Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by bigblock455
dont like break actions? why the heck not? Beats 5" of extra length and weight for something that just holds a bolt that doesnt even move backward.

The current bolt-action Knights seats and extracts the primer just like a little cartridge. Cycling the bolt also cocks the striker. With a properly fitting primer, it seals very well and the breech stays clean. It's a little early to say, but my impression is that the number of shots that can be fired between cleanings, using BH209, will be determined by how much plastic gets left in the bore from the sabots. With full caliber conicals, I think I may be able to shoot as much as I want between cleanings.

The Ultra-Lite weighs 6 lbs bare. Full up, with scope and sling, I think it's still under 7. Everyone that's handled it has commented on how light, handy, and well balanced it is.

The 1-28" .50 has become the .30/06 of MLs. They're available in about any configuration, even traditional. Properly loaded, it'll do anything you need.

I don't believe plastic sabot fouling is an issue in MLs. I've never ran into it. Typically I shoot about 20 loads in a range session and haven't any difficulties with 777 or BH209. When I used to shoot 777 I'd swab between rounds with a water wet patch to eliminate powder fouling but no solvents to remove plastic fouling. With BH209 I've shot 17 loads (no sawbbing) and the last groups of day were the most accurate.

You can shoots hundreds of rounds through a shotgun and not run into issues with plastic fouling. Granted, a shotgun is a smoothbore vs rifled but still. The only time I've ever ran into issues with plastic fouling was in the chamber of an A-5 that had thousands of shells fired through it. It started "jamming" and thoroughly cleaning the chamber with steel wool cured it.

Cleaning the bore of ML after a range session with a solvent that dissolves plastic fouling (like Birchwood Casey Bore Srcubber) should prevent any issues.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Guns like the CVAs fill a need, as do the really inexpensive guns. Ballisticaly, they're all the same. I tend to buy stuff that I think is nice, interesting, and well made, but other folks just want to hunt. Not much sense in someone like that dropping a grand on something they will only use a few days a year.

I've long liked the idea of a fast .45, but a .50 makes more sense for me as I can shoot .40, .452, and .458s in sabots and also full caliber .50s. The .45s thAt appeal the most to me are the Whitworths and Pedersoli .45 target and Mortimer rifles. The .45 percussion Sharps are also interesting, but not legal here for ML season. Maybe someday...

And in a fast twist 45 i can shoot similar weight conicals with a much higher sectional density and ballistic coefficient. I can also shoot any 45cal a 50cal can shoot but without a sabot. The only thing i can not shoot in a 45cal is a 50cal bullet and the vast majority of those have a terrible BC.

When i want to shoot a 50cal bullet i load them up in a 54x50 sabot. The Rem700ML in 54cal with a hunter bolt kit is a beast. Resizing 50cals for sabotless have far less options than the 45cals.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Kinda funny how MK85s, Elites and Super DISCs are still highly desirable and sell fast. Old inline CVAs......not so much. Many are probably tomato stakes now. That is a good place for extruded barrels.

Ive got DISC based rifles i bought over 10 years ago. Very few rifles would be an upgrade from an Elite or Super DISC. The Knight UL would be one of those few. Its too bad they dont offer one in a fast twist 45cal

Extruded barrels? Please explain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
hahahahaha!! extruded barrels, now hes on the wakeman bandwagon!!

Any credit you had just went down the wakeman toilet tunnel.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Barhunters right.. Its an inline, no inline will ever be bought and kept for life simply because each year, theres something new and better. Like the car market today, or better.... Projectiles.

Keep telling yourself that. This Knight rifle has been killing $hit since before you were born.

Tonights buck.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

let the little ones grow up dude!
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My current choice for a .50 cal conical is the Hornady FPB, which has a BC of .285, which ain't bad.

Actually, BC isn't an issue for me as I still regard MLs as short-range propositions. I know that they can reach out there a bit, but it's not what I'm looking to do.

I'm not being critical of .45s at all. If the gun I wanted had been available in .45, it would have been considered, but again for my use, the .50 was a better choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The plastic does seem to build up to make loading a little more difficult, factory UBC treatment and all. Only time will tell if the FPB guilding metal jacket will foul at all.

The people I know that use saboted shotgun slugs tell me that plastic build-up is a problem for them, with accuracy falling off after relatively few rounds. It's really only a factor at the range unless you get in a running gunfight with your deer.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Kinda funny how MK85s, Elites and Super DISCs are still highly desirable and sell fast. Old inline CVAs......not so much. Many are probably tomato stakes now. That is a good place for extruded barrels.

