Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I still need to make the final deal with the guy. It wouldn't surprise me if he backed out. The motorhome is worth quite a bit more than my equity...he's supposed to come by & take another look at it today, then do a final look at the RV & if all goes well, I'll start emptying out the house either later today, or tomorrow at the latest. (I hope) Gonna head to AZ...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
Can anyone think of a drawback to Wyoming? One consideration would be if the OP hunts, and what resident licenses would be available to him in his state of residency.

Trust me, you don't want to spend a winter in Wyoming in a motor home!! shocked eek

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Montana is full.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Montana is full.

BS...one of my childhood friends dropped by unexpectedly a couple months ago & tried to coax me into moving up there...If I didn't mind the cold, I sure wouldn't stop in Montana...S.E. Alaska would be a far better choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Montana is full of people who moved here from other states so you might as well join us.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No smog in rural counties in Oregon. Some in a city or two. $86 for two years vehicle registration. My property taxes on 5 acres in the country are about $800 per year, no sales tax. Most campgrounds cost $7-12 a night, RV parks with full hookups $25-30? Winter weather not what you would call "pleasant" no matter the locality, either cold and snow in the east half, or rain and fog in the west half. Pleasant summers everywhere but the SW area around Medford/Grants Pass, too hot. There's bajillions of acres of public land, especially in the drier east half. NE Oregon around Joseph/Enterprise is very beautiful. I could easily summer there.

Hunting-
Good over the counter tags for bear, blacktail deer with record blacktail available. Elk is mostly draw, with some OTC tags, elk seasons are crowded and blow IMO. Excellent coyote hunting. Not much in the way of ground squirrels on public land, but private shooting is around with some effort.

Lots of rock hounding, fishing of all kinds including trophy brown and rainbow trout, salmon/steelhead. Many areas in Oregon see little to no traffic in the woods unless it's hunting season, so you can park your RV at a remote spot and be by yourself for many months while enjoying nice spring and summer weather. After my dad died, I parked my RV about 35 miles from home in the woods and spent the summer there next to a pond and was surprised how few people get out and drive around the hills anymore.

One summer I took my Mazda Miata on a roadtrip and enjoyed lots of private swimming holes, empty campgrounds, fishing, wildflower photography, antique shopping, etc.

In short, Oregon is a good state, especially in the spring and summer months, to get away in an RV and have some peace and quiet, if that's what you're after. I'm sure many other states do too. Again, I would not winter here if I had a choice.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A miata, wildflowers and antique shopping.

If it wasn't obvious before...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
A miata, wildflowers and antique shopping.

If it wasn't obvious before...

Quit being coy, just say what's on your mind.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"The fact is though,,, "MOST" Californians insist on bringing California with them when they leave."

That's all too true. Witness the demise of my State from the influx from our neighbor to the west.

That being said, I'd welcome thousands of Salmonellas and his family here. That doesn't mean I'd want to take him away from his rivers and seacoast. NV needs to annex that part of CA. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I'm in the process of trading the equity of my house for a motorhome...(great deal if it goes well)... Being a current resident of Ca. I'm looking at establishing residency in one of the neighboring states...My basic concerns are vehicle fees/smog...gun laws...

Dude, ... I'm sure you know what you are doing, but you are trading away something that tends to increase in value, for something that tends to decrease in value. Just sayin'....

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fireball2, quit selling Oregon. I've got to get back before it fills up or my passport runs out and you guys won't let me back in. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I'm in the process of trading the equity of my house for a motorhome...(great deal if it goes well)... Being a current resident of Ca. I'm looking at establishing residency in one of the neighboring states...My basic concerns are vehicle fees/smog...gun laws...

Dude, ... I'm sure you know what you are doing, but you are trading away something that tends to increase in value, for something that tends to decrease in value. Just sayin'....

Sycamore

Yeah, but what's the value of a man's quality of life and being free?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get your lifetime hunting license before you go, and possibly lifetime deer tag. Will pay for themselves in 2-4 years if you plan on going back to hunt.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Hell, come to Texas. As pro-gun as it gets, year-round hunting and no property taxes.

Whaddya mean by "no property taxes"...?
We didn't have a state income tax there, but the property taxes on our house were outrageous...!

I wouldn't call our property taxes outrageous compared to others I've seen.
I don't like em, but I am not much aware of anything thats scott free other than Alaska but I could be wrong...

I know, there are places that are certainly higher...but damn, I think 3,000 bucks for every 100,000 dollars in value is pretty high. That's what I paid in Pearland. A 250,000 dollar house costs 7,500 bucks a year in property taxes. That's pretty rich to me. I love certain parts of Texas though...the Hill Country in particular.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Set up an LLC in Wyoming and transfer the Motorhome into it. Get a driver's license and use that address. No personal property taxes, no income taxes. no vehicle inspections and you never have to spend a winter there.

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/06/best_tax_state_for_fulltime_rv.php

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/23/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't think of a place I'd rather be, west wise, than Wyoming or Idaho.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Me either, good call.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well some reality is short here on this thread. ND is very expensive place to live right now because of the oil boom. Montana has a state income tax, no sales tax, very expensive vehicle licensing costs. I don't know how their property tax stacks up against others. Like most places away from major urban ctrs transportation costs increase the cost of food and goods significantly. Like Wyoming and SD winter is usually a 5-6 month affair and can get very cold resulting in high heating bills. Wyo And SD have no state income taxes but get you on sales tax. Property taxes in Wyo are 1/3 of what we pay in SD as Wyo has mineral severance taxes to fund state gov't and schools.In SD they dump that burden on homeowners. I'd pick a milder climate state if you are gonna live out of a MH. Wherever you go do your self a favor and totally leave California behind you. You hate it enough to leave it and the rest of us sure as ph*k don't want that mentality around us. Good luck Magnum Man

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Well some reality is short here on this thread. I'd pick a milder climate state if you are gonna live out of a MH. Wherever you go do your self a favor and totally leave California behind you. You hate it enough to leave it and the rest of us sure as ph*k don't want that mentality around us. Good luck Magnum Man

I'm pretty well grounded in reality...There are quite a few contributing factors why I need to get out of the house, but my number one concern is my younger brother. If something happens to me, he'll end up homeless...for those that don't know, he had a stroke 8-10 years ago...he can't speak very well & his right hand is all but useless...since the stroke, his mental faculties have slowly but surely deteriorated. Getting set up in a livable travel trailer or motor home seems like the best alternative to me & it's gonna be a huge financial relief...I've already talked to friends & family & they are agreeable to come help him move to a secure park some place close to them so they can check in on him & help (if necessary) to get him into an assisted living facility if needed & if something happens to me. I think what baffles me most about some of the posts here is the notion that somehow living in Ca. carries with it a certain "liberal mentality"...
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pick Arizona as the new home base for prospecting/metal detecting fall through spring & maybe summer a few months a year up in the Sierras so I can meet up with my old friends & sluice a little gold. Pretty much a done deal as long as the guy with the Motorhome doesn't flake out on me... wink

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.