Print Thread
Hop To
B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking for a new sight for my wife's Bear Homewrecker. She has been pulling her shots a little left when shooting deer - not when we are practicing in our yard. It might be a torque issue, and she really also wants brighter pins for her 52 yr old eyes. Maybe a Sight Light recommendation as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kinda just went through this as well.

I ended up going back to the montana black gold with a single pin. It's very bright, of those I looked at and shot with, it's as good as any made and far better then most. With the sight light it's possible to shoot in total darkness with a spotlight.

We shoot rabbits and coons like this at night. I have shot a lot of Texas hogs this way. I think a 1/4" peep brightens up the view too.

The trijicon is very bright and glows permanently ( like its powered) without electricity for those states that have such regulations. It uses a radioactive vial of green fluid that glows like an electric light. It is also the most well engineered single pin sight with laser engraved yardage on the dial. It is a work of art, but very spendy

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana Black Gold

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a montana black gold. If it gets below 20F in snow Forget it! The light filter screen turns almost black and freezes and stays black until it thaws. I also think the larger diameter pins would be better for my 52 year old eyes. I just have the standard pins. Green seems to be my favorite color.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should talk to them about this. Maybe your photo optic filter is not working?

I hunt in cold weather frequently and I've never experienced this.

Mine turns dark ( by design) when it's very bright outside so that the pin does not become so bright it distorts the view of the target. However when it's cloudy or dark that filter is clear to allow all available light in.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have. They said they freeze and go dark. I doubt spot hawgs will. I own a black gold so I have learned to deal with it, if you are gonna hunt in near zero temps the gold will go dark.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the things I like about HHA is that you can adjust the amount of fiber optic exposed by screwing in or out the sight housing ring. This is what dictates the brightness of the pin, so it is completely within your own control.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Spot Hogg Bulletproof and be done with it. Spend the you money you saved on something else.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Update on the black gold. I left the bow out all night in the timber. It was 2 below and the sight shroud was clear. Once the light came from sunrise it slowly turned black. It must be very sensitive to the reflected light from the snow.

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
One of the things I like about HHA is that you can adjust the amount of fiber optic exposed by screwing in or out the sight housing ring. This is what dictates the brightness of the pin, so it is completely within your own control.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up going with this one (HHA OL-5519). I will update you all with how it works for her. If she doesn't like it, I may be putting it on my Creed!

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good choice. A single pin sight will eliminate that left/right issue you sometimes get with bright (especially lighted) pins in changing light. I don't worry about it anymore myself. I can't see what I'm trying to shoot in dim light a any distance anymore.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bludog
Originally Posted by MOGC

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up going with this one (HHA OL-5519). I will update you all with how it works for her. If she doesn't like it, I may be putting it on my Creed!

I bet you are going to love it...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You bastids are going to cost me a lot of money! laugh

Just ordered a Black Gold Ascent Ambush. Was a close call between that and the HHA. Thought the MBG might give better quiver clearance...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black Gold are a little pricey, but they are solid and have been really nice addition to my bow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Copper John is my favor brand when it comes to bow sights

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HHA sights are as tough and dependable as a sight is made today.

The balance beam adjustment method is difficult with a bow mounted quiver. I've had several and they all made adjustments tough with arrows in the quiver. I have since moved to the wheel or dial type which is far better for me. Especially with the adjustability of the Tight spot quiver.

A suggestion for the yardage tape. Staples sells adhesive labels for food containers that are dishwasher safe. They are nearly perfect for the width of the metal the "sticker" must adhere to as well. If they survive multiple dishwashings they will easily manage rain and snow!

They stick really well to metal. Then you mark the yardage, after which you peel and stick the clear plastic layer which covers the ink and prevents smearing or water damage.

The package comes with all sorts of sizes, several of which will work on single pin bows.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Update on the black gold. I left the bow out all night in the timber. It was 2 below and the sight shroud was clear. Once the light came from sunrise it slowly turned black. It must be very sensitive to the reflected light from the snow.

So were the pins still visible and reasonably bright when the shroud went dark? Or could you not see them at all? I was looking at getting a MBG but do hunt in snow occasionally here in MN...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MNDan if you use a black gold in Mn, and hunt in the snow you will need a light, or remove the shroud.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunted last night in 32 degrees in the snow the Black gold worked perfectly. So it is only screwing up below 20 degrees f or below.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (12344mag, 338reddog, 160user, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.