Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, after hitting the range today with the new Optima, I realized that the little percussion cap carrier I used to use with my Knight won't work for carrying the 209 primers.

Anyone have any recommendations for something to carry them in besides the box they come in?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
look at the end of your recoil pad, see those screw holes? They are handy at carrying 2 primers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They have cappers for the 209 primers. I just use the package they come in at the range. For hunting I just put a few in my pocket the morning of the hunt. They're big enough to work fine in a pocket.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
exactly what i use fish head. I keep my bullets and primers in the longer 10ml tube. Drop a primer in, drop a bullet, repeat 2 more times.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My pocket has extras in case I drop one in the mud.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
if you need something to get you by for now. use a 1/8" thick piece of cardboard, 2 layers of duct tape and then punch some X holes. I used one of those for a couple years because i wasnt paying $8 for a plastic deal that held 6 primers LOL.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Even with an inline, I still carry a possibles bag. The small inner pocket holds the 209s, however I like the idea of dropping one into the tube with the bullet.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use one of the holders/cappers that takes 10 primers . Since I ride a mule, when I move locations, I take off the primer and chuck it instead of trying to put it back in the capper, so I might use 3-4 a day.

I also carry the Quick Loads that has a slot on top for a 209.

Instead of a Possibles Bag,I wear military camo pants with cargo pockets and keep what I need readily in them. The other stuff goes in my day pack

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/24/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
you guys should look into leather belt bags, they are really handy. I had a custom one made thats really small, maybe 5"x4" and it closes snug over my powder tubes. I never have to carry any tools to take my inline apart and its super nice having that on your hip and so low profile.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/562670/thompson-center-buttstock-u-view-flex-loader

But I threw away those cheap loaders that it came with and opted for the BH209 ones: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/001650488/Blackhorn_209_Powder_Measure_6_Per_Pack_

I have 2 loaded with loose powder and one with 2 projectiles in it. That gives me 1 muzzle shot, 2 back up shots, and 4 primers if needed.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Checkout wedding bubble tubes. They are like $20/100 at craft shops. You just need to rinse them out and remove the bubble hoop.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is a question for those that carry powder in plastic tubes other than what is sold commercially for that specific purpose.

When Muzzle Loaders started to get popular back in the mid -70's , it was advised not to carry black powder in plastic tubes because static electricity could set it off. I don't know if this would be true with substitutes like Pyrodex or 777, but I suspect it would also apply to those if this is accurate.

What is the general consensus of those that carry powder like this? Is it a worry, wive's tale or?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hard to say, but BP does come in plastic bottles now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Here is a question for those that carry powder in plastic tubes other than what is sold commercially for that specific purpose.

When Muzzle Loaders started to get popular back in the mid -70's , it was advised not to carry black powder in plastic tubes because static electricity could set it off. I don't know if this would be true with substitutes like Pyrodex or 777, but I suspect it would also apply to those if this is accurate.

What is the general consensus of those that carry powder like this? Is it a worry, wive's tale or?

The vials I've got have zero static electricity issues so no worries. OTOH, my TC clear plastic powder measure gets static cling when you adjust it. I have to keep a fabric softener sheet in my ML possibles tool box to get rid of the static cling with the measure.

They're two different types of plastic.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by saddlesore

The vials I've got have zero static electricity issues so no worries. OTOH, my TC clear plastic powder measure gets static cling when you adjust it. I have to keep a fabric softener sheet in my ML possibles tool box to get rid of the static cling with the measure.

They're two different types of plastic.

Fabric soften sheets. Great Idea. I thought the jugs that BP came in had some type of anti static treatment in them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
+1

I'm using BH209, and yes it sticks in my TC clear plastic powder measure from static cling as well as most any plastic. The first thing I do is take laundry fabric soften sheets and rub the inside and cap down with it. Nothing sticks after a treatment with that. It lasts for quite a long while, dependent of course on usage.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just to be clear I have not had to wipe the vials with a fabric softener sheet. I carry my speedloaders in my front pants pocket and they don't build up any static.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use these, and use a dry patched round ball to separate the powder and bullet. That way i can moved the PRB around for different length bullets and powder loads. I get no powder cling.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/153/1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a speed loader....

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am trying these, as I had Cabelas points to burn:

T/C Primer Caddy

Got one of each to try out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I carry extras in an aspirin bottle. I add a cleaning patch to the bottle to keep them from rattling.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always found the base of a shotgun shell a handy way to cart them around.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
get a tc 209 primer holder. they hold about 10 primers fill it up and with a metal key ring fasten it to the front sling swivel on the rifle sling. mine have been on my gun for 5-6 years now. they are sealed primers anyway water won't hurt them at all. i've layed them out on my deck rail before in a month of weather and they still go off.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
get a tc 209 primer holder. they hold about 10 primers fill it up and with a metal key ring fasten it to the front sling swivel on the rifle sling. mine have been on my gun for 5-6 years now. they are sealed primers anyway water won't hurt them at all. i've layed them out on my deck rail before in a month of weather and they still go off.

