Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For Davenport, and other Iowa urban areas, that is mostly the case.

Edit; But it's mostly the case with all urban areas of the U.S. I'd have to say that Iowa is a bit redder than most of the states around it.

Last edited by johnw; 11/23/14.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

J
jac3k Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So, in a nutshell it's high taxes, no rifle hunting, and lots of democrats. That's what my research was turning up. I have an incredible career opportunity on the table and it could lead to even bigger and better things. Being from the south, I am not sure how we will adjust. Most of the snow I've seen melted before it hit the earth. Tough decision. Thanks for all of the info so far.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MCSO1357
... its way too close to Chicago, with problems that are associated with Chicago......

Which is also the source of most of the criminal problems in CR.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I consider Iowa a bastion of liberalism.

I don't know about "a bastion". Illinois to the east would be a bastion of liberalism and thank God I don't have to live there. Minnesota is a "blue state" but primarily due to the Twin Cities. IA is kind of the same. Mostly conservative farmers until you get to the bigger cities.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Farmers aren't conservative, they enjoy their govt handouts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jac3k
So, in a nutshell it's high taxes, no rifle hunting, and lots of democrats. That's what my research was turning up. I have an incredible career opportunity on the table and it could lead to even bigger and better things. Being from the south, I am not sure how we will adjust. Most of the snow I've seen melted before it hit the earth. Tough decision. Thanks for all of the info so far.

A buddy from Tennessee came to the area working a powerhouse job. He was as conservative a southern gentleman as you'd ever hope to meet.

He fell in love with the Iowa Q.C.s and spent most of a year there after the job ended.
He was an avid fisherman and hunter, and also liked to eat (and drink) well.
The area was right up his alley, and his 5th wheel trailer became the hangout of several local fishing fools.

Last edited by johnw; 11/23/14.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've bought property in preparation of moving to Wyoming on my retirement.
If it fails to come off, it'll likely be because I found a place on the wapsi river N.W. of Davenport.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The east coast of Iowa is left, and the west coast is right.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by savage24
There are two corn fields in Iowa - the one on the right and the one on the left. They want you to slow down and enjoy that view; the speed limit on any highway that is not an interstate is 55MPH. Whenever we travel off interstate in Iowa, the girlfriend drives.

Not true. But seeing that you're from Missouri you just keep thinking that. grin

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

No argument on that point from me. Socially conservative then if you like.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
^^^^^^^This man is spittin the truth there!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
George, it's Joni Ernst. smile

Black Cows Matter!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by savage24
There are two corn fields in Iowa - the one on the right and the one on the left. They want you to slow down and enjoy that view; the speed limit on any highway that is not an interstate is 55MPH. Whenever we travel off interstate in Iowa, the girlfriend drives.
Iowa does have very nice interstates ..... I80 and I29 were both redone in 2009...... probably a payment for making Obummer's name big in the primaries..... reason enough for me not to do other then pass through.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Be sure and wave.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having lived in the Midwest as a kid and moving South I would give it a go!

There's something to be said for a real four seasons.

You can always move. Back in few years if you don't like it.

Midwesterners are good folks.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Southeast Iowa is usually the warmest area of the State in the winter time. Yes, eastern Iowa is full of liberals so if you are a conservative we could sure use you. All in all the Quad Cites has everything you need and don't be afraid of a corn field. There are deer, turkey and pheasants in those fields and fish in the water. A buddy of mine is from Bettendorf and he likes the weather much better than in Des Moines. He grew up just a block from the Mississippi river. It's not Texas but it's not bad. Come and help us decide who will be the next conservative president in 2016. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
George, it's Joni Ernst. smile

Thanks! cry grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akpls
My son is farther north and west in Iowa and says that there are tons of deer and turkey around to hunt. Iowa doesn't allow rifles for deer hunting...shotgun, bow or muzzleloader only.

This isn't quite right. The lowest tier of counties has a late season rifle season, and anywhere else you can use a handgun of any sort, as long as the chambering is in a straight-walled cartridge. If you're a stand hunter, a TC Encore set up with a .375 Winchester, .45-70 Govt, .357 Max, .44 Mag, .454 Casull, etc. is a GREAT option - I used one in Iowa for 8 years and killed bunches of deer with one. Any accurate handgun is better than most shotgun slug options, and if you reload, WWAAAAYYYYYY cheaper to shoot.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I almost always assume that rural folks are conservative. I guess that's why I am always amazed that Iowa has so many libs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by selmer
Originally Posted by akpls
My son is farther north and west in Iowa and says that there are tons of deer and turkey around to hunt. Iowa doesn't allow rifles for deer hunting...shotgun, bow or muzzleloader only.

This isn't quite right. The lowest tier of counties has a late season rifle season, and anywhere else you can use a handgun of any sort, as long as the chambering is in a straight-walled cartridge. If you're a stand hunter, a TC Encore set up with a .375 Winchester, .45-70 Govt, .357 Max, .44 Mag, .454 Casull, etc. is a GREAT option - I used one in Iowa for 8 years and killed bunches of deer with one. Any accurate handgun is better than most shotgun slug options, and if you reload, WWAAAAYYYYYY cheaper to shoot.

I just went down to the court house and bought my deer tags for the 2 early gun seasons and the late muzzle. I asked and the gal told me there would not be a late antlerless rifle season this year. The disaster we had a couple years back with the "blue tongue disease" wiped out probably 70% of our local deer population and they just now figured out we don't need to thin out any more does.

I do all my Iowa deer hunting with a handgun, the only way to fly. grin

Black Cows Matter!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.