Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My son has a few.

That is what they look like. There is no way to discern them from the real thing unless you pick them up and fugg with them.

And his AK even "feels" like the real thing. Lots of metal on that thing.

Lots of fun on cats.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
comparing a few gun models, it appears its a Caspian, similar to this:

[Linked Image]

They are gas fed, and can shoot .2 and .25 pellets and are clip fed.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wondering here why the details of the other officer's leg / ankle injury have not been brought forward.

A.D. ?

...the timing on alla' this sure sucks, and this WILL become "Ferguson 2".

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

...the timing on alla' this sure sucks, and this WILL become "Ferguson 2".

Hell, Ohio already had the bro in Walmert get put down because he was roaming the isles with a SCAR pellet gun look-a-like.

That one blew over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I disagree with one point, fish head. The dispatcher was entirely correct in not saying the gun was "probably a toy." That was what the 911 caller said, but what if the 911 caller was wrong? Expecting a kid with a toy (and thus having your guard down a bit) but finding a gangbanger with a real gun instead could easily get an officer killed.

There are 12-yo gangbangers with real guns. They can and do set out to kill people - and cops. That MUST be in every officer's mind when he responds to a "man with a gun" dispatch.

What the dispatcher relayed and where the park was located could have have had an influence. Here's where I'm coming from.

An officer responding to a call of a kid threatening people with a toy gun in a white suburban park has an entirely different threat level vs a suspect with a gun at a park in the hood.

Different circumstances ... different perceptions ... potentially different outcomes. The officer's perception of the threat before he/she arrives on scene could affect the response.

Don't get me wrong either. I agree that a LEO has the right to protect him/herself at all times. Never throw caution to the wind.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
comparing a few gun models, it appears its a Caspian, similar to this:

[Linked Image]

They are gas fed, and can shoot .2 and .25 pellets and are clip fed.

[Linked Image]

Well, I guess the race to make them as realistic looking as possible has been run while I was in the toilet, AKA workforce, for 40 years.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toy and BB Guns should all be colored so the difference can be discerned in an instant.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 700LH; 11/24/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In a perfect world, you'd be right, fish head. But imagine a jihadist intent upon killing as many people as possible...in a white neighborhood.

Nope. The dispatcher has neither the ability nor the right to try to figure out ahead of time what the officer will encounter. The result of a wrong guess is simply too great a risk.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In one of the linked videos the police spokesman says the officers told the kid to "throw down his weapon" but then goes on to say he reached for it instead of raising his hands...

I suspect he will have to clarify that one in court...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, a question for the LEOs ...

Would you want to know that the caller thought it was a kid with a toy gun or is "man with a gun" all you want or need to know?

I don't know the answer. I'm not a cop.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my younger brother spent 4 hrs on the operating table after getting shot with a bb gun, if it had hit him in a vital spot it would of killed him.

i wasnt allowed to have an air gun of any sort growing up though i was given my own 22 at 12, reason....cousin of mine spent alot of hours on an OR table and nearly didnt make it out due to a pellet to the guts, whole episode was traumatic enough on his body docs figure it wound up stunting his growth....parents reasoning of 22 versus air rifle is ild never confuse a 22 with a toy....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's another twist.

Would you respond differently to "man with a gun" or "There's a ME male waving an AK-47 and shouting allah akbar"?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head

Would you want to know that the caller thought it was a kid with a toy gun or is "man with a gun" all you want or need to know?

I think the more information the field guys have, the better off everyone is. It's not the dispatcher's job to discern what may or may not be relevant to the call...

The dispatcher can give that info without determining the facts... "Caller advised the gun may be a toy, but unable to further confirm."

That info/statement may have gone a long way in this case, but maybe wouldn't have prevented the shooting, because in the end, the kid ignored officers and went for the gun, toy or not.

Lotsa 'what if's' floating around.

Last edited by rockinbbar; 11/24/14.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better safe than sorry. Schit happens. Should have raised his hands like the officer ordered..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell

However, Kucharski said race wasn�t the issue in Saturday�s shooting.

�This is not a black-and-white issue. This is a right-and-wrong issue. This is not a racial issue. This is about people doing their jobs the right way,� he told WOIO-TV.

Probably meant to infer that the officer that fired the fatal shot was also black.

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[/quote]

I think the more information the field guys have, the better off everyone is. It's not the dispatcher's job to discern what may or may not be relevant to the call...

The dispatcher can give that info without determining the facts... "Caller advised the gun may be a toy, but unable to further confirm."

That info/statement may have gone a long way in this case, but maybe wouldn't have prevented the shooting, because in the end, the kid ignored officers and went for the gun, toy or not.

Lotsa 'what if's' floating around. [/quote]

Completely reasonable, and being a 12 y/o stupid kid shouldn't be lethal. More information might have averted a tragedy.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just read "surveillance video of the shooting is "very clear" about what occurred."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head

Sure...but we never completely trust information dispatched.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I was a cop, my focus on this would be figuring out how to prevent such an event from reoccurring, not justifying it six ways to Sunday.

As long as the victim is a 300 lb. dirtbag who's trying to bash in your head, honest law-abiding productive folk are going to be behind you all the way.

Twelve year old kid with a bb gun? Harder to get behind that, even if it's "justified", especially considering the details may not all be available. Lose the backing of honest law-abiding productive folk, gonna be an awful lot harder or impossible to do your job.

I realize there are plenty of issues here, the neighborhood, size of the kid, dispatcher selective info, etc. I'm not talking about any of that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Completely reasonable, and being a 12 y/o stupid kid shouldn't be lethal. More information might have averted a tragedy.

unfortunately as some pointed out in this day and age 12 year olds are shooting people quite regularly in some places of this country....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.