That is what I ordered. Thanks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I carry primers, powder and bullets in 12/14 ml medical sample tubes. I usually carry half a dozen primes, 3/4 spare bullets in sabots in a single tube and 3/4 powder charges each in it's own tube.

Works perfect, the tubes are the right size to pour directly into the barrels. The tubes are graduated so you can just use the graduation to measure powder.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
4 snapped into the top caps of my speed loaders, the other under the Butler Creek flip up rain cap when the loaded rifle is not in use.

The soft metal that the primer is manufactured from has NEVER scratched the front scope lens.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm a rebel and use the tool they built for the job, link here.

Last edited by colodog; 11/30/14. Reason: spelling

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog
I'm a rebel and use the tool they built for the job, link here.

thats what i have hanging off my front sling swivel.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I was thinking the same thing- in a shotgun cartridge where they belong. smile Now, if you asked me how I carry extra flints or #11 caps- loose in my shooting bag or in a capper, respectively. Musket caps, for when I unlimber a percussion musket, carry well in either an original or repro Civil War cap box on the belt. Would probably work well for 209's too.

Shooting bag= that which contains everything necessary to load/maintain the rifle in the field.

Possibles bag= a separate bag into which goes the rest of the junk one might "possibly" need for a day afield.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/07/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I was thinking the same thing- in a shotgun cartridge where they belong. smile Now, if you asked me how I carry extra flints or #11 caps- loose in my shooting bag or in a capper, respectively. Musket caps, for when I unlimber a percussion musket, carry well in either an original or repro Civil War cap box on the belt. Would probably work well for 209's too.

Shooting bag= that which contains everything necessary to load/maintain the rifle in the field.

Possibles bag= a separate bag into which goes the rest of the junk one might "possibly" need for a day afield.

I never get into traditionalist vs modernists debates but I'm going to make an exception ... this one time. smile

All I need to carry in the field with a shotgun, CF rifle, or my modern inline is some extra "shells".

A speedloader with a primer, sabot/bullet, and a powder charge is an extra "shell". The ramrod is attached to my ML and that's all I need to load it.

I don't have the need to carry a whole bag full of possibles.

Well ... except for a sammich, something to drink, and TP. grin

I'm a minimalist modernist. laugh

B
B
I use little plastic vials that I keep in my shirt pocket. Each vial will hold 9 primers and I keep a spare in my pack. Illinois law requires that weapons be unloaded when walking on a road or road right of way and removing the primer from a muzzleloader qualifies as unloaded. I've been carrying my primers this way since 2010 and have yet to drop a primer or lose a vial. They are clear plastic, so I can easily see how many primers are left. I've no idea where I got them, so replacing them could be difficult. It's like a lot of things, it works for me, but you may have a system that works equally well for you. The T/C primer caddy looks interesting, but I don't like having the base of the primer exposed. I shoot BH209 which I carry preweighed in other plastic vials and Barnes 250 gr. TEZ bullets. I fired three shots this year, once to sight in and two deer downed. I'm so pleased with my muzzleloader that it's my deer hunting rifle of choice. Illinois doesn't allow centerfire rifles for deer hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you need some more vials here's where to get them.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9307034/1

I made speedloaders by gluing them end to end with a bit of hot melt glue and wrapped them with some clear shipping tape. They work great.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use the TC red rubbery thing for my 209 primers. Holds 6 or 7 and its flexible so you can get them out easily and the backside of the holes are closed so debris doesnt get into the business end of them. they are like $5 or so. and since they are soft, they don't rattle around with other things in your pocket.

Salmonhead
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I use the TC red rubbery thing for my 209 primers. Holds 6 or 7 and its flexible so you can get them out easily and the backside of the holes are closed so debris doesnt get into the business end of them. they are like $5 or so. and since they are soft, they don't rattle around with other things in your pocket.

I got one of those, and one that holds three and has a chain on it that I attached to my front sling-swivel.

Worked great hunting. This site, as usual, comes through with good advice.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use the plastic round container that ear plugs come in. Fits well into your pocket and you can hold plenty

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Threads like this (and the one on using pistol bullets) are why it is great to be a member here. We are new to Muzzle Loading. I bought the wife a T/C Triumph for Christmas and I'm still working through all the little differences (sorta) between ML and CF rifle reloading and hunting.

Really like the rifle though, and looking forward to tinkering with it!

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by salmonhead

Yep and here's a pic....
209 primer-holder dogbone

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These work great and will last for years. Mine is over 20 now and still as good as it ever was.
http://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Pe...98067&sr=8-9&keywords=209+primer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
417 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.