Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bobcat season opened in TN this past Saturday. I can't wait till the weather turns miserable cold to try out my FoxPro call. I usually don't mess with them until about the second week in January.
I generally use a cz 452 in the .17 rimfire. This season I'm gonna be totein a s&w 617 .22 lr wheel gun along with me too.
In some ways its more fun than big game hunting to me.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I understand that. We are in the middle of deer season here. Can't wait to have the woods to myself again. My Black Mouth Cur and I, and sometimes even horseback after squirrels, coon, even the occasional coyote run! I take mt Encore pistol in .410 and my Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R mag. Occasionally take the caller instead of the dog and see what comes in.

Good luck this season, pics are always nice!

Last edited by Robster; 11/28/14.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Robster
Good luck this season, pics are always nice!

Carefull what you ask for. wink

Our season opens Dec. 14th.
I use a 22mag and a Cur dog when I can find a fresh track to run. (The GSP goes along for moral support. LOL)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For calling I like my 17FB but I don't call very many.
And forget the electronic crap. Hand calls only for me but to each his own.
[Linked Image]

But the easiest way to bag the buggers is trapping. Especially when you get my age.
It's fun too. Every morning's like Christmas.
[Linked Image]

Here's a few of the better ones I've taken over the years.
Some treed, some called, but most were trapped.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/CharlieB401/S7300984.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/CharlieB401/005-1_zps5024775c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/al...ping%20Stuff/008-1_zps2c62121a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/CharlieB401/Trapping%20Stuff/010_zps59f62f0d.jpg[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Last year's catch and my best year ever.
There may be some truth to that old saying "you're not getting older, you're getting better".
More likely chit house luck though.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what do you get for a raw hide?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As much as the fur buyer will give me.

Cat's have been on a tear the last few years but they're predicting a correction for the market this year.
I got 2,200.00 (350.00 average) for the six last year.
And 425.00 average for these four the year before.
[Linked Image]

Got Six hundred apiece for these two three years ago but the market was high and they were exceptional cats for this area.
The smaller one had an excellent belly and the bigger one was a monster. 37# and stretched 43".
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
damn out of my range...guess im just gonna have to spring for the trapping license and hope i run across one someday

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not gonna put it on the internet but if you're ever traveling down Hwy 12 in ID stop by and I'll show you how to make a sure fire set.
Cats are dumb as long as you set where they live.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
didnt mean actual trapping, in MT you have to buy a trapping license to shoot bobcats and wolverine....coyotes and fox are listed as predators and no license required for residents....so if i want to shoot a bobcat that comes in when im calling yotes i have to have a trapping license, plus there is a quota where there isnt for yotes and fox....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gottcha,,,,

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never seen a wild cat in the wild... someday maybe.
Is that gas station at Wallace?
I always gas up there on hunting trips.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Orofino

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wonderful Pics Fieldgrade!
I run a mountain cur for squirrels and coons. They are great dogs.
How do you get your dog started on cats? seems like a lot of fun.
I call in a few in the winter months but the dogs seem like a blast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dude270

How do you get your dog started on cats?

Find fresh tracks in the snow and walk em up on a lead for a ways. Then turn em loose. Once they tree one they're hooked.

I also train on trapped Coon so she'll run a Coon too if left to her own devices but I don't mind just so long as she don't run Deer. A little electricity cures that though.

Getting her bark on with my buddy's GWP. Believe it or not, that stupid pointer trees Coon better than most hounds. LOL

[Linked Image]

She jumped this one while we were running my trap line a couple years ago. I had a Coon in a trap while she had one in a tree about 50 yrds away. It was a pretty exciting morning. Thought I was going to have to go back to the house and get more ammo. LOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
thanks for the tip on the cats. I will try to put my cur on some this winter.

We are about to go back on the squrrels by day and coons by night now that our deer season is over. The cur I have now is just a year old and I have been starting him by himself. He is squirrel and coon crazy with a possum thrown in now and then which I don't really mind. Deer were a problem til he went through the school of tri tronics.

Great Pics again! hope you have a good season

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting her bark on with my buddy's GWP. Believe it or not, that stupid pointer trees Coon better than most hounds. LOL

GWP's and GSP's were meant to be a do everything dog, its us Americans that try and shoehorn them into just an upland bird dog. if you look up on the European sub-forum some of those guys use them for upland birds, blood trailing deer and even for hunting rabbits....like usual we have tried to phug up a damn good dog breed turning them into something else.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some great cat pics , we are allowed 1 cat a year here, I saw a dandy bow hunting this year so going to try to call one in or a yote, not tried but a time or two!, do cats say in a set area? Might try to trap, been along time since I traped but still have a few.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't need to look it up. I'm well aware of how versatile all of those German dogs are if you just let em hunt. Hell, not only does my female GSP help with the Cats but my old Pete dog (GSP) trees Squirrel as a hobby when he's not Bird hunting.

Matter of fact, there used to be a guy over in Orofino who ran and caught allot of Bear with a pack of Draht's before he died in a MC wreck.
One of the coolest things I ever saw though was a guy who used a GSP in conjunction with a Falcon for upland game. He put on a demonstration for our Gun Dog club and we were all blown away.
I have some old 35mm pix I should digitalize and post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes,,,, Cats have a territory but the big Tom's will stray during breeding season which generally starts in early Dec.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that would be sweet to see, never gotten to watch a falconer ply their trade in person....unfortunately didnt get to push my GSP much but he definitely just wanted to hunt....his preference was birds if they were around but he tried to help with rabbits and gophers grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.