-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, its official now. Job re-location to Winston-Salem NC in Mar 2015. A bit of a difference from So-Cal/Eastern Sierra's to there. Went to check it out last Sept, was pretty damn nice. What can you folks tell me about the High Point area. Thats where we're looking to move. Any area help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by rifletom; 11/23/14.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I lived in High point for 18 years Raised my Kids there.....Pretty nice Town...Lots of game lands within a Hour Drive and lots of lakes.....Really no bad part of town. The Washington st area is where the black Folks hang out never had a problem... Folks are friendly.....If you Hunt I can show you a few good spots...when you get settled in. I live about a hour away Now....

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 11/23/14.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rifletom
Well, its official now. Job re-location to Winston-Salem NC in Mar 2015. A bit of a difference from So-Cal/Eastern Sierra's to there. Went to check it out last Sept, was pretty damn nice. What can you folks tell me about the High Point area. Thats where we're looking to move. Any area help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Why high point in particular?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just driving around a bit and kind of liked the area and houses there. Not knowing the area, didn't know where else to look. I'm certainly open to suggestions by all means. The work is in W/S, so places around there. Man,

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, don't know what happened to my post. Weird. But, that's where we're at. Checking things out. Big move for us.

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well ummmmmmm. Would not have been my first choice in NC but not sure what you do for a living.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Did you check out the Archdale area? Randolph county is pretty nice. I would actually prefer areas outside Winston over the High Point area. I grew up spending a lot of time in Davie County, so I am pretty partial to that area. There are areas north of Winston that are very nice as well. Check out Pinnicle, N.C. if you get a chance.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
byc, Ok, how come? Job is QC/QA/ Documentation for a large Co. Would like to know what the ummmmmmm is for tho.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
You could live in Mayberry and commute,...38 miles.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Mount-Airy-North-Carolina.html

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wilkeshunter pretty much summed it up. Just a funky city area. But move 30 miles or so up the road and not so bad. Up 52 is really nice. Point is get out of the city and head for the mountains. The 77 and 81 areas are great!!!!

To me, High Point is just an Interstate town with a Biscuitville. smile

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If working in WS, the King area is nice as is anywhere in Davie County to the west. The north Davidson area is nice as well. As stated High Point wouldn't be my first choice when there are so many other towns with 30 minutes of WS. Nothing wrong with High Point until furniture week...then you dont want to be within 20 miles of the place....unless you want to rent out your house for big money

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 11/23/14.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Well,...here's what I googled up.

http://www.wral.com/how-one-city-in-nc-cut-violent-crime-by-60-percent/13240777/

HIGH POINT, N.C. � The Rev. Jim Summey was fed up. On his way to church in 1995, Summey counted 13 prostitutes standing on the sidewalk within three blocks of his English Road Baptist Church.

"The neighborhood is like 100 percent better compared to what it was 20 years ago," McInnis said.

Now,..that 100% improvement could mean that there's 6.5 prostitutes every 3 blocks these days or it could mean that there's 26.

Like everything else, it just depends on your perspective.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Let me tell you about Jim Summey.....I will walk through hell for him cause he is ONE MAN of the cloth who will have your back doing it. And yes we had prostitutes on the street in front of the church...which is on the block where my wife grew up....long time ago it was a good working class area...now...HA!...but Jim has worked tirelessly for many years to clean up the area.

I've lived in High Point for the last 26 years....still here...not my first choice but family etc....would like to go elsewhere but with our wonderful housing market...well....the afore mentioned hell will freeze over before it will get any better.

I'm still in High Point rifletom...if I can help pm me and we'll talk.

Last edited by fgold767; 11/23/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd simply pick somewhere that was not in the 12th Congressional District - high concentration of urban areas. My wife and I attended the High Point Furniture show a couple of years ago - we decided that High Point was the nicest NC Piedmont town you never hear about. One of my longtime bird hunting buddy's lives there in a very nice area (the Burch Point area). I visit him and stay at his home a couple of times a year - always nice around his area, good restaurants, clean, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina%27s_12th_congressional_district#mediaviewer/File:North_Carolina_12th_Congressional_District_(National_Atlas).gif

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live south of High Point in Randolph County.

I work as a surveyor and we service W-S, HP, GSO areas so if you have any direct questions, let me know.

Couple things to consider is that the schools systems in Forsyth and Guilford Counties have merged with their respective city centers, so there are some issues there I wouldn't be happy with (i.e. the metro areas kind of pulling the strings).

Depending what you are looking for, there are some acreage tracts available in Randolph - taxes and costs are lower.

Likewise in Davidson County, plenty of suburbs to HP and WS without actually being in them.

Areas North of W-S and GSo are OK as well, like Oak Ridge & Summerfield.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck OP. I don't live far from High Point but don't know enough about it to have an opinion about it.

Welcome to NC.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You could also look at western Rockingham County which isn't a bad drive to Winston. Good luck with the move.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live about two hours west of High Point and I will second the motions of living outside the High Point/ Winston-Salem urban area.

If working in W-S I would recommend looking north or west of town for housing or the rural Davidson/ Randolph county area.

Good luck with your move and welcome to North Carolina.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I will echo what everyone else has said. I live south of W/S in the North Davidson area.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rifletom
byc, Ok, how come? Job is QC/QA/ Documentation for a large Co. Would like to know what the ummmmmmm is for tho.

IS this company located in downtown W-S? IF so PM me.

I would rent first for a while and do some research, there are a lot of really nice places to live that have less property tax and are convenient to work and play. Avoid any town that requires the use of 52 North or South, you will thank me later.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.