-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was a comment on a public forum, Dude... Both ways...

And having seen Steelhead posting for over a decade, going back to his time spent living in AK, I think his views are quite worthy.

I also see a huge difference in how much meat gets ruined with C&C bullets compared to the X iterations and have seen it first hand on a pretty big pile of very varied, very dead critters. And Steelhead has mentioned that more than once.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And having seen Steelhead posting for over a decade, going back to his time spent living in AK, I think his views are quite worthy.

I also see a huge difference in how much meat gets ruined with C&C bullets compared to the X iterations and have seen it first hand on a pretty big pile of very varied, very dead critters. And Steelhead has mentioned that more than once.

Pretty much this.

I've yet to go over to TTSX/TSX in my rifles due to the pile of other bullets I have now.

Son shot a decent 7 point last week. 80 yards, 243 Interlock. Killed the deer dead. Went 20 yards with its heart in 2 pieces. ZERO blood trail. Same load last year, deer went 90 yards with a goo for lungs - same song and verse. Literally zero blood trail. Caught neither one.

I don't have it figured out just yet.

Me

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

There are oodles of people who have watched his posts throughout the years. That is why we've come to the realization that post count doesn't necessarily equate to anything worthy of listening to. If you go back and read, we are talking about penetration. Not meat wastage.

I'm not saying don't shoot deer with them. I'm saying don't tell me that it is necessary for proper penetration.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did not take much of a look through your posting history to find you really only want to be a prick to a bunch of folks. Obviously trying to pretend your way into some sort of internet clique respect.

There goes the image of the Canadian Nice Guy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

There are oodles of people who have watched his posts throughout the years. That is why we've come to the realization that post count doesn't necessarily equate to anything worthy of listening to. If you go back and read, we are talking about penetration. Not meat wastage.

I'm not saying don't shoot deer with them. I'm saying don't tell me that it is necessary for proper penetration.

And again, what is your name ace? Did I stick my dick in your wife/mother/sister more than once whilst traveling through Canada?

Sorry bout that, but it's pretty obvious someone needs to breed the stupid out of you folks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've read this thread and have a couple thoughts to add.

I come from the camp that believes deer may travel a little farther after being hit by a TSX -- the TTSX may fair a little better from what I've seen.

With that being said, I primarily hunt with TTSX's (actually exclusively this year). I use other bullets too, simply because I like trying other stuff.

I also come from the camp that believes speed kills -- or the trauma from speed accelerates the kill. I like driving mono's fast, from fast twist barrels. I think twist helps in the killing process, buts that's another topic.

I've killed deer with about every bullet imaginable and I can honestly say no bullet compares to the mono's when talking lack of meat trauma.

My son killed a small doe late yesterday afternoon. He was using a RAR 223 and a 50 TTSX. The range was about 75 yards. He hit the doe on the on shoulder and the bullet exited just behind the opposite shoulder, blowing through a rib, then hide. The deer made a 30 yard death run and collapsed.

[Linked Image]

The heart/lung area was jello. There was trama at the exit, but a lot of bone was being pushed as well. It was to get warm today, so I skinned it early and got it on ice.

This is the entrance wound....

[Linked Image]

The deer was hanging when I took the picture -- that's why the hole looks oblong. When the leg is picked up to mimic the standing position, the hole looks round....and it's round all the way through the shoulder. The back side of the shoulder had the "jello" under the membrane, but it came clean after pulling the membrane then washing.

I see examples like above quite often with mono's and that's why I continue to use them. They may run a little farther than they would have with a cup and core bullet, but I've yet to loose one. I've never worried about blood trails when I can see them fall...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There he is! You've had about every type of weather you can have for a season..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
60 here right now. Last week didn't get above freezing. It's been a crazy November and these kids have worn me out!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I hate hypocrites worse than anything else............

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
John, you never have to justify liking or disliking any bullet for me.

We all get to liking what we like. Long as it works for us thats all that matters.

I had forgotten about how slow the 308 is... you are probably dead on there in regards to damage. I forgot that I looked at those wounds and thought how much perfect they were to me and hence would not use them in my 300s.. unless I went up and I don't think they make any over 210 and that might not be stout enough for my tastes.

