Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Before things dried up I was buying CCI and bricks of Blazer LR every time I went to my gun shop or Fleet Farm, along with 100s of CCI CB longs and shorts. As that started drying up I even bought a few bricks of Thunderbolts and Remington GBs. Even they are better than nothing and our boys don't seem to notice any problems with shooting them for their plinking.

During the time when things seemed to be turning prior to the big "dry up" I also bought 4 bricks of the Aquila 60 grain SS rounds to play around with, and 10 bricks of Aquila Super Colibri which I shoot more than anything else for pest control, quiet yard plinking at the cabin, and backyard fall squirrel and rabbit shooting for my canned garden brunswick stew. I have been giving some to my uncle and a few good friends when they need a box of 50. At this rate I anticipate needing more Super Colibri a lot sooner then any standard velocity rounds.

I have not seen .22 of any type on the shelves at FF in over 2 years now. I will get a lot more of the Aquila stuff when I find it again.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wish I bought more of those 60 grain aquilas too. Shoot great and nice anti-pest round.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

If your dream were to somehow come to fruition I would buy 100,000 rounds so myself and my family would never be subjected to another shortage/worry again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

100K rds sounds about right. Just need a place to store it confused

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had to take my wife to the Dr.'s this AM so I stopped in the Cabelas on the south side of Denver. They had abut 6 bricks out for $27 each. Limit one, but several guys grabbed two and then got on their phone. I got the next to the last brick. Didn't really need it, but these guys were obviously going to take up all they could and I just wanted to pi$$ them off. I bet they are there every morning.

I have maybe 5 bricks total. 3 left from 4-5 years ago .

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love it!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Wow, you really do a lot of .22LR shooting. smirk

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by CraigC

I ran Basic Handgun classes for several years and went thru not bricks by cases of rim fire. Not so much now, hands and elbows have given out , probably from shooting too many magnum loads. Don't discount someone just because of what they are doing at present.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CraigC

I ran Basic Handgun classes for several years and went thru not bricks by cases of rim fire. Not so much now, hands and elbows have given out , probably from shooting too many magnum loads. Don't discount someone just because of what they are doing at present.

That works both ways, bud.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The 22RF shortage moved me to focus on light loading for all of the guns, and then casting my own. Just picked up a 22 cal mould. The kids will start with CF 22 cals. Plinking is a state of mind.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can buy 22 shorts now, at 40 cents a shot.
I can buy .223 now, for half that.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And I can reload a .25-20 for about 6 cents a pop with cast bullets. Or less. That is with a full charge load and 85 grain bullet.

With buckshot and a wee pinch of power it is slightly more than the cost of a primer. It shoots surprisingly well.

Then there's the answer to all component shortages to include #10 & #11 caps. It's called a flintlock. It's cheaper still.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Clarkm

And if your a bullet caster you can reload those range PU 223 brass as quiet as the rimfire short for less than a nickle a round. More accurate and hits harder also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Where can you buy .223 for 20 cents a round??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm planning on a case of match ammo and 5-10k of bulk.

I'm more pizzed about the powder situation frown Can't find a friggen pound of any handgun powder, just ran out of Bullseye and am low on Unique, 2400 and H-110. When that situation reverses I'll be getting at least one 8# jug of Bullseye, Unique, H-110 and probably 2400. At least primers and brass are obtainable again.

Then only upside of the shortage is it's easier to control the urge to buy more guns. Can't see plunking down money on a gun I can't feed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going rate in Michigan at Gander Mt is $22 for a 325 pack of Federal. Expensive to what I paid two years ago.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Remington ammo degrades dramatically in my opinion. The primer seems to get hard and become unreliable after 4 years.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just stopped in a mom and pop LGS that i hit while traveling to relatives for Turkey day each year.

Last year, $29/ 500 rnd brick, as many as you'd want.
One year later, $39 for the same brick.

33% increase since last year? Nice gesture. I passed.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I won't buy any and I don't even buy it when I see it available.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing now; buying the stuff that shoots well in my guns when I can. I'm not going to buy a bunch of crappy bulk just because I can. Bulk serves a purpose, just not my purpose.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Redhill: My "thoughts" - are, you are dreaming!
Its been 26 full months now since this rimfire shortage situation started (was foisted upon us!) and I see NO end in sight.
I have NOT seen Winchester Power-Points (hollow-point 40 grain gray box stuff) on a stores shelves in two years now!
If your dream were to somehow come to fruition I would buy 100,000 rounds so myself and my family would never be subjected to another shortage/worry again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thus ensuring this thing goes on and on and on.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.