Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Considering a Field Bred English Cocker for my next dog. Anybody own one or have experience with the breed? Comparison to Boykin's ? Recommend any good breeders in the Southeast?
Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I grew up with Field bred English Cockers. They are great little dogs. Much more along the lines of a good field bred Springer than a Boykin in terms of drive and style.

http://www.fieldcockers.com/forsale.html

BORN to HUNT
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
FGD,
Do FBEC's have any genetic health issues to be aware of our have them tested for??
Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would look for certification of both parents for the following OFA Hips(good or better), PFK and Eye CERF, although not common in field bred dogs they are things to be aware of.

BORN to HUNT
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have had the extreme pleasure of hunting with a field bred springer for 13 years and then with a very nice Boykin for 12 seasons. I am a big fan of the flushing breeds and have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to hunt wild Iowa pheasants on almost unlimited acreage for over 25 years. I did meet up with a guy with a really small English Cocker and his dog was really good. it did not cover as much ground as my springer, but it did a really nice job for us on the couple of hunts that we shared. I think you would be very happy if you can find a pup to purchase from a good hunting background.

This is where I veer slightly off topic. My springer was a very different dog from my Boykin. The springer had more drive and covered a considerably larger piece of real estate during a hunt. However, I constantly had to be on her to stay in gun range and she was a very stubborn girl. The Boykin on the other hand, seldom needed to be slowed down and was really good at not getting too far out in front of you. If I decide to get another upland dog, I will more than likely get a Boykin from proven hunting lines. The Boykin was also extremely useful in fetching waterfowl and would track wounded deer. I dearly loved all of my dogs and treasure the memories of hunting with them.

Best of luck in your search for a new hunting partner.

Last edited by oznog; 11/26/14.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I had a top notch Boykin that I miss terribly. That said, I would love to give a field bred Springer or English Cocker a try. A Boykin will really bond with you so losing one hits like a hammer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good friend of mine recently got an very well bred English cocker from Ryglen Gundogs(I think I spelled that right). He's a professional Gundogs and wing shooting photographer and knows his dogs. He lives in NC so I believe Ryglen is close by. He has a wild rose kennels black lab and now the little cocker, who is only 6 months or so old. He just got back from hunting/shooting in S Dakota and seeing some of the pics and videos he posted that pup did really well for a barely started dog. Though I do not have a dog from them, based on what my friend told me and from what I've seen of the training videos he's posted, that pup is both great and normal for the breeder.

Craig

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The magazine "Spaniels in the Field" would be money well spent.

http://spanielsinthefield.com/

Looks like it currently is an on-line magazine. Shame that!!!!

A good FBEC is a joy to be around. Great in the field and house and travels easy in the vehicle. Some do need to learn to pace themselves if your daily hunts last over 4 hours.

I'm also starting to look into another English Cocker. Had one in the past and one currently. Both were fine field companions. Have also had hunting Springers and it would be hard to let what looked like a good one get away.

Many of the newer Springer and Cocker lines are softer on the flush than in the past. I would look for parents that still retained the older hard flush of past lines; although they are usually harder to keep up with.

FBEC are the "pocket rockets" of the flushing breeds.

Last edited by battue; 11/27/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I had a top notch Boykin that I miss terribly. That said, I would love to give a field bred Springer or English Cocker a try. A Boykin will really bond with you so losing one hits like a hammer.

FB Springers and Cockers wont give you any breaks in that arena either. wink

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for all the advice; pretty sure an FBEC will be Christmas present for the wifey and I.

Found this excellent video from a kennel in South Georgia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT0sowAK-Q

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Choose the right blood and they will hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice pics

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Battue, you are clearly blessed with a fine hunting dog there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Coming from one who understands means more than a little.

And I hope you don't mind, here is one of my favorites when Toby was getting his legs and learning the ropes from the Springer Abby. He followed her around and She taught him all he needed to know and then left.

Thank you,

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Very nice! A Springer, English Cocker, grouse, side by side, and my guess southwest Pennsylvania. It doesn't get any better than that. You should frame that picture!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by battue
Coming from one who understands means more than a little.

And I hope you don't mind, here is one of my favorites when Toby was getting his legs and learning the ropes from the Springer Abby. He followed her around and She taught him all he needed to know and then left.

Thank you,

[Linked Image]

That's just what the great ones do and we are blessed to have them in our lives for a short time.

BORN to HUNT
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by FoxtonGundogs
I would look for certification of both parents for the following OFA Hips(good or better), PFK and Eye CERF, although not common in field bred dogs they are things to be aware of.

I have been away hunting for most of the fall and just noticed this thread.

To my knowledge, PFK enzyme deficiency has not been diagnosed in fieldbred English Cockers. English Springers are a different story. OFA and CERF certifications are routinely done on breeding stock by most all reputable FBECS breeders. Happily, this breed has largely been held in "good hands" for breeding purposes to date and have relatively few hereditable
diseases.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Natty,
Just checked the thread and appreciate your input and will check those certs. I plan to make a trip to SW Georgia next week to look at a pup and hopefully bring him home. Sire out of one of the top FBEC kennels, Kinchafoonee. His parents are black&white and lemon&white. This one is black and white with black and lemon ticking starting to present.
The unique color variations of the breed really make them interesting, visually.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Maybe he will grow up to look like and perform like this?

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.