Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any game warden around here will state that there are no cats in East Texas, so this must be an alligator....
[Linked Image]

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Big gator, wonder if he caught him in the swamp.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What part of east Texas? powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just like wolves in California. Nice gator.

Sean
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What does that gator way?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heard gator is good, I wouldn't eat that gator...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'll play devil's advocate.

How do you know that it was killed in East Texas? Do you personally know the guy in the photo?

The reason I ask is because a photo of a hunter holding a mountain lion like that was posted a couple of years ago on a Mississippi hunting forum as proof that there were cats in Mississippi. It turned out later that the photo was taken somewhere out west.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't know where that Cat was killed, but that photo has been circulating on the web for 3 or 4 years now. It's been sent to me in emails from different hunting buddies who received it from other hunting buddies, and each time, it's been supposedly killed in a different region of TX. One email even claimed it was killed in some guys backyard in Dallas.
I know there are big Cats here in TX, as I've seen two personally on our Ranch, and one on a friend of mines Ranch in Coleman County TX. So I'm not disputing the fact that we have a pretty decent population of Mountain Lions or Cougars, or whatever you prefer to call em, here.
But by the looks of the size of that particular Cat, I'm guessing it's from either Canada, or somewhere near the Canadian / US border.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I recall that photo too.

But I will add that mountain lions are alive and well immediately adjacent to San Antonio (been at least one or two on Camp Bullis for years, with occasional sightings in adjoining parks), and thirty years ago a girl I was dating saw one on the deer lease where I was living south of College Station in sorta-East Texas, it ran across the road in front of her when she was driving in.

Just like leopards in Africa, they are so secretive by habit they can be there for years and never be seen. Never seen one myself, but I've found kills on Bullis and smelled the pugnent cat odor where they marked, and heard 'em twice in the dark from trails in said public parks.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very true Birdy. Their range is so large and they are very secretive, so very few people ever get to actually see one. No doubt that they travel all round there in that area of the Hill Country.

By the way, I lived on a Ranch just 15 miles N. of College Station while attending TAMU, in the early 1980's.
Saw Cat tracks a few times while out deer hunting, but was never lucky enough to see one there. The old Rancher, who's family had settled that Ranch in the 1890's had seen 2 there in his lifetime.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Taking into consideration the time of year they are usually hunted, that'd be pretty short hair for a northern cat.Its a big one tho, looks like a potential B&C noggin on him,from what I can see anyway.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Have seen tracks at the lease in Comfort.Hope to see an actual cat someday.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One killed in Bradley county Arkansas a couple of weeks ago. G&F have maintained for years that there are none in Arkansas. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
there are lions in all of TX, we have a lot down here.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
we are told in Florida, that the big cats are all but extinct, and need constant protection.
Truth is, they are quite numerous, and thriving. I have seen several in North Florida, including one that I see fairly often in San Felasco State Park.

Sam......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We had one running around downtown Sacramento a few months ago. They've really been hard on the deer herds here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the same week they declared the eastern mtn lion extinct a friend who is a cop was telling me about park rangers talking about watching cats within 2 miles of my house on the shenandoah national park. all va. game wardens say that we don't have cats in va.i know better,maybe they are right and the eastern mtn lion is extinct but they won't tell you about the western mtn lions they've hauled in to control the deer population. they said we didn't have coyotes for years til everyone started killing them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
We had one running around downtown Sacramento a few months ago. They've really been hard on the deer herds here.

Mid 90's there were a couple of attacks on the American River trail. I always enjoyed the panic that ensued! grin

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, wherever the picture was taken, it is just of someone's house cat that was misidentified by someone whose imagination is too vivid.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last confirmed lion killed in East, TX was close to Jasper and that has been approximately 20 years ago. Earlier this year in Jan./Feb. one showed up on someones trail camera and I forget which area of East, TX. I never heard the outcome if it was real or not but it made some media coverage.

Interesting things are happening so who knows. They are working on a possible reintroduction of the black bear to East, TX now.

Otto is my co-pilot.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Black bears are re-introducing themselves toTexas. They have been successfully reestablished in parts of Louisiana and occasionally cross the Sabine River. Also have a good population in Oklahoma, I think.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Black bears are re-introducing themselves toTexas. They have been successfully reestablished in parts of Louisiana and occasionally cross the Sabine River. Also have a good population in Oklahoma, I think.

Don't forget all the bears coming over from Mexico in far west Texas.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope bears do flourish in Texas.

The laws against killing/possessing bears in Texas are just insane.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They've been predicting a big boom in cats in East, TX for a while now. At least the biologist I have worked with have. Pigs are a great food source and they were predicting they would follow the boom eventually.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are correct on all counts. Lions go almost everywhere because of the size of their range, but they just don't stay in many places. Then again, most people think that even bobcats are rare because wild cats are so reclusive, and there are thousands of them for every lion.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SandBilly

That is some of the best gator meat I've had.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Few years back I grazed one while spotlighting. He jumped at the shot and hasn't been seen since. Turns out my scope was shooting a couple inches high.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by SandBilly

That is some of the best gator meat I've had.

Mountain lion, if shot outside a trap/snare is very good eating. Tastes a lot like deer meat. (Probably because they eat lots of them...)

Lions trapped or snared have been excited for way too long to be good eating.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
there are lions in all of TX, we have a lot down here.

Plenty of them in the Big Bend. They've about cleaned out the Bighorns in the Black Gap.

[Linked Image]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Any game warden around here will state that there are no cats in East Texas, so this must be an alligator....
[Linked Image]

Bullshit !!!!! no press report, no facts. Pure Bullshit

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The landowner on our lease near Menard had one show up in his backyard one night, where it was after bones & scraps from their cookout. He gave a rifle to his guest, but the man smooth missed at short range. They've made it very clear to the hunters they'd REALLY like us to shoot any lions we see. They have young kids visiting the ranch regularly and the cat spooked them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I saw it on the internet!!!!!! wink

Last edited by John_Boy; 11/24/14.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 36 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.