Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Back in the day, the rule of thumb was a 40 yard shot with a compound bow while deer hunting. These days with the newest speed bows around 335fps, can you extend that range? What say you? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Gary, with flatter trajectory, it is easier to hit targets beyond 40 yards, for sure. But in a hunting situation, the longer shots give an animal more time to react to the sound of the string. I shoot an RPM 360, but still don't shoot much beyond 35-40 yards. Just my opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Archery is a close range intimate event if you're a hunter. With that in mind there is no difference today then at any time in the past. Getting close is the thrill and the skill

If you're a shooter, then longer ranges seem to be the trend. However Physics is still the same. Shooting 330fps means you're shooting sub 400 grain arrows. These light arrows shed speed faster so the end result is less noticeable where power is concerned the further away your target is. Heavy arrows retain their speed longer.

Heavy arrows are quieter to shoot, easier on the bow, penetrate by a huge margin better. They do not shoot 330fps, more likely in the 250-280 range.

Having had plenty of hunters with both kinds of equipment in Africa hunting with me. I have seen the absolute failure of high velocity arrows at 50 yards many times!

I have also seen the brilliant performance of heavy 450-500 plus grain arrows at 30 yards. There must be a happy medium, I suppose? Something in the area of 275-300 fps with 400-450 grain arrows?

In fairness, if you can shoot 70plus pounds easily at 30" draw then you can shoot 450-500 grain arrows pushing 300fps. Just not a lot of guys capable of this day in day out.

Draw length is a key factor in overall power. A 26" draw typical of many of my lady hunters is not going to have the same power that a 30" draw will. I had a fella with a 26.5" draw. He was about 5'5" tall. But his bow was 80lbs! Those short stiff arrows were like crossbow bolts from that bow!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
No change for me, just less pins, and flatter shots.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
15 yards is what I came up with due to deer movement many many years ago.

Fact is these minor improvements don't do anything for my max range.

Its still 15 and will remain that way. I"m 200% at that range and closer. Beyond that they can and will move and i"m simply not willing to risk that.

This is our deer. Your deer may vary. Or elk or moose etc...

Mule deer I"d heard would not move years ago... which is why my single 40 yard shot was successful I guess. Deer even seemed to watch the arrow come in. Our deer here, would step off to the side at the shot, watch the arrow go through were they used to be and then snort at you.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The majority of my shots have been < 20 yds. I can comfortably shoot a bit further, but usually decide to get 'em in closer, more likely under 10 yds. Fabulous sport when you ground hunt.

Also, my Browning compound is over 15 yrs old if I reckon. A dinosaur by many's standards 'cept mine. Works just dandy for me. wink smile

-Ken

Last edited by CaptEdIII; 11/24/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
40 yds is my max unless that sucker is HUGE and he is totally relaxed and oblivious to my presence. And he has to be broadside

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rost, I've had a mule deer buck wheel at the shot, and i missed him clean at 45 yards. Granted it wasn't a very fast bow. I've even had javelinas sidstep arrows.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
40 yds is my max unless that sucker is HUGE and he is totally relaxed and oblivious to my presence. And he has to be broadside
Never understood this logic... He's huge so I take an iffy shot I wouldn't normally take
My thinking is a Huge animal deserves as much if not more discretion than anther deer

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Check out these A-holes. 120 yards.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 11/24/14.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Never understood this logic... He's huge so I take an iffy shot I wouldn't normally take
My thinking is a Huge animal deserves as much if not more discretion than anther deer

Because I practice at those longer distances regularly. I can make the shot. I just choose not to most of the time.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by rost495
15 yards is what I came up with due to deer movement many many years ago.

Pretty sound logic there. I've noticed the same thing, seems a deer on full alert isn't fast enough to 'jump the string' if he's 15 yards or closer to me.

I can shoot accurately to 35 yards no problem, but in the field there's simply to many things that can go wrong at that range and I don't like to shoot over 25 yards at a relaxed deer, still do prefer them 15 yards or under if possible.

Originally Posted by CaptEdIII

Also, my Browning compound is over 15 yrs old if I reckon. A dinosaur by many's standards 'cept mine. Works just dandy for me. wink smile
-Ken

Laffin here, I feel the same way. I shoot a Jennings Carbonmaster Extreme and a PSE Baby G Force, both 2000/2001? models and frankly, I wouldn't trade either one of them for any brand new bow of any brand/model.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think 40 yards on whitetail is a long shot (perhaps too long). A lot can go wrong with (Minnesota) whitetails.
For some reason western (Idaho) deer seem more curious and less flighty.Therefore they do not seem to "jump the string as much" Plus the foliage is hardly as dense. Elk seem dull and have a hard time jumping the string. I think out west your maximum range depends on your ability to group your weapon....out to perhaps 70 yards(not me, I like 50). But Minnesota whitetails are too skittish to attempt such long shots.IMO

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think whitetails start to look real small at 30 yds.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Was about to post the same sentiments. I can't stand the thought of someone risking what they normally would not, just due to antler size.

The largest bucks I've not shot at were due to instances where I was not 110% sure...

Glad I"m not the only one with that sentiment.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Because I practice at those longer distances regularly. I can make the shot. I just choose not to most of the time.

Anyone can hit on a target. If you don't shoot game at XX distance all the time, you should not, at least IMO, do it just because its huge. I"d be afraid to take a shot on a huge deer, if it wasn't the same shot I take on game all the time...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW if you want to talk about how accurate one is on target... in the day I could hit a clay target size target, at 80-100 yards probably 95% of the time.

Of course I worked in an archery shop, shot every last day of the year unless sick, and shot a LOT..

I NEVER would think of taking a shot at game at that distance...

Ok, off my soapbox.

And btw its cool for anyone to do what they want, as long as legal... just doesnt' sit well with me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Witnessed an 87 and followed up on a 110 yard shot. The 87 I tracked for 300 yards and 4 hrs. Lost blood, found the bull 5 days later rotted and eaten by a bear and wolfs 1.1 miles away as the crow flies. The 110 found blood and at 40 yards nada. Searched for 5 hrs and told the hunter good luck.
Long range archery is BS, I can hit a target at 80, so what it doesn't move. 110 yards flight time somewhere around a second and a half. I can move more that ten yards in that time frame. Passed on shots at 70,80,90 and about 100 this year. Biggest bull in my life, so goes the game. Maybe next time.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also think you need to think about how loud your bow is. I almost think the "jump" from the string is more exaggerated close to a loud noise.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Well for me it is 30 yards. I got an old Hoyt bow (circa 2002) and I only hunt mountain goats. My bow is super heavy but I like it because the newer bows may be light but hey are harder to shoot accurately.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,047
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.