Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
When I set up a hunting rifle, in the old days before I started bowhunting, I would have the scope height where when mounting the rifle I was looking directly through it. No fudging or squirming, I could keep both eyes open or squint but the lens would be full and eye relief right on. Sometimes took some messing with the comb on the stock, but usually just the correct low rings.

I have gone through a couple of scope mounts on the AR and still haven't got a high enough set to keep from scrunching my head down to see clearly. I know everyones face is going to be different so no real standard, but what do you guys do to keep from buying a bunch of different mounts? Do most people set their scope up like I'm thinking or do they wiggle into their cheek weld?

Seems like the 3-gun guys would want an instant look through the scope.

As always I appreciate your answers and comments.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What mounts have you tried?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I use a spacer under my rings.

When I bought the spacers the package said Leopold, but the are stamped YHM on the side.

This is what I have under my weaver rings:

http://yhm.net/mini-riser.html

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/23/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whats your budget?

There are lots of good mounts out there with varying heights.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I forget what mounts, just weaver style rings by different makers. I was at Cabelas with a tape measure trying to get something at least an inch high.

Thinking about trying the PEPR or similar, but wondered if I could find out if it was as high or higher. I don't shoot it enough to justify more than a 100 bucks or so. Would rather spend that much or more on a trigger.

antelope sniper, where did you find the spacers?

Last edited by Glynn; 11/23/14.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the mounts by Aero Precision. They look real nice for the money and are a higher mount.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks CBMJR, I checked em out, looks good. Going to measure and see if the 1.5 height will be higher than what I have now. I can always build up my fixed or adj. stock cheek.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Glynn

antelope sniper, where did you find the spacers?

I found them at Gander Mountain, but that was several years ago. They were about $20.00 for the set. I'm not sure Leopold is still offers them.

Here's the same spacer, along with some additional options from YHM.

http://yhm.net/mini-riser.html

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
gregintenn, does the 20 moa incline affect your close range shooting? How high is this to center above the pic rail?

IC B3

G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks antelope sniper for the link.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Glynn
gregintenn, does the 20 moa incline affect your close range shooting? How high is this to center above the pic rail?

I had no problems zeroing at 100 yards with this mount. They also make one without the 20moa incline.

I do not know the height, but it is supposed to be optimum for an AR, and seems about right to me.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Thinking about trying the PEPR or similar,
I beleive all my AR's use PEPR mounts. Economical and solid and less parts to fail than rails, rings, shims, spacers, and other gizmos.

You can usually find some in the classifieds or post a WTB for a set.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for all the info so far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nearly all the AR scope mounts are 1" from bottom of ring to pic rail. I personally prefer about 1.2 or about 1/4" higher than standard and what most people are using. ADM makes a higher mount that is about 1.4, larue makes a higher one. I have used the RRA mount which is about 1.25", its solid but heavy about 10oz. I have also used the bsquare mount, its kinda ugly but its 6oz, cheap, and gets the job done.

no one else will tell you this because everyone is so worried to death if the scope is mounted too high. For me I would rather use what fits me correctly and comes up to my eyes quickly without having to adjust my head once I pull up the rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I just mounted up a Leupold 1.75-6x32 in a DNZ Freedom Reaper mount on my 7.62x39 build. It's a solid, well made and light mount and it felt less bulky, less angular and generally sleeker than the PEPR mount. This is a dedicated short range deer gun so I wanted something that was light but solid.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sorry on a mobile and posted before I was finished.

I haven't shot it yet but it's solid and puts the scope out where I can get a NTCH cheek weld and still have sufficient eye relief. It's a dedicated deer gun for thick woods so I didn't need a $200 mount, however if that's your fancy the Larue is a great mount.

Last edited by Petro; 11/24/14.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have long fought the opposite problem...I cant seem to get the scope low enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the DNZ mount is 1.375 so its going to be .125 LOWER than the standard ar 15 mounts out there. It also depends on the shooting position you use most often. for prone shooting lower is a little better. anything other than that, off hand, off a non attached bipod, I think a little higher is better, but we all hold the gun differently so just see what works best.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The irons are 1.4" above the rail, that is the same plane that the original design found to fit "most" people in the service. Shooting styles and different body makeup are different and require different mounts.

The LaRue in 30mm sits 1.5" above the rail, while the 1" version sits 1.41" above the rail. I've tried both and even ran the 1.93" mount and the 1" version that sits 1.85" above the rail. I've settled on the 30mm version of the LT104 mount at 1.5" above the rail. It fits me perfectly, prone, offhand, benched and on sticks or any other positional shooting I do.

I did this on my dime and reported my findings here as well as the many other mounts I tried. Not everyone needs a QD mount regardless of the cost but I like to shoot irons and swap a lot of scopes and red dots.

There are lots of options out there, pick a few and try them then decide for yourself what fits you.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the DNZ mount is 1.375 so its going to be .125 LOWER than the standard ar 15 mounts out there. It also depends on the shooting position you use most often. for prone shooting lower is a little better. anything other than that, off hand, off a non attached bipod, I think a little higher is better, but we all hold the gun differently so just see what works best.

I have settled on an IOR Lo Profile Rider with a set of low rings. The riser is .416", while the rings are .150" to the saddle, so if my math is right, I should be at 1.06" to the center of a 1" scope. This puts a 50mm scope pretty damned close to the rail, and as close to perfect for me as I have found.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.