Hop To
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hi Guys,

I would have asked this question directly of HS Precision however their contact us link doesn't work for me.

I have attached the link below for the rifle it is to be located on, short action.

http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-cdl-sf.aspx

The rifle will be used for walk around hunting.

I was thinking of purchasing it from Stockys Stocks but am open to suggestions if there are better operators or cheaper.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of HS Precision stocks on Remington Model 7 rifles and one on a Remington 700 with a long action. I really like them and have had no problems with them at all. The one shown below is a model 7 in 338 Federal.

[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I would give a thumbs up on HS precision as well...I used the hell out of one for years on a Rem.223

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like mine, but it is on a heavy varmint gun. Thick palm, wide fore end, one inch Hart barrel in 22-250, 700 SA.

Sean
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mine was on a sporter weight rifle....worked good!

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
They work well. I've had probably 9-10 of them from magnum sporter clear up to straight cylinder barrel contours.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

If you could indulge me a little further, is there a particular model that is suited that rifle and barrel contour? Its not exactly a varmint model but seems a bit rounder than the typical sporter and I have absolutely no idea what the profile is. I know I pull the trigger and it goes bang ;-)

I really want to make sure I get the right stock with the right clearance through to the forend. Having not retrofitted a stock before I would rather do it right than wrong the first time round.

Thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I ordered mine directly from HS Precision there are a bunch of paint options also for Remington they have the option of a cheek piece or not. The only complaint I have is the recoil pad is kind of hard for a heavy kicker, would be fine on 300 mag or lighter. Talk to them about the barrel channel I think there are some options there to. Call their number they were a lot of help whenever I called.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had one in the past. They are a good stock, heavier than I like, but a good stock if that isn't an issue. I'd take a look at the B&C Medalist though. They are very similar, made with the same construction methods and about the same quality as far as I can tell. The B&C stock is around $75-$100 less, but has fewer options for guns they offer it for. It is pretty simple to open up a barrel channel to fit a heavier barrel.

Both HS-Precision and B&C are heavy stocks weighing 2-2.5 lbs depending on the version meant for heavier rigs. If you want light weight for carrying around you'll need to start looking at McMillan, Brown Precision, one of the other manufacturers. They produce stocks weighing from 1 lb to about 1.5 lbs., but at about 2X the cost.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
J
I have one of the new lightweight(26oz)HS stocks on my 6.5cm custom. It is a very nice stock for a walking rifle. Just walked about 3 miles with it yesterday, hunting whitetails. Just be sure to skin bed any stock with a block in it. trust me, some blocks not totally true.

IC B3

J
J
I think mine was 097 mountaineer model

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my CDL SF 260 in the HS stock, it took a bit of sanding to get the magnum contour barrel to float but the stock seems to be of good quality. Got mine from Stocky's..VX6 on top.
[Linked Image]

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Perfect DD, that's what I will be looking to achieve.

Thanks for the post and pic.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The SOTIC committee had an H&S stocked M-24 burn in from 500ft when a moron jumpmaster forgot to make sure the lowering line on an M1950 weapons case was hooked up. Stock and rifle were still functional and intact.

My only problem with H&S is they chose to employ a murderer who should be wearing an orange jumpsuit. IE Lon Horiuchi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I purchased a HS Precision and had to have a gunsmith fit it for me. It still isn't fitted properly since I discovered the bolt rubs the stock making a black mark.

The paint on the stock isn't too durable either. I was riding in a "GATOR", the stock was resting against the frame in the front seat with the guide and the passenger, while riding.

Apparently the vibration rubbed the paint off in a 5 minute ride? Wasn't going fast so was in disbelief how it occurred.

I contacted HS. They wanted 80.00 dollars for repaint and another 30-50 dollars for shipping. I would have thought the paint would have held up better since the stock ran me 350.00 dollars?

I think for another 200.00 dollars I would have just bought a Mcmillian.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is mine, 338-06.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 92 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.