Ive got DISC based rifles i bought over 10 years ago. Very few rifles would be an upgrade from an Elite or Super DISC. The Knight UL would be one of those few. Its too bad they dont offer one in a fast twist 45cal

The CVA barrels from that time period were extruded steel. New CVA barrels are not. Kinda funny they didnt even offer a good 416 SS or chromoly until when??????? Roughly 2008 was it when Bergara got involved?

How long has Knight been using quality 416 and 4140 barrels? How about nearly 30 years. Lothar, Wiseman, McMillan and GM just to name a few.

I dont see anyone running out today saying,"Gee i want a extruded barrel instead of a good 416, 4140 or 416R barrel"....I wonder why?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The plastic does seem to build up to make loading a little more difficult, factory UBC treatment and all. Only time will tell if the FPB guilding metal jacket will foul at all.

The people I know that use saboted shotgun slugs tell me that plastic build-up is a problem for them, with accuracy falling off after relatively few rounds. It's really only a factor at the range unless you get in a running gunfight with your deer.

When I used to shoot 777 I got my best accuracy between rounds 3 and 13. After that accuracy would start to fall off. No problems with BH209 up to 17 rounds though (the most I've shot). I do notice slightly increased loading effort until about round 5 then it stays the same.

I can't say for sure if the loading effort is increased by plastic or powder fouling. If it was plastic then it should get harder to load with each shot but it doesn't seem to do that.

One thing worth noting is I'm shooting a TC Omega with very shallow rifling, a polished bore, and UBC.

I'm not disagreeing with you Pappy it's just I don't think I'm running into plastic fouling issues with my ML and the load/sabot that I've been using.

A different rifle (or shotgun), non-polished bore, no UBC, different sabot/projectile, and I'm sure the results would vary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still an inline newbie, so all I THINK I know is based on the maybe 40 rounds I've put through my rifle so far. If I ever get it back from my sons, I'll be able to continue my education.

They tell me it really puts 'em down, which is all I need to know for now.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When bragging of kills, it is best to compare the same species to same. Otherwise, any potential validity is lost.

I guess if I posted an elk now, that would count as bigger?

LMAO.

Show me your biggest whitetail kill with a pic of your muzzleloader. Then I will show you mine. And you will get laughed at.

Of course, yours probably involves a paycheck and a fence.........

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

The CVA barrels from that time period were extruded steel. New CVA barrels are not. Kinda funny they didnt even offer a good 416 SS or chromoly until when??????? Roughly 2008 was it when Bergara got involved?

How long has Knight been using quality 416 and 4140 barrels? How about nearly 30 years. Lothar, Wiseman, McMillan and GM just to name a few.

I dont see anyone running out today saying,"Gee i want a extruded barrel instead of a good 416, 4140 or 416R barrel"....I wonder why?

So these guns are no longer sold and you are claiming the new ones have extruded barrels? Sounds like Randy Wakeman had a real agenda with the old CVA company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anybody here really cares, read what White Laboratories has to say concerning CVA. They are THE most widely respected ballistics/tesing lab in America. Period. They don't lie, just state facts. No opinions.

CVA is the worst POS you can buy. And the company owned by the worst POS people you can buy from. They don't care about quality or safety, only dollars...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still an inline newbie, so all I THINK I know is based on the maybe 40 rounds I've put through my rifle so far. If I ever get it back from my sons, I'll be able to continue my education.

They tell me it really puts 'em down, which is all I need to know for now.

It'll put 'em down.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Wrong as usual.

CVA brought Winchester Muzzleloading into the market in 2003 i believe. I should remember that as my ex girl friend bought me a Winchester X150.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i've never hunted high fence 2muchgun, just public land and some private when we get lucky.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

So these guns are no longer sold and you are claiming the new ones have extruded barrels? Sounds like Randy Wakeman had a real agenda with the old CVA company.

I see reading comprehension is not your strongest quality. Please quote me where is said new CVAs use extruded.

You cant can you. Didnt think so.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
you asked when they started using SS barrels, you got my answer.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

[/quote]

[quote]I see reading comprehension is not your strongest quality. Please quote me where is said new CVAs use extruded.

You cant can you. Didnt think so.

Did you read the above quote? You were trying to slam CVA correct? Cut it with the insults not needed, if you can't discuss something intelligently don't discuss it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Optima has a 26" barrel vs knights 24" barrel on the UL.

Now if you want to talk light, Traditions pursuit ultraght at 5.15lbs.

Once again here is CVA Boy disrupting yet another thread plugging his cheap assed foreign made POS muzzleloaders. NOTHING NEW.

How is it that some here see this so clearly, yet others are completely oblivious to the writing on the wall?

Some need to get a clue......

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.