Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Hey Guys,
been thinking of getting a decent pair of binoculars and I am having difficulty wading through all of the different models/options choices available to me. Main uses would be:

1. glassing fields/sloughs for waterfowl
2. northern mn stand hunts (bow/rifle)
3. the occasional 'spot and stalk' western hunts when I get the chance.

was looking to spend about $250-$300 possibly. What do I want/need?

thanks in advance for any and all replies
-Northerner

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You need the phone number to Doug at Cameraland.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have similar needs & just got a pair of Vortex Talon HD 8x 42mm from Doug which are just above your price range ($380) and am BLOWN AWAY!!! The Diamondback 8x32mm would be a great option I've looked through them & they're excellent.

He has other stuff in your price range. The link is on the main board page just below the title of this Optics Board. Cameraland is great to do business with and Vortex is a great company optics- & service-wise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Notherner,

The first thing to learn is you don't get what you pay for. You get what you shop for. Forget about price and start at the bottom end. My Nikon 7X35 cost about a third of the Zen-Rays but kicked the Zen-Ray's butt in resolution ability.

Do you want low light performance? Do you want wide field of view? Do you want crystal clear optics? Do you want to impress yourself or someone else?

Last edited by Ringman; 11/24/14.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zen Ray ED3 Open Box

Get these from Camera Land for $329. and don't look back.

Still amazed every time I use them.

Dan

Last edited by Dantheman; 11/24/14.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow those Zen Ray binos look like an insane deal!

I'd be all over that...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The leupold BX3 Mojave 8x32 and 8x42 (when they come out) are great binocs for the price. I love my 8x32's.... Extremely clear and lightweight. Great for my kind of hunting...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would look at the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 ATB's... If you loose them overboard, no bfd... they're only 130.00, waterproof too.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use Leupold Cascades 10x42 for uses similar to what you have listed. Commonly, $299 with black armor. If you want 8x42 instead, they will run you about $30-$50 less.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We have similar needs not sure how you can bet Nikon Monarchs

No too familiar but I bet those Zen Rays would be very good

Whatever you decide do yourself a favor buy a shoulder harness trust me

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 11/25/14.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For waterfowl searching and stand hunts wide FOV would be better. I guess something in the 8x32 to 8x43 range would be ideal for weight, balance, etc. Maybe even 6x, but that could be pushing it for western hunts.

Roof (straight) is more comfortable to use and easier to wateproof, but more expensive. Porro is cheaper and for the money may offer better resolution than cheap Roof.

You may get a better deal by purchasing used, but $300 or so seems to be the price range of excellent optics for the amount of cash spent even on new equipment.
If you have a sporting/optics store near, go over there ans try them for comfort, ease of use.
Pentax, Nikon, Steiner, Zen Rays, Bushnell elites/legends, Vortex will all have something in your price range with excellent quality.
4 or 5 years back I got an excellent deal on new Pentax DCF SP which run 5-600$ and got them for about $280 or so on ebay. But those ZenRays linked may be all you need and perform way more than what you expected anything in its price.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the latest 10x42 Swarovision, and have compared my Zen ED2 8X43 to them as well as several other top models. Other than marginal eye relief for glasses, they are wonderful for the money. Maybe the ED3 would be better with glasses ?

Originally Posted by Dantheman
Zen Ray ED3 Open Box

Get these from Camera Land for $329. and don't look back.

Still amazed every time I use them.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Notherner,

The first thing to learn is you don't get what you pay for. You get what you shop for. Forget about price and start at the bottom end. My Nikon 7X35 cost about a third of the Zen-Rays but kicked the Zen-Ray's butt in resolution ability.

Do you want low light performance? Do you want wide field of view? Do you want crystal clear optics? Do you want to impress yourself or someone else?

+1 I am with you. Until I can find a pair of roofs that can equal performance for anywhere near the price I will keep going porro.

Wish more folks made a 7x35. I think they are the perfect mix of everything needed for commmon hunting situations and most outdoor activity.

The Nikon Extreme will give you a huge field of view (really important to me), plus great brightness and depth for significantly less price than a decent roof prism. They make it in an 8x40, another great size, too..

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 23 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,207
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.