In regards to damage, I have NO clue on how a bullet that stays in one piece mostly, can do more damage than ones that come apart but we've seen that quite often too, and to top it off, its internal to teh organs... it rarely does anything to the meat... that one baffles the hell out of me. But it happens and I'm not unhappy about it.

In fact am going to see how light I can find barnes in .277 for my buddies dad... his shot placement approaching 90 isn't all that great.... 130 interlocks have been ok but if i can find say a 90 ttsx and run it a bit faster than 3000 somehow of course... we may have to experiment...
If he wasn't so stubborn I'd buy him a 257 wtby....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Try the 85 TSX at 38-3900 from the 270. I'd planned to use one this year but didn't. It's still high on my "try" list....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's crazy talk. Try killing something bigger than you....

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

A good friend of mine here in Montana is using the 85 TSX at warp speed with Reloder 17 in his .270 Winchester, and likes it a lot. I believe he started using it at 3400 but now it's started at 3900.

This summer I worked up some .270 loads with the 95 TTSX and RL-17 that gets 3400 from the 22" barrel of my Model 70. This fall I went traditional with a 130 Hornady and H4831, mostly because I hadn't shot anything with a .270 for a while, but will probably use the 95 TTSX next year for something.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's crazy talk. Try killing something bigger than you....

I'd have to go east and get I to the elk herd for that to happen....but I wouldn't be scared!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I hate hypocrites worse than anything else............

Your self-loathing must hurt... Just sayin'.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm like most of y'all in as much I have shot and killed more stuff than I can count or even remember. I've shot and not found only 2
Specimens. It's something far less than 1% of critters shot not put In a pot

It's been a while since I shot anything with anything other than a tsx, but last week I shot a deer with a 120 fusion @ about 2900fps from my 7mm08 and when I started to skin itI out I got a little sad about the obvious waste. The bullet went through ribs on each side no worries, but the doe took a step forward, on the offside- pullin the onside shoulder into "impac area". Anyway it's shoulders were an absolute mess, and it made me feel bad. I can't get 120 tsx going as fast as some claim to in a 7mm08, which is why I didn't use them this time.

Well- I'm back on the wagon. I don't think ill ever choose a projectile for hunting based on whether or not it'll kill something where I can fin and pack it out. In that regard bullets are like steelhead flies. They all work. To me it's all about table quality. Anything I can do to improve table quality ima fan of and that includes shot placement (please, no guts or buttts) and bullet selection- and mono's can't Be beat when it comes to not screwing up meat

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They might not be tough on meat but they sure work wonders on mountain goat brains, don't they? wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hahaha. "Skull shuckers. Effortlessly Strip that skull of eyes, brains and horns in moments." I thanked him again the other day for saving me all that cape and skull weight on the pack out. Alot of guys are just totally self serving and would want to preserve all the trophy they could knowing they'd be carrying the same load down the hill either way- but not Riley.... If I'd known he was gonna give it that treatment I wouldn't have carried anything but a daypack. Thrown a quarter in it and put each horn in one of the little pockets on my carharrts and called it good.

Do you know offhand how fast your 7/08 and 7x57 120 ttsxs are going? If I felt like I was able to start them @ 3k I'd be pretty happy- but I don't think I'm there and I don't have any chrony access down here.

This is the conundrum- I hate trying to milk fps from a short rifle and a common sense cartridge but legitimately- if I can't start one @ 3k fps or more- I'm less enthralled by mono's. I'm comfortable with 130's in a 308, 150's no so much. And 100s in a bob are tits and I have *reason to believe* I could do with 80s or 85s whichever it is in that same cartridge though I see no reason to go smaller than 100.

7mm08 doesn't quite have a tsx that I can get completely onboard with. Though I know it's going to all work out fine- and ill be happy with the 120's... I just need to shut up and shoot them.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
H4350 and 120 TTSXs give me 3k on the button from a 22" 7-08 tube...and accounted for an elk and three deer this year ranging from 80-340 yards. Performance was awesome on all accounts and nothing made it further than about 40 yards.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.