Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yep...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
My first rifle was a M70 and I love a 3 position safety for no other reason than that is what I shot for years. I've got a lot of rifles and I can make them work just fine without a three position safety, but I do prefer them. Only time I read Field and Stream is at the Doctors or Barbers.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
TWO positions--on or off. No messing around, no wondering, no accidents in the middle, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out Rich Riely of High Tech Customs for a three position safety.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
TWO positions--on or off.

That's what SHE said.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by lonehawk
Is there anyone else that wishes Remington would make a three position safety on their 700's that locks the bolt when closed and can still unload the rifle with the safety in a safe position?

Buy a winchester....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
thats why i buy rugers.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
No...but I do like the old 2-position safety lever that locked the bolt closed.

Me too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good points about 3 position safeties:

Bolt is locked when safety is fully engaged. This means bolt cannot be inadvertently moved slightly "up"which will case a misfire since action is not now fully cocked.Yes there is some hunting where hunting "hot" is required.If you never have had to hunt "hot" and hunt long enough, eventually, you will.

With a Rem 700 safety not an issue if you constantly roll your thumb over the bolt handle to make sure it is fully "down" and not moved out of position by brush, or rubbing on your coat or the conduct of gremlins,which of course never happens to anyone on here. smile

Provides a middle position to field strip bolt without special tools, dimes table tops etc,. This is handy when rifle gets cold and wet or frozen or immediate access to inside of bolt will be required for cleaning in the field.

The Rem 700 lets you do this afield.....no?

Also, prudent hand loaders always run loaded ammo through rifle prior to hunts.Firing pin can be removed easily and done safely. Also helpful to hand loaders when the bolt is used as a "feeler gauge"for sized cases with the firing pin removed.

Shroud mounted safety less likely to be inadvertently hit when cycling rifle from shoulder in rapid fire, than a side tang mounted safety.Also less likely to freeze in place from snow and ice during tough conditions. (This may not be an issue from blinds or where weather does not go from freezing rain and snow to below freezing in the span of an hour or two).

If you can't get a 3 position M70 safety from safe to "fire" in the span of a second or two, more familiarity and practice with the rifle is required.If a 3 position were such an impediment to moving a fully engaged safety to "fire", then guys like Harry Manners would not have ended a career as a PH untouched by dangerous game. The notion that we can't do the same in the presence of a little old deer or elk is hard to swallow.

I didn't learn any of this reading F&S . Actually I can't recall that it was ever explained in that or any other magazine. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Some folks just can't figure out how to safely carry and hunt with a hot rifle. For those, there's the M700.

Other folks know how and when to carry hot. For those, there are the M70's, M77's, Montana's, Mausers, et. al.

Don't try to turn a turd into a real hunting rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't care if it has 2 positions or 3. I do want the bolt handle locked down

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've carried Remingtons hot for 35 years. 700's and 721's. Damn sure don't need a 3 position. Muskeg, you make no sense. mtmuley

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Good points about 3 position safeties:

Bolt is locked when safety is fully engaged. This means bolt cannot be inadvertently moved slightly "up"which will case a misfire since action is not now fully cocked.Yes there is some hunting where hunting "hot" is required.If you never have had to hunt "hot" and hunt long enough, eventually, you will.

With a Rem 700 safety not an issue if you constantly roll your thumb over the bolt handle to make sure it is fully "down" and not moved out of position by brush, or rubbing on your coat or the conduct of gremlins,which of course never happens to anyone on here. smile

Provides a middle position to field strip bolt without special tools, dimes table tops etc,. This is handy when rifle gets cold and wet or frozen or immediate access to inside of bolt will be required for cleaning in the field.

The Rem 700 lets you do this afield.....no?

Also, prudent hand loaders always run loaded ammo through rifle prior to hunts.Firing pin can be removed easily and done safely. Also helpful to hand loaders when the bolt is used as a "feeler gauge"for sized cases with the firing pin removed.

Shroud mounted safety less likely to be inadvertently hit when cycling rifle from shoulder in rapid fire, than a side tang mounted safety.Also less likely to freeze in place from snow and ice during tough conditions. (This may not be an issue from blinds or where weather does not go from freezing rain and snow to below freezing in the span of an hour or two).

If you can't get a 3 position M70 safety from safe to "fire" in the span of a second or two, more familiarity and practice with the rifle is required.If a 3 position were such an impediment to moving a fully engaged safety to "fire", then guys like Harry Manners would not have ended a career as a PH untouched by dangerous game. The notion that we can't do the same in the presence of a little old deer or elk is hard to swallow.

I didn't learn any of this reading F&S . Actually I can't recall that it was ever explained in that or any other magazine. smile

Sweet Jesus, if you can't disassemble a Remington 700 in the field you shouldn't be trusted with a rifle to begin with.

I've no doubt much stumps you Bob.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knew we would get to the carrying hot BS..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I was thinking about this the other day, so I might as well throw a log on the fire.

We were told as kids the safety is a mechanical device, and to never trust it. Hence don't carry hot.

Virtually in the same sentence we were told to ALWAYS treat a firearms as if it were loaded.

Bearing those things in mind, doesn't it boil down to muzzle discipline? Do you trust yourself with a gun ( hot or cold) or don't you?

There...that oughta spool a few people up..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Do all you cold chamber advocates carry your shotguns with empty chambers when hunting pheasant/grouse/quail too ?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The one thing I like about a 3-position safety is when I'm sizing brass for a slight crush fit on the shoulder or necking it down to leave a false shoulder. Putting the safety in the middle position and chambering the case makes it easier to feel the amount of resistance I'm getting because the lugs aren't camming hard when I close the bolt.

No big deal either way though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you are always supposed to carry cold, then there's no reason for a safety at all and no gunmaker would waste time and money putting one on there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Do all you cold chamber advocates carry your shotguns with empty chambers when hunting pheasant/grouse/quail too ?

Not a one.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.