24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Springers, and to a lesser degree Labs, a very popular for all types of detection work.

My other half brought a Cocker X with her when she moved in, and that thing is beyond "driven" and nearer "absolutely mental"; I still can't believe a dog can get *that* excited when you return after being out of the room for 5 minutes lol!

BP-B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome thread, Ingwe.

I've never heard the 'stereo sniffing' info before. Makes them all the more unbelievable...

That parts per trillion literally boggles the mind...

Thanks!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great post Ingwe. We added dogs to the clan 24 years ago and their scenting abilities always amaze me. Friendliest alarm system there is!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree, Tom, way cool thread.

maddog

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
They took the dog, who already knew how to search, courtesy of a star student of mine,and taught him the ropes with ivory, horn, and all the accoutrements-weapons, ammo, powder etc used in poaching. They flew him to Zambia with two trainers to train the handlers, and set him up in a super facility, complete with armed guards 24/7 for him and the other dog involved. This is 'our' dog,and his name is "Ruger".... grin

Glad to hear that the dog is being protected with some serious security -- he sounds like he is a real threat to the poachers!

An acquaintance from Kenya told me that a few years ago a detection dog at Kenyatta International Airport at Nairobi was poisoned -- and it was an inside job too.

Evidently somebody wanted to smuggle something by air, and bribed some airport worker so the dog would be dead when the shipment went through. frown

John

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good read. Kudos oh Great One!

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jpb

An acquaintance from Kenya told me that a few years ago a detection dog at Kenyatta International Airport at Nairobi was poisoned -- and it was an inside job too.

Evidently somebody wanted to smuggle something by air, and bribed some airport worker so the dog would be dead when the shipment went through. frown

John

John, during a consult ( or two) with the Conservation Dog people I told them to not let the handlers know where and when roadblocks would be established.I hope they listened...

Also told them repeatedly when its time to exercise the dog daily, do it at different times and different places every day....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
This is great stuff Thomas. I do believe that it warrants a trip across the pond so that you may personally determine that your recommendations have been implemented (being the Grand Poobah does have it's benefits, no?).
What, you sold your .375? No worries, just bring along the 7x57 to supply meat for the pot and I would be happy to accompany you with my .375 to provide the necessary security. Never know when an old Dugga boy with heavy bosses might try to do the Poobah harm. Oh, and all liquid refreshments would be on me wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Inside the matchbox was a single percussion cap, illegal to possess as muzzle loaders and all they entail are common poachers tools.

Brings back memories. The common firearms where I was in West Africa were crude-looking muzzleloaders, percussion. Two things I regret; not taking a closer look/interest in these things at the time and also not hanging out more at the blacksmith's place in the next village, who IIRC used to repair them among other items. I'm recalling an adobe forge with hand-driven bellows.

Once when staying at a poachers' village out in the sticks they were using Greener 12 bores on Martini Henry Actions, along with relaoded brass shell and round ball ammo. A miner's carbide lantern was worn on the head and most hunting was done at night.

Only saw a break open shogun once, a single-shot, didn't see the brand.

On the topic of dogs, there are a number of accounts of Indians bringing their dogs to war along Lake Champlain in the F&I War and as well as portraits of 18th Century Eastern Woodland Indians accompanied by what appear to be 25-50 pound dogs.

I'd guess it would be very difficult to spring an ambush on someone in the woods who has a trained dog.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by jpb

John

John, during a consult ( or two) with the Conservation Dog people I told them to not let the handlers know where and when roadblocks would be established.I hope they listened...

Also told them repeatedly when its time to exercise the dog daily, do it at different times and different places every day....

Ingwe,

Great to hear that you are in front of this, and have already given them some very good advice!

I can easily understand that a good detection dog could be such a serious threat that the bad guys would "put a contract out" on the dog.

You can possibly bribe a cop or a dog handler, but your only option is to kill the dog that works hard for them every day. frown

John

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
If you know how things work in Africa, they'll kill the dog AND the handler for the price of a ham sandwich.

There was a dog being used years ago, a border collie detecting poached abalone on the coast of RSA. He got a price on his head pretty quickly and they literally trained a German Shepherd to go with him and the handler and guard the border collie. grin

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe,

I have not been to Africa, but all of the folks I know who have, say that life is very cheap there. frown

Regarding the abalone-detecting border collie and his body guard: that is mighty cool! Given the pack nature of dogs, I'll bet it was not difficult training either.

In my (admittedly warped) mind, I am picturing a border collie serching a fishing boat as his "posse" stands guard -- waiting for a chance to bite anybody that messes with the little dog! smile

Oh, and thanks for an excellent thread too, Ingwe.

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.