Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yes, the higher cheek rise makes for a more comfortable fit. I tried lows with a cheapie 3-9x40 scope but did not like the recoil directly into my cheek. Mediums feel a lot better IMO with a 40mm scope.

I used to have a non thumbhole stock set up with a scope. Never had an uncomfortable feeling with it on the range. I think when a gun is naked at the store, they just seem odd until you throw a scope on and play with different mounts.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Don't know if this will help the OP or not as I have not used a muzzleloader since Carter was in office, but we purchased an Accura this season and have hunted it about two weeks now. It has many similar features to the Optima so the comparison might be worthwhile.

We bought ours because the mechanism was so easy to open and use, it was the only one we tried that my wife could comfortably open and close. I wanted an encore, but she found it too difficult. The easy open action really is nice, as well as the trigger was fine right out of the box. Turns out it is both very accurate and very easy to clean. We find the breechplug design to be superior to that of the TC we were comparing it too when shopping. Based on these things I can recommend the modern CVA.

The downside to both CVA models is the stock. My wife is ok with it after I cut two inches or so off and put an new buttpad on, but I don't care for it at all. I can't get a cheekwield and the grip is uncomfortably thin. I can shoot it ok from kneeling, but that is it.

If it was up to me I would sell it at a loss and move on, as I value ergonomics more than the ease of cleaning. However, the decision is up to her. I guess that will ultimately depend on if she gets the big buck she has been hunting this season!

Hope the Optima works out for you!

PS. We are using medium Burris signature rings and a Weaver grand slam scope. My wife is shorter than I am by a considerable amount and she seems to be able to see just fine, but I can't get a comfortable head position at all.

Last edited by RexM; 11/24/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the input RexM.

I can't use a scope on a muzzle-loader here, so cheek weld with a scope isn't an issue if it fits and shoulders well with irons.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bigblock455
high mount with 3-9x40
[Linked Image]

high with 3-10x44
[Linked Image]

Seems a bit on the high side to me, but everyone's different I guess.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by goalie
Thanks for the input RexM.

I can't use a scope on a muzzle-loader here, so cheek weld with a scope isn't an issue if it fits and shoulders well with irons.

For iron site use the long barrel on the Acura might be just the thing. I don't recall if the Optima barrel is the same length or not, but if it is it might be just right. The front site that came on ours is pretty good, as it is a good size and shows up well. But I think I would have to change the rear sight to some kind of peep sight, probably a Skinner or Lyman. We use the Lyman with an XS sight systems front sight on a 44 lever action for brush work and find it to be a good set up.

BTW: I forgot to add that our rifle has the Thumbhole stock. I would think the pistol grip stock would be better for iron sites but don't know for sure.

good luck to you,

Rex

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bigblock455
yes, the higher cheek rise makes for a more comfortable fit. I tried lows with a cheapie 3-9x40 scope but did not like the recoil directly into my cheek. Mediums feel a lot better IMO with a 40mm scope.

I used to have a non thumbhole stock set up with a scope. Never had an uncomfortable feeling with it on the range. I think when a gun is naked at the store, they just seem odd until you throw a scope on and play with different mounts.

That's not what he asked you. he asked if the TH stock on the Optima is higher, and made for a scope. Which we both know it is.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
This is my take on CVA stocks.

Wolf........Only one stock available, and it's for the open sights. You'll only have a chin weld with a scope.

Optima.....Regular stock is for open sights, and too low for a scope.

Optima......... TH stock is made for a scope, and too high for open sights.

Accura.....Regular stock is made for open sights, and too low for a scope.

Accura.....TH stock is sort of a compromise. Works with open sights, and a scope, but isn't ideal for either.

Accura MR.....It uses the Apex stock, and is made for a scope. Way too high for open sights.

Apex.....I've never owned an Apex, and since the MR uses the same stock, i'm going to guess it's made for a scope.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thats a good price for the Optima V2. I would suggest the DNZ mount for it vs the Durasight. Its similar to the Durasight but you have more options for height and i think a longer relief option too.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-cva/

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Thats a good price for the Optima V2. I would suggest the DNZ mount for it vs the Durasight. Its similar to the Durasight but you have more options for height and i think a longer relief option too.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-cva/

About half the weight too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the "regular" stocked Optima is perfect for iron sights, so I would guess it sucks for a scope. I was quite pleased today at the range after picking up one at Fleet Farm. About 1.5-2" at 50 yards with irons using two 777 pellets and a shockwave bullet.

Breech plug easily unscrews by hand after 8 shots.

The trigger is amazing for something that cost under 250 bucks OTD. It has no creep, and breaks crisp. No clue as to weight, but it is about as light as I would go for a hunting rifle.

I like. Hopefully it will get used this year and add another deer to the chest-freezer.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After cleaning it, I am even more impressed. The cleaning was really easy, and the whole thing appears to be a really simple design.

KISS isn't bad on a hunting weapon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
if you feel any grittiness when installing the breech plug, just use a breech brush and clean that out. A 54cal brush will fit it if you do not have that large breech brush.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the advice bigblock455, my breech brush for my Knight fits perfectly and made it buttery smooth. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got the Optima Pro, SS, had it for several years, now
get to use it again this fall.

What if any differences are there in these models, V2 ?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
just the breech lever design and the ramrod.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[quote=gitem_12]Any of you guys used the Cva's are they generally pretty accurate?, reliable? [/quote}

I have 3. They all shoot about MOA with Barnes T-EZ and .45 plated lead. I killed two 10 days back with the Optima and two with the Kodiak magnum.

They're so simple there isn't much can go wrong.

Every deer I ever pointed one at is now dead because the bullet went right where I wanted it. I guess that's reliable.

FWIW mine use 66 grains by weight of Black Horn 209 and a Barnes T-EZ. Gets about 1700 and great accuracy. The four I shot this year all died in their tracks.

I like the Kodiak better, but the Optima works good too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Any of you guys used the Cva's are they generally pretty accurate?, reliable?

I have 3. They all shoot about MOA with Barnes T-EZ and .45 plated lead. I killed two 10 days back with the Optima and two with the Kodiak magnum.

They're so simple there isn't much can go wrong.

Every deer I ever pointed one at is now dead because the bullet went right where I wanted it. I guess that's reliable.

FWIW mine use 66 grains by weight of Black Horn 209 and a Barnes T-EZ. Gets about 1700 and great accuracy. The four I shot this year all died in their tracks.

I like the Kodiak better, but the Optima works good too.

The FOUR you shot?

Where in MN are you hunting? 601?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by goalie

The FOUR you shot?

Where in MN are you hunting? 601?

In a place that needs a lot more of them shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice.

My freezer is only half-full, so I am going to hit a place here in 601 for some metro-muzzle-loading next week and hopefully get another one.

I hope it has half as many deer as wherever you are hunting.

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One other question Miles: do you think the BH209 is worth it? I was going to hit the muzzle loader season with my old Knight, and Fleet Farm had the Optima on sale, so I got one. I only have had it out twice, and am using pellets just because that is what I did with my Knight, and I don't have a ton of time to work up a load before Saturday..

Anyhow, the 777 pellets are shooting pretty well, and much cleaner than the Pyrodex pellets I used to use. Since I am not scoping it, I don't know if it's worth spending a lot of load-development time on something I will likely only use out to 75 yards.

Is the performance jump that great that it's worth it? I can easily get the replacement breech plug if it is for next year.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 77 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.