Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jac3k Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Fellas I have a job opportunity that would require moving the family to the Davenport Iowa area. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with it and could maybe list some pros and cons or general info that would help me with my decision. Thanks

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I work in riverdale, ia, which is on the east edge of the davenport metro area.

Square Shooters is your go-to...

B&B guns say no to...

K&K true value is a great place.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Try the 11th st Precinct for a grilled tenderloin sandwich and hand cut fries.

Try Sports Fans Pizza in Bettendorf.

Tappa's Steak House (you'll drive by it 3 times looking for it)

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Davenport is very close to the modern cradle of American gun making.

Leclaire, Ia, and Green Rock, Carbon Cliff and Geneseo IL are all just minutes away...
Davenport has a bridge to the U.S. Army's Rock Island Arsenal

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How could you NOT want to live in a place that has this kind of a car driving around somewhere?
[Linked Image]

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
My son is farther north and west in Iowa and says that there are tons of deer and turkey around to hunt. Iowa doesn't allow rifles for deer hunting...shotgun, bow or muzzleloader only.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are two corn fields in Iowa - the one on the right and the one on the left. They want you to slow down and enjoy that view; the speed limit on any highway that is not an interstate is 55MPH. Whenever we travel off interstate in Iowa, the girlfriend drives.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Less hunters in Iowa than in the east with 100 times more public land.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I live about 40 miles from Davenport to the southwest. Look at housing outside of Scott county for tax reasons. Closest Gun Club in Iowa is Bluegrass to the south of Dav.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you're a liberal Democrat and college professor....you'll fit right in!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by savage24
There are two corn fields in Iowa - the one on the right and the one on the left. They want you to slow down and enjoy that view; the speed limit on any highway that is not an interstate is 55MPH. Whenever we travel off interstate in Iowa, the girlfriend drives.

Not Really... U.S, 30 and 61 both have 4 lane sections that run at interstate speeds.

Originally Posted by akpls
My son is farther north and west in Iowa and says that there are tons of deer and turkey around to hunt. Iowa doesn't allow rifles for deer hunting...shotgun, bow or muzzleloader only.

sorta true... the two southern tiers of iowa counties have a rifle legal late season for antlerless only...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It could be debated that being in Iowa is not considered living. Can't say because I've only been through Iowa once.....at night....in a freezing rain. I didn't care for it. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lived in Davenport as a child and have been back several times as an adult. Wouldn't live there and sure wouldn't bring up children there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can only speak generally as I live on the opposite side of the state but have been there several times. It is an old river town (Mississippi) with some grand, big, old homes, and areas, and some trashy areas too. But you are on the Miss flyway and of course there is fishing on the grand old river.

Eastern Iowa is generally more timbered than the north and the west so deer and turkeys should be ubiquitous. The only issue is working out access. Pheasants are generally down everywhere but they are still there if you are willing to put in the effort though it is not the best are of the state for them. The NE corner of the state even has some ruffed grouse and trout streams with mostly hatchery trout placed.

There is at least one four year liberal arts college - St Ambrose College - and Palmer Chiropractic College is in Davenport.

Iowa is largely a farming state and generally "red" except in the urban areas like Iowa City, Des Moines, Ames, and Davenport which often tilt the state "blue." Though we did just elect conservative Republican Jodi Earnst to the senate.

I don't know of sporting good stores or eating places as mentioned above but am sure there are some good ones; I have been to a few but can't recall their names. You are just an interstate 45-50 minutes to the east of Iowa City, the University of Iowa and world class health care. Davenport does have at least one teaching hospital and perhaps more. I do not know about the school systems. The Interstate by the way transects the state from Davenport in the east all the way to the west, and then south to Omaha and north to Sioux City on the Missourri.

That's about it from the top of my head

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Check out where you are going to live. I live north of there and we have the highest water and sewer rates in IA. They are so high in our city, that 75% of the people are more than 90 days past due on their bills. If you are a dummercrat, you will fit in.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not sure what your experience was, but;

If I had to live in an urban area, I'd pray to find a place like Davenport.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey Tomme Boy,

Pauls had dozens of boxes of armscor .22lr on the shelf last night...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I live in Cedar Rapids, little over an hour west of Quad Cities. Bettendorf is nice, but pricy to buy a house. In my opinion, its way too close to Chicago, with problems that are associated with Chicago......

LMBH
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I consider Iowa a bastion of liberalism.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.