag keepers.

[Linked Image]

Oh, yeah. My 257 Roberts has a VX3 with a Boone & Crockett reticle so I set up the HD-B's for EHR (Equivalent Horizontal Range). I drop the MicroSD card into the set and when I range 400 yds, it takes the temp, baro presssure and up/down hill angle into account and adjusts the range I hold for; all in about 1 second.

Last edited by GSSP; 11/19/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
so they wont give an MOA or MIL solution? you're stuck with clicks?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yes they only read clicks, they do offer a MOA solution however they round it up or down, so if you get 18.6, it tells you to dial 19moa. 18.4 would be 18 moa. not really workable so everyone uses clicks. I am hoping they are going to update the 1600 with the same technology that the geovids have and fix the quirks.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My pair of Leica 1600's had output in moa to the .1. They ruined the 1600B's with the same click out put as the HD-B's. At least, to me, my little division 4 cheat sheet fixes the issue.

Alan

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So forgive my question if it's ignorant, but can you choose metric readings in meters rather than yards and get it to read in mils or related corrections in Mils ?( Clicks in Mils)

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I think I found what I was looking for if my math isn't goofy.

On Leica's site,"ABC�- Function 2
The point of impact can also be corrected with the Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC). It also displays the number of clicks required to adjust the reticle. Display formats are: 1 MOA, 1/3 MOA, 1/4 MOA, 10 mm/100 m, 5 mm/100 m."

So if .1 MRAD = 1cm @ 100 meters, 10mm = 1cm then by choosing the function2 for BDC with a choice of display in 10mm/100m it would be the equivalent of .1 MRAD or if you choose the 5mm/100m it would be in .05 MRAD "clicks" if you will.

Having a Mil turret, with .1 Mil graduations, you pick 10mm/100m and the adjustments will equal .1Mils each or one click.

You may be able to choose English measurements and still choose ABC function 2 with a BDC scaled to .1 Mils.

OR am I completely confused? crazy

Last edited by BigNate; 11/20/14.

Samuel Colt.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm not a mil shooter but if your math is correct, it sounds reasonable to me.

Alan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bushnell Fusion ARC 1600 I got here on the fire preowned (thank you to Great Waputi for a good deal and flawless prceedings).

To my eyes a serious piece of kit. Ranging in a quick test on par with Leica 1600. I can life very well with the so called "blue tinge".

Admittingly a bit anxious on the "electronics" not to take a dive...

For the purpose - in set with my canned Savage PC .308, SWFA 10x42 MIL/MIL - set up for ranging in meters - its the cats meouw.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the 10x42 ranging Swarovski's and love them. Got them when they first came out and they've worked flawlessly on many hunts. I spin turrets on some guns but have the turrets pre-printed in yards so I don't need to mess with the clicks, apps, programs and math, lol. I've ranged out to 2200 yards with them but would say they are really reliable out to 1200 or so and a little sketchy on what they will range over that.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had to have the Leica HD-Bs as soon as they were available. The integral ranging function worked well, but I really did not care for the whole package.

In Wyoming last year, I sat in my truck while my buddies were putting the stock on a herd of speed goats. I watched the whole thing unfold and was switching back and forth between the HD-Bs and my older Swarovskis (both in 10x42).

I decided to keep the Swarovskis. I have never tried the Swarovskis with the rangefinder, other than at the SCI show, and that was indoors.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I did a side by side analysis of the Swarovski and The Leica some back. I have owned them both since they were introduced. The long and short of it:

The rangefinder reads farther with the HD- B
Optically I see no advantage to either
The rangefinding button is easier to use with the HD-B
The HD-B is on the extreme end of size

I have the HD-B now but when Swarovski comes out with their next model, I will be a buyer. The HD-B was a disappointment, I was expecting more.
It will also be harder to sell the Leica, they never turn as fast as a Swarovski. I am sure I will have to take a big hit when that time comes...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am tempted but have held off thus far.

Binos that last for 30 years with a built-in laser rangefinder that will last perhaps a decade. Then you have heavy binos. smile

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wouldn't be without a set.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
[quote=shrapnel]

I did a side by side analysis of the Swarovski and The Leica some back. I have owned them both since they were introduced. The long and short of it:

The rangefinder reads farther with the HD- B
Optically I see no advantage to either
The rangefinding button is easier to use with the HD-B
The HD-B is on the extreme end of size

I have the HD-B now but when Swarovski comes out with their next model, I will be a buyer. The HD-B was a disappointment, I was expecting more.
It will also be harder to sell the Leica, they never turn as fast as a Swarovski. I am sure I will have to take a big hit when that time comes...

Shrapnel:

How is the view on the Swarovski? Is the the sweet spot as large as on the EL SV's (in focus to the edge, or a very large sweet spot)?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Rangefinding ELs don't have Swarovision and aren't the equivalent optically. The belly on the bottom of the barrels of the binoculars is worse to look at than actually to use. The only 2 features I preferred of the HD-B were the rangefinding button position and the rangefinder itself. I didn't get the HD-B for the ability to enter ballistics into the binocular. If that means something to you, it has one more preferential feature. I am not amused by the technical ability of the HD-B. I am just interested in the optic and rangefinding capabilities...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BigNate,

I have had my Geovid 10x42's now for nearly 10 years. During that time, they have been used for everything from turkey, to elk, deer, bighorn sheep, Ibex, two African safaris, etc. etc.

Never a failure to function, and having both binos and rangefinder in one quality optic is a huge bonus. I can't imagine going afield without them!

Once, I did manage to drop them out of a tree blind while whitetail hunting, and caused the left-eye diopter adjustment ring to freeze up. A call to Leica and shipment of the binos, and a quick return with my Leicas fixed, re-filled with nitrogen, at no charge.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
One additional negative on Leica's, Leica doesn't warranty used or second hand binos and electronics. Swaro and Zeiss do.

Has anyone compared the Swaro vs Zeiss bino rangefinders?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have and use the Bushnell's and would not be without again. My hunting buddy has the Zeis flavor and my crap eyes do not see enough improvement to justify the extra cost. I like Leica glass though....

Good Shooting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.