Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here is another grizzly attack, but fortunately this one ended relatively well.

Attacked by grizzly, saved by son in law.

On Oct. 14, the two men were walking in an area south of Fernie near a gravel pit where Podrasky works. Lloyd was kneeling down in some high brush to look at an old deer skull and horns, when he heard a loud thud.

"I looked up and the bear's eyes were locked on mine," recalls Lloyd.

He managed to yell, "Bear!" before the animal knocked him down and, standing on his chest, powerfully pumped its paws up and down.

"I'm yelling at Skeet: 'Shoot him! Shoot him!'"

As the bear moved to bite his face and neck, Lloyd punched his left hand down the bear's throat. The bear's mouth clamped down just before Podrasky fired his first shot at the animal.

"I could feel the vibration in his body from the bullet and his eyes rolled to the top of his head."

The bear slumped over and Lloyd screamed at his son-in-law to shoot again. Podrasky fired just as Lloyd was trying to kick the bear off his body. The bullet tore into Lloyd's left calf, up through his knee and blasted out the top of his thigh. He felt instant, burning pain.

And the bear was still on top of him, growling.

Lloyd shoved his other hand into the bear's throat to keep it from biting him and Podrasky fired another shot that struck the animal. It was enough to scare the bear off and it ran into the forest.

Worried it might return, Podrasky was preparing to shoot again but discovered he was out of bullets, says Lloyd. Podrasky ran around looking for Lloyd's gun, which had fallen onto the ground when the bear first knocked him down. As soon as Podrasky found it, the bear came back and charged at both men.

Lloyd says his son-in-law protectively stood over him and shot the bear three more times before it finally stopped and flopped to the ground.

But it wasn't dead yet. The bear was still roaring and Podrasky realized he was out of bullets again.

"I had two in my chest pocket," says Lloyd. "I handed them to him and he went over and shot him two more times, just to make sure."

Podrasky then called for help on his cellphone. A rescue crew soon arrived and carried Lloyd out of the bush to an ambulance. He was driven to a waiting helicopter and taken to hospital.

Lloyd says doctors are still trying to determine if he'll eventually get a prosthetic knee. For now, he's without any knee at all � his leg is straight and immobile. He uses a walker and wheelchair to get around.

He expects he'll be off work for almost a year. Friends have set up a fundraising page for him on YouCaring.com and have so far collected $26,000.

In the taxidermy business, Lloyd says he often chats with hunters and has heard stories of their bear encounters. He knows four people who have been attacked by grizzlies and lived to tell about it, including one good friend who was mauled 15 years ago.

The man lost an eye in the attack and had a metal plate put in his head. He was one of the first to send Lloyd a card in the hospital. "He said, 'We've got lots in common and lots of things to talk about, brother.'"

read more at link...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like the gunshot did alot of damage. Too bad, otherwise he was a lucky guy.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It has surprised me for many years at how often the victim of a bear or other wild animal attack is shot by the person trying to save him. I know action is happening fast and everyone is caught by surprise. I haven't been in that situation and so don't like to judge, but would sure hope I could do better.

Shooting the victim is so common that I talked with my 14 year old grandson last week specifically about that and about what we would do and NOT do if a bear attacked while he and I camped and hunted white tails in grizzly country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okanagan;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours doing well.

I've talked with the girls and my wife about the same thing as you as we've often tented in grizzly country, so it pays to have a plan.

That said, I listened to the interview with the gentleman who was mauled on CBC and can surely understand how the situation was chaotic at best.

Here's a link to the interview if you or anyone would like to listen. For me, a person who habitually hunts alone here in BC, some of it's tough to hear some parts of.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tack-survivor-describes-ordeal-1.2841216

Anyway sir, I think about you folks often and hope all is well with you and your entire family. All the best to you folks.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/23/14. Reason: forgot link

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The bear attack, the shot in the leg, the struggle to survice and recover are all things which can happen here in BC. The victim in this case is showing remarkable strength and composure in dealing with the aftermath of his experience and expresses thanks for his partner's actions. Even if he should lose the leg, he will still be standing taller than he would if he had been alone or his son-in-law had not been able to respond as he did. GD

Last edited by greydog; 11/23/14.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
greydog;
Good afternoon to you sir, hopefully this finds you well.

I was very impressed by the composure of this gentleman and how articulate he was in the interview.

There is nothing about your assessment that I don't agree with for sure and yes, it is one of the things that can happen here in BC all right.

One or at least I always imagined a charge happening at a length measured in yards where there might be some chance to respond in a meaningful way. Getting jumped at 8-10' is something else entirely.

On a different and happier topic, the project you again gave me such good advice on is under way - well the action made it to Chris' anyway and he's got a 6.5 military barrel that he termed "excellent" - so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out now.

Thanks again and all the best to you folks greydog.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoved his arm down it's throat...

I don't think that I would have thought of that. It makes sense when I think about it, but I sure wouldn't have thought about it then. Smart guy.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.